1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do we interpret God's word?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by stanleyg, Oct 16, 2006.

1. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

Jesus was born of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost opened intercession between Jesus and God the Father. Jesus could ask God in prayer for anything, including wisdom or understanding. God would answer His prayers.

Jesus' comprehension of the Bible was keenly superior to the Pharisees or Sadducees. They were reading the Bible literally, without asking God in prayer to explain its meaning. They could not proclaim eureka to the semantics (i.e. hidden manna) to be made known in Revelation.

If we, as Christians , are mature reborn through the baptism by fire and the Holy Ghost, then we become new creatures in Christ.

As such, we who are mature reborn, being lead by the Holy Spirit, will have a totally different interpretation (i.e. connotation vs. denotation) of God's word, than any unborn or newborn, who hasn't first prayed to God. The unborn or newborn will read the Bible verbatim to stir up confusion. The end result is strife.

As siblings of the body of Christ (i.e. church), we own a sacred and/or moral duty to God to correct our unborn or newborn baby siblings. God's house isn't a playground to fun around with as Hophni or Phinehas. God's mansions are kept peaceful and orderly as any church sanctuary.

If we as elders, shirk our duty to admonish our unborn or newborn babies, then we leave God with no option, but to seal our fate as was done with the priest Eli.
    Amen!

#1 stanleyg, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2006
  2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I will often provide links to further reading for words, people or concepts that may be unfamiliar to the average person on this board. But linking and bolding every other word makes posts difficult to read. Sort of like typing in all-caps.

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

How do we interpret God's Word?

The answer is we don't. God's Word is not left to our own personal interpretation. We have to allow the Holy Spirit to interpret it for us, and then teach us what it says and what it means. Anytime "man" enters the picture things are going to get messed up :)

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Interpretation of documents begins by reading them. Most people read a document fron to back. Christians read the Bible back to front. Why? They don't like the results they get from reading in the conventional direction.

5. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

6. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

"How do we interpret scripture?"

Interpretation of scripture is shaped by our philosophical assumptions, claiming to be taking scripture in its plain and simple meaning. But, those who start with different assumptions see an entirely different plain and simple meaning.

Like it or not we all interpret scripure based on tradition (small "t"). Every person who reads the Bible interprets the Bible, and every interpretation is based upon something. Lutherans use a Lutheran paradigm and inevitably interpret in large part according to the Lutheran tradition. Prebyterians interpret within the Presbyterian paradigm. Eastern Orthodox members interpret within the Easter Orthodox paradigm and so on.

History side note:
    Martin Luther himself did not allow for the uneducated laymen to read the Bible by means of Sola Scriptura. Luther was afraid of simply putting Scripture into the hands of those whom may distort and twist it. Therefore, when he translated his first Bible into German he included a sort of damage control device; marginal study notes. Luther placed study notes in the margins to prevent heresy and misinterpretation. While Luther most likely believed his interpretations were based soley on Scripture the question must arise, "how did Luther interpret Scripture?"

How I interpret scripture is within the Tradition (big "T") of the Church. Tradition provides the lenses through which biblical teaching is most fully recognized. If an idea or doctrine is novel (such as the Rapture and, as I would argue, Calvinism) it is very likely wrong. Novel interpretations 99.9% of the time are heresy. The big "T" Tradition helps us determine which beliefs have always been accepted and which have been rejected. Tradition is not without its limitations and problems, though.

Blessings

7. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

.......and that is what is wrong today. A zillion interpretations bouncing around in the brain, rather than spiritually looking to scripture. Relying upon confirmation from others, not unlike the "Jesus Seminar," toss out here, insert there, vote.... I say again,

1 Corinthians 2:1-16 is our foundation. ALL scripture is spiritually discerned. Everything else is babble. The blind leading the blind.

8. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Yeah and look what has happened when the church left orthodoxy and started “spritiually discerning” for themselves, thousands of different protestant denominations all claiming to have the “truth”. Let’s throw 2,000 years of church history out the window and develop a god that best fits (insert name here) worldview….

So who’s right and who’s wrong when two people come to two drastically different interpretations of scripture while both are claiming spiritual discernment?

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you clarify this? Do you believe in the Trinity? Because here it doesn't sound like it.

Do you mean the book Revelation? Because the Pharisees or Sadducees couldn't interpret Revelation since it had not been written yet.

Of course the Holy Spirit brings clarity to Scripture but it's also written in such a way that it's teachings are able to be understood by all who will read it seeking god's help and being willing to follow it. I don't think that the mature believer will have a 'totally different interpretation' than others, but we will have a more complete understanding of it instead.

What would our fate be?

Ann

10. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

My opening statement should have clarified to you my belief in the trinity of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Did you miss any?

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, to be completely honest with you, I've been dealing with some Jehovah's Witnesses and I've learned to ask directly - Who is Jesus? Who is the Holy Spirit? So, I'm just asking for clarification. :D Not trying to be nit-picky but just honestly wanted some clear thoughts on this. I hope you don't mind.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I would like to know what you mean by "Jesus was born of the Holy Ghost." Jesus wasn't born of anything, much less the Holy Ghost.

Jesus also did not need the Holy Ghost to talk to God, since Jesus and God are in constant communion as part of the Trinity.

But please explain that first sentence.