1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you know its Mary?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by music4Him, Apr 25, 2005.

1. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Heres my question after seeing the all the people flocking to see "Mary(?) under the Chicago bridge it makes me think..... how do they accually know if the water stain looks like Mary? Was there ever a authinic and legible painting of her back in her time? Just wondering how when people look at a picture and say, "oh thats a picture of Mary and Jesus when he was a baby". How do they know for sure? :confused:

2. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Just what I thought no one knows what she looks like.

3. mioque

mioque New Member

4. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Do the dates line up?

BTW, just another thought....the lady in the picture looks nothing like the woman on the grilled cheese and the water stain lady looks nothing like the grilled cheese lady? Surly in the tech world we live in today you'd think people would compare pictures and put two and two together. :rolleyes:

5. FLMike

FLMike Guest

Of course the corollory is, if one sees an image of Jesus, even Jesus on the cross, how does one know it's Jesus? It could be any criminal being crucified (they did that a lot, you know).

If I showed 1000 Christians e.g. this image

http://www.ldskorea.net/chol2/Jesus-Children-057.jpg

would even a single one of them say "How do we know that looks like Jesus? What did Jesus look like?"

6. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Thank you FLMike [​IMG]
    --------------------------------------------------
    would even a single one of them say "How do we know that looks like Jesus? What did Jesus look like?"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Thats what stumps me....
    On another thread here it was being discussed about Catholic people bowing down to statues/idols. They saying theres nothing wrong with it. But I noticed in the debate the real question should be how do you know that the statue/idol is in fact who they think it is? :confused:

7. Nevertheless

Nevertheless New Member

If I were among that 1,000 then, yes, at least one would. Looking at that picture I understand that the artist is portraying Jesus, but it doesn't look like Jesus to me. It looks like a picture of a white guy acting the part of Jesus in a play.

8. mioque

mioque New Member

"Do the dates line up?"
    "
    Ofcourse not. It's a legend.

9. Michael52

Michael52 Member

Christians should know exactly what Jesus looks like without a picture. Read the Bible.

Now as for Mary the mother of Jesus...???

10. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Music4Him said:

Heres my question after seeing the all the people flocking to see "Mary(?) under the Chicago bridge it makes me think..... how do they accually know if the water stain looks like Mary? Was there ever a authinic and legible painting of her back in her time? Just wondering how when people look at a picture and say, "oh thats a picture of Mary and Jesus when he was a baby". How do they know for sure?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, not to worry, she's not under the bridge anymore!!

Some guy went there during the nite and took shoe polish and wrote "BIG LIE" across it and then the highway dept. went in and painted over "her".

So, ALL GONE!! :D

Tam

11. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Well thats good that he knew the truth and acted upon it. [​IMG] Now if he don't get prosecuted for........defacing a water stain? :eek:

12. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

I just saw the news again and the man has been arrested!!

Tam

13. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Let me guess defacing public property? Now he will be charged $$$$ for the paint and men hours to paint over the stain.....that before when they had to hire workers to do traffic control (wonder how much that cost the city)? Not to mention all the litter, candels, pictures, flowers but was one of those people arrested for loitering and littering? No. :rolleyes:

14. One View

One View New Member

Michael52 has the best point! Our desire to for a grapical depliction of Jesus or Mary shows are weak we are in the Faith.

15. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I have it on good authority that that stain is actually Mickey Mantle.

16. chadman

chadman New Member

You know...I am Baptist myself, but that is so wrong of this person to go to a public place, that people have been admiring and respecting and deface something he knows in his heart people are enjoying. I know, I know, he did it in the name of God and truth. How many people over the centuries have been killed in the name of God? The fact is, he destroyed something others were wanting to see.

I am so GLAD they arrested this guy. He really deserved it.

And if you don't thing so, then how many of you would think it ok for Muslims to come into your Church lots, and deface your buildings and worship areas, knowing it is causing you guys to go down the wrong path? They of course would do it in the name of God, to help you guys.

