1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do YOU deal with it?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Well Said, I agree :thumbs:

Now, let me ask a question and I hope it doesn't get missinterpreted. I know that we are no longer slaves to sin because of Christ's redemptive work. I know as Christians we are free from the penalty of sin because of Christ's redemptive work. However, is it fair to say that since we still struggle with some of these issues that God uses them to keep us humble, keep us focused on him. Like HAmel said in an earlier post. It may be lust for some, greed, gossip, anger, pride for others.

2. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Good gameplan, might I add that Hollywood gives us unrealistic expectations. The enemy likes to use this against us to be unsatisfied/cause distraction from what God has blessed us with.

Good point :thumbs:

3. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Not fair to say that at all.

James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

4. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good and honest thread. It does have to be dealt with no matter what others think that others do. Big sins vs little sins. God's word says all sin is against Him.

One of the ways I deal with the temptation of TV, INTERNET and such, is that on each monitor, laptop and TV. I have put a small sign or reminder that states

"And behold I am with you ALWAYS, even to the end of the age." JC

Doesn't take up much room, it even starts the opportunity to talk about Jesus to guests in the home.

Not to mention how easy it is to change a channel when I realize that my Lord is watching what I am watching and He is going where ever I am going.

I praise God that He allowed me to make the choice which gave me no choice as to where I go or what I do or see that Jesus is with me. Just as everyone has been given that choice. You are making a choice even when you do not choose.

5. anie77

anie77 New Member

Isn't sin - sin regardless of the severity of it? Just sayin.

6. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amy G., can I pick on you a bit? You said,
    "You know what they say.....one can never have too many shoes, too many purses, or too much jewelry! I have tried to live up to that!"

That is so true of women. As if they are trying to catch an eye? Hey, not trying to pick on you but it is the nature of women to "always" look their best. Why is that I wonder? I'm just picking on you now. Don't get upset with me.

And yes, Thousand Hills, it is to keep us humble. If we don't recognize the error of our ways then we probably haven't come to the saving knowledge of Jesus to begin with.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You may pick on me anytime! I've been told you only pick on those you like, so I'm going to assume you like me! :tongue3:

You know, that's a good question because I don't think we do it for men, but for ourselves. I've always blamed Eve for my eye for pretty things. She saw the tree and probably though oooooooo how preeettttyy! I gotta have that! :laugh:

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm probably not a good woman to answer this question (I know I'm not Amy but I am a woman so I'll butt in - LOL). My husband says I'm the most non-hormonal woman he's ever met and it's actually based in fact. :D I'm not big on shoes (give me one or two pairs of comfy shoes) and I'm so not a jewelry person (I put these earrings in 5 years ago and have only taken them out twice for very special occasions - otherwise they are in 24/7) but I AM a bit of a purse freak. :) That said, I just purged through most of them and I've been using the same purse for the past 9 months which is some sort of a record. LOL

But honestly, I think women do try to look nice not only for themselves but as kind of a "competition". If I dress up and try to look nice, I'm trying to look nicer than the other ladies - not so much to catch a guy's eye. It's not really a conscious thought but in trying to analyze what's possibly going on in this brain, I really think that's it. But then again, I don't do it often at all. I'm a "put me in grubby sweatpants and an oversized t-shirt and I'm more than happy" kind of gal. :D

9. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very interesting comments from both of you Amy G., and annsni.

Yes, women are sometimes in competition with other women. My wife goes nuts over finger nail jobs, has a couple three pocketbooks and several pairs of shoes, and gets (what I refer to as) a "temporary" every three months. She calls it a "permanent" but if it was "permanent", you'd only need one. So, it's a "temporary" to me. :laugh: Yes, I'd have to say that finger nails is Janice's hobby.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Your wife is very normal. :laugh:

Honestly, I don't compete with other women. I could never win anyway and certainly couldn't afford it. But I do admire the way other women dress. I admire their taste, especially when everything is nicely coordinated. :smilewinkgrin:

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are making assumptions and excuses that you cannot support.

FAL, perhaps 50% of what I say is the result of assumptions on my part. As stated in my opening line, "I would like to explore a topic that never seems to come up in polite company".

