1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you feel poltically

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Steve_S, Jun 11, 2009.

?
  1. I side with Republicans on most issues

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. I side with Democrats on most issues

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Religion and politics are completely separate

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. I am not political at all

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is a difference between the two. One is murder because it involves "innocent" life while the other is "punishment" because it involves "guilty" life.

You don't need to see the word "vote" in the word of God to know how to apply the deed to your life. God has given us instructions concerning what to partake in and what to reject or reprove. Everything we do as Christians should be measured to the high calling given in God's word.

Are you saying these things are "black and white" in God's word? Would that be fundamentalism?

These things you mention are very good things and are some "fundamentals" of God's word, however, if murder is mixed among them then the whole lump is unholy and the "good deeds" are exposed as being done for personal/political gain rather than a work for God.

:jesus:

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those that were put to death though not guilty, would they not be important as well? Of course they would and I wouldn't expect you to say otherwise. I know the number isn't huge anyway you count it but even one life, like abortion, is a tragedy. A tragedy that could and should be stopped.

I don't think you need me to point out the grey that exists in the arena of politics. But how about funding of the national parks system, do you think that really is an black and white issue, of course not. But that wasn't really what I was speaking about. I was more directing my comments to the idea that when Christians participate in a secular system in doing so we are going to make the best with the decisions those politicians make. I don't think it is the measure of one's Christianity to have to choose between two poor choices. You do the best you can in that arena knowing that the Lord is still in charge and one way or the other the Lord's will, will be done.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on what you mean by "Christian." If you mean one who is saved, then, no, it does not automatically mean conservative. It does not automatically mean moral, either.

But if you mean one who knows, believes in and obeys the doctrines of Christ, then, yes, he could not be other than conservative.

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't want you to pick out the grey in politics but rather the political issues that are found as grey in God's word.

We are not talking about "decisions politicians make". We are talking about voting for a person before they ever have the ability to make decisions based on what they profess to support and what the record, if any, shows they support.

Funding parks is a non-partisan issue. All politicians support the funding of parks. To what price tag might be debated, but parks have no significant sway at the polls neither do they transgress one way or the other any of God's Word.

Pick an issue that you feel is both partisan and also "grey" in God's word.

:jesus:

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about education, that seems to be a pretty hot topic. As an example I will use my own thoughts on the subject

I don't believe in a "federal" system for education funding and decisions. Just exactly what does the Department of Education do anyway beside spend money that I think could be spent better elsewhere? This should be a local decision. The ones who support this are usually Republicans. But wait, to support the Republicans is to support in most cases vouchers. I don't believe in vouchers, public money should be for public schools, so there you have to go toward the Democrats.

There isn't any Biblical mandate concerning a Department of Education or what to do with vouchers. Honest bible believing Christians can have different opinions on these issues. It is, to use an overused term, a grey area.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly and abortion is not.

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are correct. The issue is not a biblical issue so it would not disqualify a person regardless of their position. Christians can respectfully disagree.

Can you present a political issue that is grey in God's Word? How to fund education is not "grey" in God's word, it simply is not there!

:godisgood:

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm correct, but you want another example? Are you saying that education is not a political issue? Not anywhere I have lived. I guess I'm not understanding what you are asking. I don't and didn't claim that the Bible is grey. Voting is however can be grey at times.

Some Christians don't believe women should be in positions of leadership where they will be in charge of men. Some seeking office are divorced, there are Christians who will not vote for a divorced person. But when faced with having someone who is favor of say legalizing gambling they will vote for the woman or divorced person.

9. Steve_S

Steve_S Member

Yes, I know. It's far too sweping and simple. I was just curious as to what people thought. My own beliefs and attitudes have been way more conservative since I joined the church.