1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Do You Know It's Dynamic Equivalence 2

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

John, a great effort at proving the TNIV employs the DE method.

What you failed to mention is that every translation that seeks to be readable, including the revered KJV, employs the DE, at varying degrees.

When you charge the TNIV with "an unnecessary paraphrase adding an extra word designed to produce a “natural equivalent” and a “clear meaning” which probably didn’t exist in the minds of the Divine and human authors," you are even turning on the KJV and every translation that claims to be word-for-word.

By the way, when did God say that word-for-word is his divinely ordained way of translating the text of Scripture.

John, you're involved in translation and you know that word-for-word is virtually impossible to make sense.

There is no true word-for-word translation that makes sense.

The word-for-word concept is misleading at best.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

If you know anything about translation, every translation involves some level of interpretation, translators' biases.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

John, tell me which version of the Bible that was not done with some DE method.

Your sampling of Matthew 8 in the TNIV with the DE method in mind doesn't prove that the TNIV is a DE translation.

It only proves that the TNIV, like every other version, including the KJV, has employed the DE method.

DE is unavoidable in moving from one language to another.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm with you on that.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm just trying to educate people as to what DE actually is. Be honest: had you heard of the terms "natural equivalent" or "reader response"?

And if you are comfortable with "take their places" instead of just "sit," that's no skin off my nose. You need to be clear in your own mind. All I'm trying to do is educate people. You did not define DE for me or give criteria for determining whether a version is DE or not. I hope you understand at least some now.
    My method was partly developed by studying how the NT translates the OT and how the NT translates phrases and words within itself: "Eli, Eli, lama sabacthani," etc.

My method is also strongly influenced by verbal plenary inspiration. If every word is inspired, why not be careful with every single word of the translation? By this statement I am not accusing you or anyone else who prefers DE of not believing in verbal plenary inspiration. I've never said that and have never believed it or even thought it, [snipped]
    I'll reserve judgement on these statements until you define "word-for-word" for me. The term has been used for many different ideas ever since the ancient Greeks invented it and Jerome discussed it centuries later. So, what do you mean by word-for-word translation?

#26 John of Japan, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
  7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [snipped] Have you read any books on translation theory? Have you read a single book by Nida?

Give me your definition of DE if mine is wrong. Then, if my criterion is wrong, give me your criteria for telling if a translation is DE or not. Work with me here. [snipped]I know you have an M. Div.

#27 John of Japan, Feb 13, 2009
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are two points in my analysis that can be extended to the whole TNIV. I mentioned the near complete refusal to translate the conjunctions at the beginning of each Greek sentence. A spot check of various passages shows that this omission is very common throughout the NT. Therefore this DE rendering (or lack of it) is a characteristic of the TNIV NT.

The second point is the famous TNIV tendency towards gender-equal phraseology. This is certainly a DE tendency based on the reader response principle. That is, the translator wishes the reader to comprehend the document just as the original readers did. In this case, I believe the DE translator would think a 21st century reader would be sidetracked by the “gender discrimination” in the Bible, and so would tone down perceived male dominance in order to better communicate.

My point here is this. Literal translation methods do their best to present the document in the target language with the original forms, including such perceived “gender discrimination.” Gender neutral language therefore, when not warranted by the text (as in the case of Matt. 8:12 in the TNIV), is dynamic equivalence. The logical conclusion is that TNIV advocates must admit for the sake of honesty that gender neutral language is not in the original, but is supplied by the translators.

If TNIV advocates are comfortable with dynamic equivalence, so be it. But they should at least admit they are DE advocates in this case, that of gender neutral language. They should stand in front of a mirror, look at themselves and say, “I am in favor of DE.” Either way, it is no skin off my nose. I’m simply pointing out the obvious. I don’t plan to argue the point on this thread. It’s been argued too many other places, and I don’t want the headache.

Today Uncle Miya and I were correcting my base translation of 1 Tim. 2 & 3. Uncle Miya kept saying things like, “American women wouldn’t like that,” and “Japanese women would reject the Bible if they saw this!” You see, what the “Biblical feminists” perceive as gender discrimination in the Bible can’t be excised so easily. But the truth of the matter is, American feminist women just don’t get it. The Gospel and the Bible liberate women to be their best. This has been proven time after time on the mission field when men find Christ: in Muslim countries where women are beaten down, in Japan where women were kept ignorant and oppressed, in 19th century China where “foot-binding” kept women weak, etc. And gender neutral language didn’t do that, truth did!

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

And how do you account for those times of obvious departures and quotes from the LXX?

Does the TNIV go against this? Does any translation adhere perfectly to your standard?

Here's a borrowed definition: "According to this theory, the translator attempts to render each word of the original language into the receptor language and seeks to preserve the original word order and sentence structure as much as possible."

The NAS is a good attempt at the "word-for-word" approach. I hope that satisfies your inquiry.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

John, I chose not to offer a definition, unless I was convinced that people were seeking truth on the matter.

Why offer a definition when certain conclusions were already agreed upon by some who were commenting here?

PeterM was made to retract his original position on the TNIV (a reminder).

Here's a borrowed definition: "The goal of this theory is to produce in the receptor language the closest natural equivalent of the message expressed by te original-language text--both in meaning and in style.... It can also be called a thought-for-thought."

I hope this helps your inquiry.

The TNIV is not a DE translation, though it employed the method.

