1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you define 'Repentance'...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Tractster, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Tractster

Tractster New Member

As it relates to salvation?

Is it a change of mind about Christ?

Change of mind about sin?

Change of attitude?

Turning from sin?

The resolve or decision to turn from sin?

Or something else?

Thanks.

Roscoe

2. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

I think it's a realization of and godly sorrow for the sin in ones life, and the heartfelt desire to turn from it.

3. Tractster

Tractster New Member

Thanks, RomOne16.

I was hoping someone would respond.

BTW, I absolutely love your name. [​IMG]

Rom. 1:16 was instrumental in bringing me to faith in eternal security.

Roscoe

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Repentence is to feel regret for your past conduct, to the point where you change your mind regarding it.

Some define repentence as no longer committing that sin. This is not repentence. This is contrition. Repentence is changing your mind about an action, but changing the action itself is different.

Just thought I'd toss that out.

5. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Repentance is not "Godly sorrow." The bible tells us Godly sorrow works repentance (2 Corinthians 7:10).

Repentance is a gift from God that causes us to turn from sin unto Christ as Lord and Savior (2 Timothy 2:25).

It is not something we do, it is something He gives.

6. David Mark

David Mark New Member

I think a person can receive repentance in many areas. My mind has been changed (even after I first believed in the Christ) in many areas, here are a just a few:

Money.
    Unchecked and wild ambition (in the world).
    Who is the supplier of my needs.
    What God thinks about and considers important.
    The critical importance of the new commandment.
    Blaming others for my failures and holding grudges.
    Being generally and consistently thankless.
    The power of my own tongue.

The list goes on and on. I've changed and I continue to change, I credit God for it. I am filled with thanks until it overflows.

Repentance = Life for me.

Dave.

7. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

Roscoe,

Here is my take on repentance,

In the case of the Gospel, I believe believing and repenting are synonymous. To most people the English word repent is always talking about asking forgiveness and turning from sin. In fact that is the way most dictionaries define it. But the Greek word "metanoeo", which is commonly translated in English as "repent", really means "a change of mind".

In order to believe, we must first change our minds or "repent" about who we are and where we stand with God. Really God grants us "repentance"(or changed minds). We must change our minds about ourselves in relation to God. We must change our thoughts that we are the center of the universe and must believe that God is the center and our reason for being.

We must acknowledge that we are sinners and have violated God's law (this brings about the "Godly sorrow" spoken of in 2 Corinthians 7:10). We must also change our minds about how we can atone for this, not by our works, but by the blood of Christ alone. We must change our minds about who Jesus of Nazareth was, that he was not simply a man or a prophet, but that he was God in the flesh. This is the "repentance" - or changed mind "that leads to salvation".

IFBReformer

8. Tractster

Tractster New Member

Thanks to all of you for shedding light on this topic.

Roscoe

9. texmedic

texmedic New Member

Repentance for me was when the Holy Spirit made me aware of my sin. He broke my heart. He gave me a new nature. I was so sorry for my sin. Not that I had been undone.......... but that my sin nailed my Savior to the cross. I cried when I thought of my sin nailing Him to the cross. It was at that point that I loved Him so much. I wanted Him to be my savior. He removed my heart of stone and gave me a heart of flesh. He gave me relief........ peace with the grace........ His sovereign grace.......... that I could never pay for. It was not my work or decision....... but His work in giving me a new nature. Thanks for the thread, grace and peace to you, Tex