1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How do we define what is good and evil?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thanks. I guess so. Maybe you should go back too? :eek:

3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, but you missed the point as usual and I have no interest (see post #10) in having to put you in your place, not my job.

[​IMG]

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I got away from reading what I wanted to hear and not what was actually said...thats why I remain where I'm at ;)

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thought so:wavey::wavey: You could not stand with an open bible and speak to the issue.

like here;
    if you understand what he was saying...you would not make this post.

He states clearly as we all have that God is not the author of evil...yet it does not exist outside His absolute sovereign control;

you post this....
    God allows satan to afflict Job....did satan do good or evil. Was God in control or satan? from your posts we get no answer.

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Unbelievable. Just breathtaking.

PEACE, BROTHERS, PEACE!!

2 christians are literally sinking to the absolute lowests of the low.

Rock bottom.

Rock bottom..in any civilized society, is of course...(((physical violence)))

(The only thing lower is bringing GUNS into the equasion)

This is shamefull.

Guys..., c,mon. Fix this. Make things right. Behave like christian brothers.

#87 Alive in Christ, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
  8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Who said anything about physical violence? I would almost pay money to see Benjamin with an open bible,lol. He said he would humiliate me.....interesting . I thought he meant he would philosophize me to death.

#88 Iconoclast, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
  9. Alive in Christ

Sure sounded to me you guys were...

10. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Ch 21:1 And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

2Sa 24:1 And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.

Who was responsible for this action?
    Did David sin in doing so?

2Sa 24:10 And David's heart smote him after that he had numbered the people. And David said unto the LORD, I have sinned greatly in that I have done: and now, I beseech thee, O LORD, take away the iniquity of thy servant; for I have done very foolishly.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Noncalvinists see God very small indeed.

12. Alive in Christ

Ha! What a ridiculous idea THAT is. :confused::eek:

13. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AIC, I clarified my meaning of post #35 one post afterward (#37) that is was not meant as a physical threat:

Not sure why you disregarded that clarification and you included me in this drama.

Icon, also picked up on it "after" I clarified and also had told GL for a second time to "Get off "it" (meaning trying to insinuate that I meant it as a physical threat) and Icon not only said he wanted to meet me but acknowledged he would be disrespectful when doing so...to which I gave him the ":saint:" again which was my way of signifying I had no intention of getting into physical conflict which he seemed to be pursuing and told him he would be humiliated "if" he was to act that way in a face to face encounter. I later told him I had no desire to even meet him and let him have the last say on the matter.

Just so you know AIC, I do think it's cowardly to treat people differently here than they would to their face and pull those kinds of antics and I wasted no time clarifying my statement when I saw my original statment could be mis-understood. I can't help that Icon would pursue with a falsehood and with more antics and push a meeting in that regard.

14. Alive in Christ

Benjamine.. (and Iconoclast)

Well, it just came across to me as you guys were getting all riled up, and mad, and were contemplating fisticuffs.

If I misundersood, I stand corrected and I apologize for that.

15. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Thanks... And all the TRUTH of Scripture!

But, alas, some just cannot see it. Only way to attribute that is that the sovereign Lord has stopped their ears and closed their eyes.

Time to pray in earnest for some... :praying:

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1815610&postcount=65

Case closed. Like I said, your entire accusation was nothing more than a strawman.

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

By the KING of interlopers...

Whatever you say is always the accurate view. :wavey:

Especially when you jump into a thread because you smell blood and take up an argument that is not even your own. :wavey:

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

By the KING of Ad Hominers...

Whatever you say is always the intent of the person you are debating :wavey:

I "jumped in" due to the fact you deliberately twisted the view of another in order to stone them as a heretic, and I cannot stand by quietly while such lies, fallacies and slander take place. Don't like that? Tough...stop employing such shady debate tactics.

Care NOW to discuss what was "actually said", or is this when you fade into the woodwork after having been exposed as the fraud that you are?

Proverbs 26 New American Standard Bible

21 Like charcoal to hot embers and wood to fire,
    So is a contentious man to kindle strife.

22 The words of a whisperer are like dainty morsels,
    And they go down into the innermost parts of the body.

23 Like an earthen vessel overlaid with silver dross
    Are burning lips and a wicked heart.

24 He who hates disguises it with his lips,
    But he lays up deceit in his heart.

25 When he speaks graciously, do not believe him,
    For there are seven abominations in his heart.

26 Though his hatred covers itself with guile,
    His wickedness will be revealed before the assembly.

27 He who digs a pit will fall into it,
    And he who rolls a stone, it will come back on him.

28 A lying tongue hates those it crushes,
    And a flattering mouth works ruin.

#98 webdog, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012
  19. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I decide what is sin or not from scripture and the convicting (or lack thereof) of the Holy Spirit. I can't even THINK about sinning without the Holy Spirit convicting me. If I go ahead and commit the sin, then I am miserable until I confess that sin to the Lord and ask for cleansing.

20. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Guy, your first sentence is just plan incorrect and unorthodox even from the Calvinistic perspective.

The second sentence is absolutely correct and the fact that you think I don't agree only goes to show that either (1) you genuinely don't understand what I've argued or (2) you are purposely misrepresenting my view so as to attack me. I'll assume the former and try to keep this discussion out of the gutter. Okay?

"Your adversary, the devil...that introduces us to the enemy in spiritual warfare. A very personal designation, by the way, your adversary the devil. He's not only the adversary of God, he's not only the adversary of holy angels, but he is your adversary as well. Adversary, by the way, is a legal Greek word that means the legal opponent in a law suit in a technical sense. In a general sense it means any enemy. So you have an enemy and you better be alert. Even though you can trust God and entrust yourself to God, you need to be alert to the enemy in general." - John MacArthur

Do you believe MacArthur is a heretic too?

Paul teaches us, "Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

I think we both agree this 'power' is granted by God's permissive will, no one here has argued otherwise (that I've seen). But that doesn't mean God is controlling Satan's moves in the same determinative manner he is controlling His own moves (i.e. playing both sides of the chess board) as the 'deterministic' model certainly suggests. So, if you don't hold to the deterministic model then just say so and then I may press you to explain how your model differs from their claims.

The question posed in the OP was to call for a distinction in that which is good and that which is evil in a system where God is determining BOTH equally for the praise of his Glory. If you can't answer that question, fine, but there is no need to make false accusations and straw-man attacks. We can do better than that.

#100 Skandelon, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.