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the TNIV website:

"I will use the TNIV in my teaching and writing because it more accurately reflects the original texts in dynamic equivalence." ---Alice Mathews, Ph.D., Lois W. Bennet Distinguished Associate Professor of Educational Ministries and Women's Ministries, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, South Hamilton

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have said before,even some fans of the TNIV call it a dynamic translation.The expertise of Mathews does not lie within the field of biblical translation.

Rodney Decker however is a bit more accomplished.In his paper on "Inspiration And Translation" he speaks of the NIV,NET Bible and HCSB as being balanced translations.He goes on to say that "certainly none of them deserve to be 'tarred' as functional equivalence or classified with legitimate examples of such (e.g.GNB,CEV,Phillips).

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [snipped]

"Fundamentalists have had a presupposition of verbal-plenary inspiration.This should carry over into our choice of Bible translations,leading us to reject versions translated with the dynamic equivalence method such as TEV (Good News Bible),NIV,TNIV,etc."

[snipped]

[snipped]

[snipped] by Leland Ryken.Quoting from his "The Word Of God In English"(pages 134,135)

"It is my belief that an essentially literal translation is congruent with the doctrine of verbal or plenary inspiration. Contrawise,the preoccupation with dynamic equivalent Bibles is with the thoughts of Scripture,with no priority assigned to the words.I come to the unwelcome conclusion that many evangelicals who theoretically espouse the doctrine of verbal or plenary inspiration who reject the position of theological liberalism that the Bible primarily contains the words of God -- are betrayed by their very choice of a dynamic equivalent translation into the position they reject...I can imagine dynamic equivalent translators saying that they accept the doctrine of verbal and plenary inspiration.In that case,my reply is that my understanding of verbal inspiration is different from theirs,that I believe their translation practice to be incongruent with their view of inspiration,and that I do not see a twentieth century liberal and neoorthodox position that gave rise to a renewed evangelical emphasis on plenary inspiration."

[snipped]

#33 Rippon, Feb 13, 2009
  14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [personal comment snipped]

#34 Rippon, Feb 13, 2009
  15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#35 Rippon, Feb 13, 2009
  16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been looking at the NET Bible with its notes on Matthew 8.Eleven times it states that their translation did not translate particular Greek words because they were redundant in contemporary English.How often do professed 'literal' or 'formal' translations do this?

What follows are are some notes from NET Notes on this chapter.In JoJ's preferred way of translating this chapter in a non-dynamic way he failed to mention some of these things.That's why I am under the impression that what is considered formal to one person -- even one skilled in the original languages, may be different from another of the same background.Just how literal does a translator need to be?

V. 8 : Greek : But answering the centurian replied

V. 9 : Greek : having soldiers under me
    [TNIV : with soldiers under me.]

V. 10 Grk : Truly,I say to you
    [TNIV :truly I tell you]

V. 11 Grk : and Isaac and Jacob

V. 14 Grk : And

V. 14 Grk : having been thrown down

V. 17 Grk : was fulfilled,saying

V. 20 Grk : the birds of the sky [or] the birds of the heaven

V. 26 Grk : and

V. 27 Grk : the men were amazed saying

V. 29 Grk : and behold,they cried out,saying

V. 29 Grk : What to us and to you?

V. 32 : Grk : And he said to them

Again,how literal does a translator have to be when translating non-dynamically?

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [deleted personal comment snipped]

#37 John of Japan, Feb 14, 2009
  18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Man, C4K's scissors have been busy this morning!:laugh:

I should be :sleep: but I had to get up at 3 a.m. to open the gym for some folks that are cooking for a fundraiser this morning.

19. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, but people are supposed to get hot at a gym ...and heavy after cookin'.

I'm enjoying the interaction

Perhaps the role of dynamic equivalence in the TNIV version of Matthew 8 can be illustrated by comparing it to the New Living Translation, which undeniably embraces the translational technique.
    I've added the NASB95 characteristicly more word-for-word, formal equivalence.

Verse 5
    NLT a Roman officer came and pleaded with him,”
    TNIV a centurion came to him, asking for help.”
    NASB95 "a centurion came to Him, imploring Him,"

Verse 6
    NLT “Lord, my young servant lies in bed, paralyzed”
    TNIV “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed,
    NASB95 Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home,

Verse 8
    NLT But the officer said, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come into my home.
    TNIV The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof.
    NASB95 But the centurion said, “Lord, I am not worthy for You to come under my roof,

Verse 11
    NLT “And I tell you this, that many Gentiles will come from all over the world—from east and west—…”
    TNIV “I say to you that many will come from the east and the west,…”
    NASB95 “I say to you that many will come from east and west,

Verse 15
    NLT Peter’s mother-in-law was sick in bed with a high fever.
    TNIV Peter’s mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever.
    NASB95 He saw his mother-in-law lying sick in bed with a fever.
    (also compare)
    AV 1873 he saw his wife’s mother laid, and sick of a fever.

NLT Then she got up and prepared a meal for him.
    TNIV and she got up and began to wait on him.
    NASB95 and she got up and waited on Him.

Rob

#39 Deacon, Feb 14, 2009
  20. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I well aware of that. And that is one reason I feel that a translation should only resort to DE when necessary, but otherwise lean to the side of formal equivalency. I do not see this with the NIV and TNIV. The translators appear to favor DE more than translators of other versions.

This is my personal preference. If you wish to use the TNIV have at it, but as for we I would rather have a translation that uses less DE.

That said, I think that just about any translation is going to have some use of DE. My point of contention is that it should be used very little.

#40 4His_glory, Feb 14, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.