1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Do You Approach Street Kids?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Pastor_Don_Kirk, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Pastor_Don_Kirk

Pastor_Don_Kirk New Member

I am head pastor of a former regular church; that I've turned into a Street Ministry. While I can just walk-up to some kids and just start chit-chatting, I find that some get scared and leave. I try to talk a couple of minutes before getting to my purpose. Do any of you have suggestions as to how to not scare-off those who may not trust someone who just says Hi, How are you doing? I'd appreciate any help I can get on this matter. We are frequently the local TV stations Breaking News story; but, street kids don't watch TV news, to know who I am.

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Provide a safe place for them to go and hang out.

3. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

What's the approach like? Do you have stuff around them and for them which meet them on the same level as they are used to in their age range and culture? You had mentioned that you talk for a little bit then get to your purpose, so how does that work, and what is your purpose? These are things I'm simply curious on to know more about what you do. Thanks

karen

4. Pastor_Don_Kirk

My purpose is several fold. 1) to see that no child is homeless; living on the street. 2) to get as many kids back home; or into a safe invironment. 3) to try and get the kids into a Bible Preaching Church.

My initial contact varies. If the kid looks down (depressed), I try to start by saying that things can't be that bad. I try to get them to tell me what's ailing them. If they are a runaway, I probe why; and if feasable, have the kid call home. If the kid has other problems, I mention I'm a street minister; and just talk about the problem. Somewhere along the line, I mention Jesus; and go from there.

I've done this for 10 years now; and for some reason, about 10% of the kids seem afraid to talk to me. The ones that do talk to me, on many ocassions end up telling me, they wish I was their dad (I've legally adopted 4 of these; leaving their mothers name on the birth certificates; only changing the dads name).

I've gotten about 40 kids free Greyhound rides home (through police departments asking Greyhound for the ride).

I've also gotten about 75 or so, to get their parents to help them get home. My concern (besides bringing them to Christ), is to get these kids off the street; and to let them know, that there are caring people out there.

I'm concerned about how to get the other 10% to tslk to me.

5. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

ok cool...I'm glad to see how many results your seeing from your minstry...sounds like you have something really awesome taking place. my guess is if other kids are warming up to you then just give the others time and space, perhaps God is working on them and they need more time to come around and if you try to fast you may scare and push them away, just a thought is all.

karen

6. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

Trust me on this,

Go to http://www.raycomfort.com/home.shtml and get the disappearing hanky.

Iv done it, and several other illusions for kids, and it breaks the ice. If a kid starts to walk off, offer to show them how you did it. Nothing is %100 but most of the time it’s irresistible.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing is 100%. It's like catching fish; you're not gonna get a nibble every time you cast out the line.

Remember what it was like to be a kid yourself, and place yourself in their paradigm first.

If I'm a runaway, and some guy comes up to me out of the blue and starts talking to me, my first inclination is to probably think the guy's trying to pick me up (yes, I know that's a sick thought; keep yourself in their shoes for a minute). Second inclination is to think you'll probably turn me over to the cops, and I'll end up back where I came from.

With kids, trust is first and foremost. They need to see you're real.

8. Pastor_Don_Kirk

My ministry I wish I could say was mine; BUT, almost everyday, something happens, that i can only attribute to GOD haveing set it up (the new current situation). Things that look hopeless, FALL INTO PLACE; WITHOUT "ANY" EFFORT on my part. As a street minister I don't have a pulpit; but I do Press Conferences; and for one coming up, I need a podium. At a local auction, one was sitting there; and for $5.00, I now own it. This sort of thing keeps happening to me. I asked GOD to use me; but I forgot to be specific; and he is "USING" me!!!!!!!!! (Take a note, Make prayers specific). Thanks for the replies.