"To say everyone is in this boat is wrong." is a given. There is an exceptions to every rule.

So let me ask you this. Which is the worst sin? Looking (twice) at a skimpy clad female in the grocery store or not telling the cashier she gave you a dollar too much back in change?

Well the knowing of keeping the money is sin, but the looking twice does not have to be. The looking depends on what caused the look. If it was to fill the eyes it is sin if not then it is not. Way too many times people put sin on others or themselves that is not sin.
    The church I attend does a lot of standing and setting in the song worship service. We are up and down a lot. This last Sunday I was behind two young ladies (I use the term ladies loosely) who had jeans on and they were both too tight and too low at the waist. When they would go to stand there was a clear view of butt cracks and I mean deep down not just at the top. Those behind them were clearly mooned! Not once not twice but several times. Everyone behind them saw the view. I at no time felt convicted for seeing. I was not seeking to see for gratification and honestly even though they were nice looking women I was not impressed with the seeing. In fact it was disgusting. I had no conviction at all. I did feel anger over their lack of modesty and I also felt sorrow over their ignorance.
    So if you are having a problem with the eyes do as the Lord said Pluck it out or learn not to look at whatever causes you to lust as it is a heart issue. If you had been in the service I discribed the answer for you might be to get up and move or leave completely to keep from sinning.

Even as believers we have to deal with that curse from the old nature that flares up from time to time. To me, Sin is like a gravity that pulls on all of us all the time and affects everyone.

What old nature? We died in Christ. We were given a new nature and there is no such thing as two natures living in one person. We are left with the flesh and we do have to battle that, but we do not have two natures. Also you are making excuses for your sin. Just deal with them as you have been given everything needed to do it as well God will not allow you to be temped above what you can deal with.

Personally, and let me say again, personally, I sin and fall on a daily basis. As stated, I am of the opinion that we all do. No assumption here as none of us are perfect.

Making it through one day without sin does not make someone perfect. It means they made it through a day. Just like making it one hour or two hours or ten hours. Your belief that everyone sins like you is very unfortunate for you. You have found an excuse for not stopping your sinful ways, And yes it is an assumption in fact it is more then an assumption it is sin itself to hold that everyone is like you because you are the standard as you are juding your brother without information based on your lifestyle. It is like the person who speeds saying well everyone does it. That is false. I do not speed and many others do not either. Claiming that you sin every day because everyone sins every day is an excuse and false and you need to stop making that assumption and stop sinning every day.

Being able to admit..., publicly, that I have my weaknesses is good therapy..., for me. No excuse here. I'm just human.

Another excuse. Being human is an excuse as we are more then just human after salvation. We are new creations, old things pass away and all things have become new and no temptation has taken you that is greater then you can deal with. The fact that you are willing to publically admit your sin is not a virtue. The lost do that. You need to stop what ever it is your doing to fuel the sin then you will honor the Lord.

In any church you can often find the "Have's" sitting on the right. The "Have Not's" sitting on the left. The self-righteous up front. The humble sitting somewhere in the middle and those infamous Back Seat Baptist who always sit in the last pews. You know where I coming from here?

I do know where you are coming from. More excuses. As long as another can put down someone who is walking with the Lord by calling them names (self righteous, holier then thou, or what ever) and accusing them for their godly walk they feel self justified in their sin. What you should be doing is seeking them out and asking them how they do it and applying what they tell you instead of accusing them of doing evil when they do good.

Wait a minute. Aren't we all the same in the Kingdom of God? Were we not all lost sinners at one time? Aren't we all still burdened with this constant onslaught of sin? Of course we are. Yes, there is a way out as provided in scripture.

While we all have to battle our sin and those temptations vary in each person, we all do not give up and give in to it every day. Some overcome. While I have never met anyone who never sins it is possible to bring sin to a minimum and stop the every day of your life sinning life and believe me it is a great blessing. As long as a person lives with a defeated attitude they will be defeated. It all depends on where our heart is. Is it for the Lord or our sin and the excuses we make to continue in it?

On occasion I look twice but if I'm given too much change back I'll immediately bring it to the attention of the cashier as she is the one who might end up getting fired. Each of us have our weaknesses. With many professing Christians they stumble over money, or gossip, or jealously, ego, self-importance..., none are exempt from sin.

