1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you Calvinists obey the Great Commission?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by John of Japan, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Rhet,
    Thankyou for your generous offer,however I must decline at this time maybe later.I am busy catching up with all of you scholars.Right now I am reading:
    The life and Times of The Messiah By Edershiem
    Calvin's Institutes of Christian Religion
    Jewish Social Life again by Edershiem
    Explore the Book by J. Sidlow Baxter
    as well as my other reading. Plus I'm still busy trying to teach myself Greek.My next plans are to read Josephus and Gibbon.It's HARD CATCHING UP TO YOU REALLY SMART GUYS.

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    4His_Glory &,

P O B &

J O J,

It seems to me that if a soveriegn God ordains the end, then the means should be "self evident." Like a sovereign grace evangelist friend of mine says; "God is able to start what he has finished!"

This may be one of the easiest questions for the Soteriological Calvinist to handle. Heb. 1:1-3 comprises the whole of the issue. All that we will get, or need in order for us to come to Christ Jesus we have do we not? We have life through his name and above this there is no other name under Heaven whereby we must be saved! AMEN!

It is the preaching of the Word that the Father uses to call all of those who would believe to himself. This is the only way. Now a qualification might be in order. I count "preaching" also as personal witness, preaching, printing tracts, passing out tracts, printing Bibles, translating Bibles, language translation, et al to be the "means of preaching."

That and only that are the means that God's blessed Holy Spirit uses to bring about the regeneration of those whom the Father has chosen and those whom the Son died to redeem! AMEN!!!

"Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God." How is faith to be germinated w/o the preached word (same Roman context).

I know that this explanation is a bit overtly simplistic but, the Arminian and Calvinist might agree on some level. Although, the content of what's preached might differ a great deal.

sdg!

rd

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the very kind offer, Rhet. My wife and I do order from Amazon quite a lot.

Like POB, though, I have a lot on my plate right now, several other ministry projects for which I need to do heavy reading and research. If I ever do decide to reexamine the 5 points, though, I will keep Dr. Nettles in mind.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks so much for the prayers! Hang in there on deputation. It is so great when you get to the field.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Rhet. However, this does not quite answer my question, which relates more to the extent of predestination necessary in the lives of Christians in order for God to irresistibly elect the lost. Probably the answer would be too much for this thread, with the likelihood of turning into a debate, so I'll withdraw the question. [​IMG]

God bless.

John

6. whatever

whatever New Member

Now that's just not fair. I won't debate, but I need to know whether this is what you are (or were) asking. The Abstract of Principles says this:
    Are you asking for justification for the idea that God decrees or permits "all things that come to pass"?

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that's just not fair. I won't debate, but I need to know whether this is what you are (or were) asking. The Abstract of Principles says this:
    Are you asking for justification for the idea that God decrees or permits "all things that come to pass"?
    </font>[/QUOTE]No, that is not exactly what I asked. My question was about irresistible grace and the logical need it presents for predestination in the lives of Christians as God's tools for evangelism.

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Well I am truly amazed.After all of these years I find out BWM runs a matchmaking service. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Right JoJ!Those guys at BWM really make sure you have all you will need for longterm missionary service before they send you out to the field.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You betcha! A full service mission board.