1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Do You Deal with Telemarketers?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by InTheLight, Oct 8, 2012.

?
  1. Let the answering machine screen the call.

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. After determining who they are, immediately hang up.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Put them on their heels by asking THEM questions.

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Without hanging up, place phone down and walk away.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Listen to their sales pitch and then courteously say no.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. String them along, act interested, wasting their time, then say no.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you deal with telemarketers, poll takers, or other unsolicited telephone calls?

#1 InTheLight, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will check caller ID and just not answer the phone. If it seems like something that MIGHT be important (my brother is in Afghanistan and sometimes he comes in as weird numbers) and I pick it up, I will be polite but firm. I will tell them I am not interested, if applicable I will say that I'm on the Do Not Call registry and would like the name of the company, the phone number and the name of the caller to file a complaint. It's usually a "hang-up" at that point.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not get any.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After you've taken the survey please post stories of some of your calls.

I usually politely listen to the sales pitch, determine I'm not interested, tell them nicely and end with "I know what it's like to make cold calls. Good luck with your other calls."

But some business segments really irritate me. I like to turn the tables on the caller and start interrogating them. I get calls all the time at work, I'd say 10 times per month or more, asking if my company can accept payment via credit cards and then promising me that they can offer lower transaction fees. I've come to loathe these calls and as such, I bring an attitude...

Caller: "Hello, could I speak to the owner of the company?"

Me: "I'm the owner, you can speak to me. Who's calling?"

Caller: "This is Annoying Financial. Who am I speaking with?

Me (ignoring her question): "What's your name?"

Caller: "My name is Brandy. Who am I speaking with?

Me (ignoring her): "Brandy, where are you physically located? What city are you in?"

Brandy: "Phoenix. The reason---"

Me (interrupting): "Phoenix. I had a friend that lived in Phoenix in the 80's. I bet it's nice and warm there right now. What's the temperature?"

Brandy: "I don't know, but it's supposed to be 105 today."

Me: "Wow, 105! Do you like that heat?"

Brandy: "Sir, the reason why I'm calling is because we'd like to offer your company lower credit card transaction rates than you currently are paying."

Me (interrupting): "How do you know you can give me lower rates?"

Brandy (flustered, skipping ahead in her script): "Mark just happens to be in your neighborhood next week and he'll stop by, look at your last month's bill and propose a plan with lower rates."

Me: "Wait a minute. Don't send Mark out here. What's your rate on a mid-level transaction, card not present, for Mastercard?"

Brandy: "What?"

Me: "What's your rate on mid-level transaction, card not present, for Mastercard?"

Brandy: "I'm sorry, but I can't give those rates out on the phone."

Me: "Why? Are they secret rates?"

Brandy: "Mark could answer all your questions in person. How's Tuesday sound?"

Me: "I suppose if Mark takes a look at my current rates he could always come up with a lower rate. For 90 days. Then my rates would go up. What's the rate on an international sale, card not present, like over the internet?"

Me: "Can't, won't, or don't know them?" (sometimes the caller admits they don't know the rates.)

Etc. etc.

Eventually I tell them that I did all the research on credit card processing services and I made my choice last November (this is true) and I'm not interested in making another switch. Of course this never causes them to hang up. These people are tenacious!

Brandy: "I'm sure Mark will be able to come up with a plan that will beat your current rates. Should I pencil him in for Tuesday at 10:00 am?"

Me: "No, don't send Mark out here. Can you beat 2.10% on an internet transaction, card not present, customer not present?"

And so it goes. Turns out you have to say no to these people at least three times. If they still continue I will say, "Look. I've said no to you in three different ways. Now I'm going to hang up. Take me off you list. Good bye."

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the poll does not allow multiple answers, I didn't choose just one, because I deal with them in a variety of ways. I don't have caller ID, so just screening calls in that way is not an option. So when I do pick up and it's one of them, probably more often than not I hang up quickly, just not wanting to fool with them. Other times I may cut in on their intro speech to ask a question that's not really important. About 3-4 weeks ago I was quite ticked about something, though I don't remember what, and someone from an insurance agency called me and I just shouted in her ear (in fact, I seem to remember posting something about that one on this board).

