1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Do They Stack Up?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was at a Christian bookstore in the Seoul area yesterday. I thought I would give the breakdown of Bible translations found on two stacks of shelves.

On the first stack of seven shelves there were 40 TNIV's, and 120 NIV's.

On the second stack were 32 NLTse's, 26 ESV's,8 HCSB's,7 Living Bibles ( Yes. The old ones with Green covers), 1 REB and and a mixture of others.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

NIV, TNIV are in demand. The NLTse not doing too back. I see ESV doing good too.

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My local Christian bookstore has mostly NIV's and NLT's. Followed by NKJV, NASB, and KJV's. I had to buy my TNIV at Kmart because the Christian bookstore does not carry any.:(

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, old boycotts and a flood of misinformation has taken a toll on Today's New International Version.I am still waiting for apologies from Wayne Grudem &co. for their besmirching tactics.I don't mean a personal apology -- but one directed toward the International Bible Society in particular.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bump

I would like to know the variety of versions being displayed in the Christian bookstores in your area folks. Which ones predominate? What's the breakdown? Could you ask the clerks which ones are the most popular?

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I recently asked about that. The NIV still the bestseller. But I've noticed a good collection of the following:

NLT
    ESV
    TNIV
    NRSV
    HCSB
    NKJV
    NASB
    KJV

Not in that order.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I usually don't go to "Christian" bookstores. It's too depressing to see all the bad books there by people like Osteen, Hinn, Copeland, T D Jakes, and worse. What's really depressing is when some of these authors like Osteen and Jakes are prominently displayed.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

How Do They Stack Up?

Probably not very well, IMO.

Stacked flat, the first stack would probably be about 10 feet high, and the second would be about 6 feet high. Factor in the slightly 'padded' covers of the Old Living Bibles, and I suspect the results might approach :tonofbricks:were one to even so much as breathe on these 'stacks', and I am virtually sure the vibrations from slamming a door would bring them crashing down. [How do you even stack them 10 feet high (3 meters, for those of you who may not reside in the Unitd States), in the first place?]

BTW, the particular versions found in these stacks would have no bearing on this, not even if there was a stack of KJV Only. :D

I just couldn't (or wouldn't) pass up the multiple, obvious, and all too easy openings for this one! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

#8 EdSutton, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2008
  9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your "answer" did not stack-up Eds. Tell us the distribution of Bible versions at your local Christian bookstore(s) please.

10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

May I ask why you want to know this? In most Christian bookstores that I have been to in the South it pretty much the standard fare. NIV, TNIV, NLT, NASB, ESV, KJV, NKJV, KJV..... And, in LifeWay stores the HCSB

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm just curious.The versions which are the most plentiful are usually the biggest sellers in a bookstore. I wanted to see how the various versions are faring. Also,I wanted to see if that boycott of the TNIV, which began years ago, is still on-going.

You didn't give much of a break-down.You listed a number of versions;but I have no idea approximately how many of each were displayed.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No clue. [​IMG]

I've not been inside a Christian book store for a year and a half, and when I am there, I generally am looking for something specific, be it a Bible or otherwise. The closest I have come to such, recently, was at the SBC in Indianapolis at the Lifeway booth, and I did not take any particular note of Bibles, looking for a gift for my bride, not Bibles particularly, although I did grab an HSCB when they announced they were being sold for 75% off, so I got her one. I figured a $40 Bible for a 'sawbuck' was a pretty good deal. Sorry, I cannot help any more on your question.

Ed

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

In the Lifeway stores here in middle and east Tennessee, the majority of shelf space is dedicated to the KJV. I don't recall seeing the TNIV, but I'm going to Lifeway this week, so I'll check for you if you'd like.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes,please do Amy. And if they don't carry the NLTse and TNIV ask them why.Thanks.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ok. :)

I'll let you know in a couple of days.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ok Rippon, I'm back from my investigations. :laugh:

At Lifeway outside of Nashville, there were no TNIV's. I asked the salesman and he said they don't sell well enough to stock them, but they can order them. There were tons of NIV's, NLT's (no NLTse), quite a few ESV's, NASB's, KJV's, NKJV's, and HCSB's. But I think the NIV and NLT's were the biggest stocked versions by far. I was surprised. In other Lifeway Stores, I have seen mostly KJV's. I guess it just depends on which part of Tennesse you shop in.

Hope this helps. :wavey:

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Amy.So the salseman said TNIV's "don't sell well enough to stock them." Hmm,did they stack them in the first place?

It's puzzling that there were no NLTse's. You know the difference,don't you? A major indication is that the publishing date for the latter edition is 2004;not 1996.

So, if these things are indeed the case,that store does not sell sequels.( A very small chuckle-type joke.)Seriously,why can't they stock the improved editions of these versions? I know you are just the messenger. It was just a rhetorical question.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I didn't ask him if they stocked the TNIV in the first place. Ooops.
    I don't know why they didn't stock the NLTse. I assume it didn't sell well either.
    One thing I should mention, is that the store I went to was a smaller version of Lifeway. A store in a bigger city might have had those versions. But, east TN, where I live is pretty conservative and that may help to explain the low sales of those 2 particular versions, but I don't really know. Anyway, it was interesting to see how they "stacked" up. Thanks.

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think it depends on where in the South you are, maybe. I have never been in a Christian bookstore where there were mostly KJVs. I've been where there are quite a few of them, but never more than NIVs, which seem to be the most popular here.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay,on Saturday I checked out a larger Christian Bookstore which I frequent about once a month.I'll tell all of you the top five translations on display.I'll just be doing the grand total of 14 shelves=two stacks.I'm not counting the parallel Bibles.

NIV -- 114
    TNIV ---26
    NLTse --13
    1611 KJV --7
    NIrV -------6

I was told that mostly Koreans are buying these versions because there are too few foreigners who shop there.

The NIV had the most of any Bible on display as I said earlier. But it still sells more than any other strictly English Bible.The NLTse is close behind -- not a distant second.I didn't ask how popular the TNIV was.

Among hybrid Bibles which are half in English and half in Korean the NIV Explanation Bible is far and away the most popular.Those Bibles in the Korean section are not on shelves -- just using table space. It had more copies on display than any other.The NLT has kind of an explanation translation like the NIV,but it doesn't sell well.

That's the latest from my neck-of-the-woods. Any more progress reports from your areas?