Another excuse! First off looking twice does not make it sin. For some the first look is sin for another no amount of looking is sin. it depends on why you looked. I will admit in my case as I get older the boobs and the bottoms do not have the effect they once had, but I also have learned how to control what fed the past lusts. While each of us do have to battle different things we also do not have to give in to them. All sin is a choice. it is a matter of learning how to deal with what might tempt us.
    There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].
    I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service.
    [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Let me give you a word of encouragement. You can do it. First stop telling yourself it is impossible and everyone is like you are right now, sinning daily. You can make it through one day without sin. Yes it will be a battle where you have to change many things in your life which will bring persecution from other believers as you shed too mich light on their sinful hearts and lives and while you might fail many more days before you win over just one day, once you learn that it can be done the victory makes the second day in a row without sin look more possible and yes that battle will also have to be fought, but unless a battle is fought with expectation of winning the battle is alread lost. God bless

#31 freeatlast, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
  12. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well then, FAL, I suppose you're right. It's all one big excuse. However, until I die I'll just keep admitting my excuses and my wife will keep getting her nails done.

Actually, I don't need any specific encouragement per se. Apparently something was lost along the way in this thread but as originally stated, I wanted to explore a topic that is usually not discussed in polite company.

Preachers in Kentucky and Tennessee often don't preach against the drinking of whiskey as Moon Shine is a popular sport in that part of the country. Preachers in rural North Carolina never used to preach against the ills of tobacco as this was always tobacco country. Preachers hardly ever preach against gossipers as many in their congregations are guilty. Very few comments about greed or any of the other ills we as humans are faced with.

In my opinion, these types of discussions should come up repeatedly as we are all guilty and we don't hear much from the Preachers regarding same.

At one time all the "bad stuff" always seemed to happen in some distant place like New York City!!! Oh my, what an evil place that New York City was!!! Well, quite to the contrary, evil stuff happens right in our own back yards but we don't want to address it specifically. Way to many want to hear the nice and polite little sermonetts so as to be heading out the door come 12 noon.

Many years ago, FAL, I was in a church service where the pastor got up and asked if anyone would identify a major sin. All the hands went up and this one man said, "Smoking". All through the church you could hear the Amen's, and so he asked again. "Drinking" was the next sin identified and again the Amen's went through-out the church. On the third try the response was, "Drugs". Oh man, the Amen's were really loud with this one.

Now, the above three, drinking, smoking and drugs are the three biggest sins that most Baptist Churches take aim at. For some reason however, this pastor asked if someone could name another sin..., AND MY HAND WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT WENT UP. Well, he had to call on me so I said, "OVER EATING". No amen's over that one. No noise what-so-ever. You could hear a pin drop in that church. Is gluttony a sin?

All I'm raising in this thread FAL is that believers are often faced with situations normally not covered in a Sunday School Class and they don't otherwise feel comfortable discussing these issues over coffee at the donut shop. At my age, S-E-X is over rated. When I see these half nude women in public I feel sorry for 'em. I don't lust after them.

FAL, how many men and women do you think might have a problem, or concern, or worry about Masturbation? I'm not really trying to cause myself to be banned here or to cause any discomfort but this is an issue that is never spoken of, to my knowledge, within the Christian Community. How does our "youth" deal with it? From the wisdom of their peers during High School?

I'm really just trying to open door(s) here that are usually closed. If I have offended any of you I do apologize.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Let me address what you have stated. First keep in mind just because someone has the position of preacher they are not infallible. Many men inter the ministry without the courage to speak the whole truth. They will stand the judgment just like you and me.

As for smoking, drinking, they are not mentioned as sin in the bible. While it is true that some Pastors say they are the pastor is wrong to make that statement. Drunkenness is sin and using drugs is sin, but making a blanket statement about all mentioned as sin is adding to scripture. By the way i teach against smoking and drinking, because of testimony and possibly getting into sin, but i never tell someone it is sin just to take a drink or have a smoke as there is no scripture to back it up.

