1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you handle anonymous letter in your church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by piaairline, Apr 29, 2006.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

What would be the purpose of an anonymous letter if it weren't a complaint of some sort.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Hey, if you're single and in ministry...maybe you're hoping for a "secret admirer."

Anyhoo, back to the discussion...

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Child on drugs don't want "anyone" to know but would like prayer. Husband stepping out on you but wouldn't want anyone to know including the Pastor but would like the church to pray, just a couple but I could list hundreds.
    I must ask, why would you find a fault in first reading the letter and then making a decision for I am sure the Pastor would be able to do that. Why just toss it and someone may be in desperate need and with a word or two from the Pastor to the congregation might cause that person to pour out their heart to him. Please, I would like to know.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

But if someone really wanted help; why wouldn't they just go to the pastor where they could really GET help?

My pastor is very compassionate and is available 24/7. Of course, "I" have the best pastor in the world! [​IMG]

I should have said my pastor 'disregards' anonymous letters and doesn't place credence in them. He DOES read them...

In my opinion, no one puts 'good' or 'positive' things in an anonymous letter.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am Blessed 16;
    Pastoring a Church is like walking on eggs. Every member has their own pet peeves and you have to try to make all feel a part of the church and as important as the other one and it becomes very hard at times. You are able to speak out but everyone does not have that gift. Some people are so backward that laying on their death bed they still find it hard to talk so you have to help them get started talking and they will eventually loosen up if its just you and them but if others are present some will never say a word. People are different. The good Lord made us that way so we abide in the calling wherein we are called and try to help those that are not like you or I and will speak up. You are wrong about what people put in a anonymous letter for you have to understand all people don't feel that way. [​IMG]

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

So there are many good reasons for a person to use one, you just would never use one? Hmmm.

Really? I guess your behavior on the board makes me wonder about this statement, but I will take your word for it.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

She paid the price so give her a chance please. [​IMG]

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The "A" letter I got---had absolutely nothing good nor positive within its borders--but was filled with hate and vile empty thoughts that did NOTHING to advance the Kingdom of God and did nothing but to sow discord among the brethren!

9. I Am Blessed 24

Blackbird, I bet all the 'good' letters, full of praise and accolades, were signed though! [​IMG]

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Amen, Sister Sue!! Amen!!

"A" letters come from people whos minds are usually "numb"

You can tell which letters are written with minds full of the Lord Jesus and the ones which are written with minds that are empty!!

Yes, indeed--Sister!!

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

ok, you can tell all of that by just looking at the outside of the envelope. I am not that gifted, but glad to see there are some around.

12. Karen

Karen Active Member

I have never sent an anonymous letter. Don't plan to.
    But, I Am Blessed, keep in mind that not all pastors are available 24/7 like yours and mine are.
    And there are all kinds of reasons for that, including the pastor being bivocational.

You have made lots of good points, Brother Bob.

Karen

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thank Karen;
    I was beginning to think I was stepping on some toes and that was not my purpose at all. God Bless,

BBob

14. Gib

Gib Active Member

Blackbirds unfriendly "A" letters come with paw prints on the back of the envelop.

15. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

[​IMG]

16. I Am Blessed 24

Brother Bob: Of course you can't tell that by the envelope. You have to open the letter or you wouldn't know if it was anonymous. And I agree, you brought up a lot of good points.

To clarify, "I" have never seen an anonymous letter that was not critical or full of gossip.

Karen: I understand about not all pastors beind available 24/7. My son pastors a church in Kansas and he has to work part-time to supplement his income, but he has his cell phone on all the time and all his parishioners know they can call and talk to him anytime - even if he can't leave work and talk to them face to face right that moment.

Blessings,
    §ue

17. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

PastorSBC1303 caring response
    No my answer was in response to you accusing me of writing one and I said NO i never have. not that i never would.

my behavior is no different or worse than anyone who is debating on this board.at least i use scripture to back up my beliefs.

18. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Unless you are a pastors wife why would you see any letters for the pastor? i didn't know they were so abundant. i have never seen one

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thank you; all

20. I Am Blessed 24

Frenchy, please don't try to pick a fight with me where none exists. Attack the issue - not the poster.

I am merely stating my opinion, as I clarified in two of my posts.

Pastors are not the only people who receive anonymous letters (and church secretaries are often privvy to the pastor's church mail).

Many businesses (and professional people) receive anonymous letters all the time. It goes with the territory.