17. music4Him

music4Him New Member

This was in a tunnel where its a mirical no one go ran over for starters. Also the tax payers were paying the bill for added men to do traffic control, clean up, and I wouldn't be surprized if port-a-potties wern't brough in.
    Now in church I ain't blocking traffic, running a risk of running people over, or people running me over (not unless its football season the men will run you over to see kick off! [​IMG] ) I tithe in church, but its not like its a charge for the whole city. I dunno I guess if the Muslums want to they can come and torch my church ...its just a building of wood and brick. It still won't stop me from having church (besides we'll just have another church building fundraiser)...in fact maybe a muslim will walk by while the congragation is sitting in the parking lot and the preacher is preaching his heart out and hear the truth?

I can agree that the young mans tactics could have been better, but when I think of the whole situation. He could have saved alot of lives and tax $$$$$ (for diabled and little old people living on a fixed income to name a few).

18. chadman

chadman New Member

Music4Him,

Always a mistake to justify divisive acts of destruction based on moral imperitive. The guy lives in a free society, and he broke the laws defacing a known public inteterest in a landmark, no matter how it was created or where it was.

You said
    I am not saying they could have been better at all. I am saying his tactics were flat out wrong, evil, and sinful. Could have would have, does not justify moral ineptitude.

I live in a metropolitan area. Everytime they decide to rebuild a major highway overpass systems here, you can measure the cost of the project almost always in lost lives due to people having accidents based on the new configuration. Hurst TX, rebuilt it's major intersetion over like 5 yrs, and there were over 30 fatalities because of that project. Would it have been ok for someone to blow the bridges with bombs knowing hey could have saved lives?

This smacks of the typical USA Evangelical midset we have against Catholics. If it was a strike against Catholics, then it is hard for us not to, in our deepest parts, smile a little for the tiny victory.

19. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

And so it would have been better for all those people to go ahead and worship that water stain thinking it was Mary, and a sign from God?

Maybe he could have done it a little different, but at least it got rid of the false thing! I believe what the bible says about such things:

Proverbs 27-5 Open rebuke is better than secret love.
    6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

Better to tell it like it is and get it over with!!!

Selah,

Tam

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

2Ki 23:4
    ¶ And the king commanded Hilkiah the high priest, and the priests of the second order, and the keepers of the door, to bring forth out of the temple of the LORD all the vessels that were made for Baal, and for the grove, and for all the host of heaven: and he burned them without Jerusalem in the fields of Kidron, and carried the ashes of them unto Bethel.
    2Ki 23:5
    And he put down the idolatrous priests, whom the kings of Judah had ordained to burn incense in the high places in the cities of Judah, and in the places round about Jerusalem; them also that burned incense unto Baal, to the sun, and to the moon, and to the planets, and to all the host of heaven.
    2Ki 23:6
    And he brought out the grove from the house of the LORD, without Jerusalem, unto the brook Kidron, and burned it at the brook Kidron, and stamped it small to powder, and cast the powder thereof upon the graves of the children of the people.
    2Ki 23:7
    And he brake down the houses of the sodomites, that were by the house of the LORD, where the women wove hangings for the grove.
    2Ki 23:8
    And he brought all the priests out of the cities of Judah, and defiled the high places where the priests had burned incense, from Geba to Beersheba, and brake down the high places of the gates that were in the entering in of the gate of Joshua the governor of the city, which were on a man's left hand at the gate of the city.
    2Ki 23:9
    Nevertheless the priests of the high places came not up to the altar of the LORD in Jerusalem, but they did eat of the unleavened bread among their brethren.
    2Ki 23:10
    And he defiled Topheth, which is in the valley of the children of Hinnom, that no man might make his son or his daughter to pass through the fire to Molech.

2Ki 23:12
    And the altars that were on the top of the upper chamber of Ahaz, which the kings of Judah had made, and the altars which Manasseh had made in the two courts of the house of the LORD, did the king beat down, and brake them down from thence, and cast the dust of them into the brook Kidron.
    2Ki 23:13
    And the high places that were before Jerusalem, which were on the right hand of the mount of corruption, which Solomon the king of Israel had builded for Ashtoreth the abomination of the Zidonians, and for Chemosh the abomination of the Moabites, and for Milcom the abomination of the children of Ammon, did the king defile.
    2Ki 23:14
    And he brake in pieces the images, and cut down the groves, and filled their places with the bones of men.