You also mentioned over eating and gluttony. First off where in the bible is the chart on eating to weight ratio of the person so we can know if we have over eaten? There is none. I mentioned before that many people add to the word of God and make claim that certain things are sinful when the bible never states such. As to Gluttony that certainly is sin, but you have to understand how the Hebrew word is being used when dealing with food. The rich would have great parties and bring in all sorts of fancy food. They would eat until gorged and then force themselves to throw up so as to eat more. That is gluttony with food. The word also meant someone who was riotous and full of rebellion. Their life was over filled with evil. A person can be skinny, normal size or very fat and be a glutton, and a person can be what another might feel as overweight and not be a glutton. It is not about body size. When speaking of food it is about over indulging in food then purging it and indulging more. So to accuse people who you or a preacher feel is over weight as being gluttons and in sin is wrong. There is no chart with body fat in the bible to measure this assumption and it is wrong to suggest that they are in sin.

As to your last question on self gratification I think it violates the board rules although it is a much needed teaching in the church. I would answer it but unless a mod says it is alright I will pass. If you want an answer you can PM me.

#33 freeatlast, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
  14. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it violates the board rules although it is a much needed teaching in the church.

How right you are! Some discussion of real importance are frowned upon even in polite company. I've read much on the topic and agree with the majority. My point is that if we are going to teach against drugs then why tip-toe through the tulips on all matters and their negative effect on Believers. The effects of sin can be very powerful on everyone. Especially the youth.

With this, I'm not going to spar with you anymore. If the topic gets banned then so be it.

15. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

freeatlast posted
    "Making it through one day without sin does not make someone perfect. It means they made it through a day. Just like making it one hour or two hours or ten hours. Your belief that everyone sins like you is very unfortunate for you. You have found an excuse for not stopping your sinful ways, And yes it is an assumption in fact it is more then an assumption it is sin itself to hold that everyone is like you because you are the standard as you are juding your brother without information based on your lifestyle. It is like the person who speeds saying well everyone does it. That is false. I do not speed and many others do not either. Claiming that you sin every day because everyone sins every day is an excuse and false and you need to stop making that assumption and stop sinning every day. "​

That is quite possibly the most self absorbed diatribe I've ever read in my life. Telling someone to stop sinning while your own arrogance is disgracefully sinful.

16. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is quite possibly the most self absorbed diatribe I've ever read in my life. Telling someone to stop sinning while your own arrogance is disgracefully sinful.

Thank you Tater. The comment made me think of the old story of an attorney representing a woman during a divorce hearing and not doing very well in the process, jumped up and asked the husband, "How long have you been beating your wife?"

(I don't know why - that's just what came to my mind at the time.)

17. okstateprincess11

okstateprincess11 New Member

I totally agree Tater! Like it says in the bible, "He who is without sin, cast the first stone" I'm sure the intentions were good but it came across like you have never sinned in your life. Man has sinned since the garden of eden and that is why Jesus died on the cross. Its going to happen. its not a matter of "if" but "when". Claiming that you sin because you are only human is not an excuse, its fact. the only perfect person that I have ever know was our Lord and Savior. We are all flawed and we all have sins we deal with and sins are not big and small. a sin is a sin is a sin. no matter what it is still a sin and we are still held accountable for repenting. I dont think that the message from freeatlast came across like it should. I think they were saying dont rely on that statement as to why you cant get over your sin and that is very true. I agree not to let that be a crutch but I dont agree with the way it came across.

18. Steadfast Fred

It appears to me that you contradicted yourself here, freeatlast.

First you said pastors are wrong to say drinking is a sin, then you said using drugs is sin.

Not sure if you realize it or not, but alcohol is a drug. cdc.gov lists it as "one of the most widely used drug substances in the world."

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No contradiction. If you look into the bible you will see that God actually permitted drinking alcohol even strong drink as long as it did not cause drunkeness as He does not condone drunkeness Deut 14:22_26.
    Again if you look into the bible it condemns the use of anything that makes drunk, or high 1Cor 6 and drugs are used for that purpose outside medical purposes. God seperates the two.

20. Steadfast Fred

I disagree, but this is not the thread to discuss alcohol.

And again you contradict yourself. First you say God permitted drinking alcohol, then you turn around and say God condemns anything that makes drunk.

Well, the last time I heard, (and read in the Bible too) alcohol does make people drunk.