But if I have a little time and I feel a bit mischievous (for me, I guess that didn't end completely before I was 30), I may listen to them go all the way through the main pitch, then say something like "It sounds like a good deal, but--uh, no." Then they will try to a little more persuading, and I may give a similar answer, and then they will probably say "Thank you for your time." Then it really starts to get fun and I will say, "Wellll, you know, it does seem like a really good offer I might be passing up" ... "Well, thanks again for your time" ... "Oh, thank you for this really, really good deal you called about"... I don't know what the record is for 'how many times' I managed to keep them on the line when they must have known I'm just playing with them.

An obvious fraud is more likely to get my angry type response. Not too many weeks ago I had just gotten to work when my cellphone rang and some guy started in with something about geting a free cruise. So I just told him, "Nobody give away free cruises, you *&%#@%^!" He confirmed what I thought of him by what he called me.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

I should get out of my chair and walk over to the phone just to hang up on a salesperson?

Why are most of them males???????

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So, I have been getting a call from "Your Health Plan" on my phone for the last week. I keep laughing about it. Turns out it really WAS from my health insurance company!! LOL - They called because I'm on a diabetic medication and so figured I have diabetes but I'm on it for a different reason - I make TOO much insulin. :) The nurse finally left a message tonight and so I answered once I realized it was a real phone call. LOL

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if it's true of telemarketers in general, but I think the majority of the calls I get are recordings, with of course a prompt to reply at the end. That way, they don't have to have to hire these people-- many of whom must be really in need of a job-- to take the abuse they surely get for disturbing people. My youngest brother once quit his job as an operator because he just couldn't take nasty reponses from people who don't know how to spell their requested party's name and expect him to be some expert in that way, or those with unlisted numbers they are not allowed to give out ["But I'm his sister-in-law, #%^$##, and he owes me four hundred dollars! No wonder it's unlisted! How *&%^ else...."].

At least one 'set' of unwanted calls have now lessened. I own what was my mom's house, having bought out the other heirs after she passed away 11 years ago, and that brother I mentioned lived there with his wife and kid for about 2 years. I was getting calls looking for him, even though the phone number is different from the time they lived here; so they obviously look it up by address and then get a number. Since I don't know what it's about, I just tell them "No one by that name lives here." Sometimes I have given my angry reponse with those words and they say they will put that down in their info files. Shurrr! It usually wasn't another week before I got another call. But now, as I said, those have finally lessened. If they thought sooner or later they get some info out of me, maybe they've finally succombed to the idea it won't work. But I'm under no delusion some other company won't start this again (it's been more than one before).

#8 Alcott, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
  9. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hate the telephone. If I am unlucky enough to be duped into answering it, I tell them to stuff it.

Drives Wifey nuts. :laugh:

10. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

The newspaper in a city near here keeps calling. I was a subscriber years ago so they get around the “do not call list”. I usually tell them “I’ve hung up on you guys before. Please put me on YOUR do not call list”.
    Hasn’t worked yet. They still call.

11. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is usually a woman with an Asian accent here.....before they get on their spiel....I ask if they are going to give me something, other wise state it is culturally offensive to invade my privacy when my family and I are eating or somesuch and then say goodbye.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It doesn't matter that you were a subscriber years ago. Tell them "Please put me on your do-not-call list. If you call again, I will report you disregarding the law." Once you tell them to not call you again and put you on their do-not-call list, by law, they cannot call you again.

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I do several of the above and couldnt mark all of what I do.

14. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have on occasion:

Let my 2-year old child talk to them
    pretended to be Pizza Hut
    pretended to be "slow" and not comprehend anything
    said "no" repeatedly
    told them to never call me again
    asked if they were the con artists who called last time
    *For the ones selling burial plots, I told them I wasn't going to die because I believed in the rapture. :laugh:

So far, the best thing in the world was to let my toddler talk to them and inform them she had learned to "go poo-poo in the potty." That one really works.

Also, a friend of ours has been known to witness to them. When they call, he asks them if they are saved and if they go to church. He's actually had some good conversations about it with them.