1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Do You Get Your Daily Servings Of Fruits and Vegetables?

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Benjamin, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I get several fruit servings about every other day through smoothies and will often drink a glass of juice on the other days.

As for vegetables, I don't get nearly enough. I eat an occasional salad, usually consisting of spinach and tomatoes, other than that I mange to drink drink some V-8 Fusion.

I've heard of people mixing vegetables and Greek yogurt in a blender and that sounds doable, but haven't found a recipe that sounds appetizing or figured what to dip in it.

2. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I adore smashed vegetables and roast veg

Boil up some tatties,pumpkin, and kumara

drain,smash em add a LITTLE butter and milk.....eat.....or when the greens are in season add some spinach (we are drowning in it here in Wanganui) leek or whatever. Yum, yum

Roast veg in oven, yum yum.

Fejoias are about to come into season here so it will be fejoia morning noon and night. I must admit fruit can be a bore (at least for me) but stewed is cool. I do miss tropical fruit and absolutely refuse to buy Philipino bananas when my homeland Queensland has a beautiful industry full of my relations......

The real secret for fruit and veg is if it is home grown or given to you by neighbours....it is tastier and it has been grown with love. Might sound dumb but it is true.

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

There are only four vegetables I eat, and I can't afford fruit. Also, fruit always spoils within three days of buying it. I go to the store only 3 or 4 times a month.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I read somewhere that canned fruit has just a many vitamins as fresh. Grapes also keep very well if refrigerated. Bananas keep well in the frig too if you peel them and put them in an airtight jar.

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Usually just through fruits and veggies!

Now that we have a deep freezer it occurred to me to buy fruits and veggies in season and freeze them in airtight bags.
    Grapes freeze great! We'll eat them frozen, they're delicious like that.
    Strawberries, blueberries, and other things like that don't need anything more that the grapes...a wash off in water and then sealed airtight and frozen.

Veggies usually need blanched or something first.

I'm still working on getting into canning.

I absolutely love raw veggies.

Fruits like peaches, apples, and pears...well, she's right. They're pretty terrible store-bought. Good for baking, but for eating? I miss having orchards around. I haven't sunk my teeth into a great juicy pear or crisp apple in years, and forget pomegranates! Out here a pomegranate is this tiny red, shriveled up thing that looks more like a mutated, well-aged Granny Smith. EW

6. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah tinned fruit is pretty good if you steer away from the stuffed in heavy syrup......love plums tinned but I have a perfectly beautiful plum tree in my backyard.

The sections or house blocks here in this rural town are so big I could run a couple of cows, or at least chickens, a goat etc

7. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I have never had grapes or bananas keep fresh more than 2-3 days in the fridge, or any other fruit for that matter. Canned fruit has way too much sugar added to it, and finding any that says "No sugar added" is about impossible--just as finding anything that says "No salt added' is very difficult. "Sugar-free' is nearly as rare as hen's teeth. I can find all kinds of things that say "Fat-free", but rarely find anything that is "sugar-free". No one thinks about diabetics who are very limited on how much sugar we can have.

I have heard that all fruit and vegetables have some sugar naturally in them, but it does not need to be added to make them more sweet, which is why I prefer fresh fruit. I just bought some fresh peaches that I plan on using in a recipe.

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Jon-Marc, have you checked out frozen fruit in plastic bags in the freezer section? I buy it on occasion from there and haven't had a problem finding frozen fruit with no sugar added.
    I used to use old apples to make applesauce...we put it on potato pancakes. Easy applesauce...just chop the apples, add enough water to boil, and mash with a fork or potato masher.
    Worked when the kids were babies and I only needed one or two apples, but can't make it that way anymore. LOL (it does NOT work in large quantities!)

9. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what I do. I buy large bags of frozen strawberries and blueberries and my usual is to throw a handful of each of those in the blender with a banana, oj, non-fat yogart and two scoops of protein power. I also buy bags of mixed fruit and berry blend on occasion. I get them at Sam's Club and have all four bags in the freezer now. Works great for a quick and cold smoothie!

Citrus freezes well to, ought to be plenty of those around the Florida area in a couple months. I know I grow more than I can eat and am glad to have some one come pick the trees.

#9 Benjamin, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2010
  10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How Do You Get Your Daily Servings Of Fruits and Vegetables?

By eating them. Inhaling the vapors doesn't do much for me.

11. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably better than putting them through the blender, then into a large syringe and shooting them directly into the vein.

12. Cressa

Cressa New Member

I usually have a side or two of fresh vegetables for dinner as well as lunch. I don't eat nearly enough fruit but I try to have an apple or pear or plum a day as a snack. I love grilling and stir-frying vegetables for dinner. I also have a garden that I grow a lot of good vegetables.