1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you know that God exists?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rednaut, Jan 12, 2012.

1. rednaut

rednaut New Member

I have a question for everyone. Simply put, how do you know that God exists?

When I think about it, I realize that I could have been born into a part of the world where the dominant religion is not Christianity. Had that happened, I could have easily believed in a God from a different religion. That idea alone is probably enough to cause anyone to ask themselves why they believe what they believe.

Obviously there is no definitive proof that God exists, and many fall back onto some of the Bible's passages on faith as a way to explain why they believe in something that we can't prove even exists; but for me that opens up a whole host of problems. If you're believing solely upon faith, then you could just as easily believe in anything. Believing in something without any reason or justification is just pure stupidity. I can choose to believe that the Earth is on the back of a turtle, but that doesn't make it right (and besides, we've already proven without doubt that the world is indeed not on the back of a turtle).

As I've gotten older, I've started to think that maybe religions (Christianity included) are all about selling answers as opposed to encouraging people to ask questions and be naturally curious (i.e. don't bother thinking too much about existence. Here, take this book. ALL of the answers you'll ever need are right there, in those very pages). When you really think about it, contemplating issues of existence can be a scary thing. For example, how do you know that you're not living in a dream and that I am a part of your mind attempting to share some message with you? What if you're in a sort of coma right now? How would you know? Could you even know? What we're all part of an artificial intelligence simulation that had been developed some time ago by a far more advanced civilization? Could you prove that otherwise? What if there's just no God and we exist here because this planet, in this galaxy, in this universe, is able to support the type of life that exists here, right now?

But instead of thinking about those issues, turning to what we know about the universe to find some explanation, or advancing our knowledge into these matters by pursuing research in physics, mathematics, cosmology, etc., many people flock to religion (this, in my opinion, is also a matter of social norms, family ties to particular denominations, the habits of social circles, etc). Religion takes away the uncertainty in the world, and instead gives its followers all the answers they'll need. Don't understand how God could condemn to hell a person who's never heard of him or a person who has heard of him but doesn't believe and lives a good life anyway? Simple. It's God's will. Don't see how that is "justice"? Doesn't matter. God's logic is far higher than yours and you aren't meant to understand it.

It also amazes me that people who experience near death experiences and claim to have seen a "light" or ascended to heaven report the exact same things as people who claim to have "died" during a hallucinogenic trip or meditation--some of which are induced by the releasing of chemicals that occur naturally in our bodies. That seems to suggest that maybe those near death experiences aren't exactly evidence of any supernatural being--this God, or even another one.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I'm curious as to why you believe in God. What compelling reason has convinced you that what you read in the Bible is absolute truth, the word of God, and that Christianity is somehow right while all of the other religions are wrong?

And if you want to contribute to this discussion, please don't say "I believe because the Bible is the truth" or anything like that. I understand that people believe the Bible is the word of God; I'm looking for the reasons behind that belief.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

Too long and didn't read: I want to know why you believe in Christianity's version of God.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I became firmly convinced there was a God as a 7th grader (in public school) when the science teacher spent a semester going over the design of a simple cell.
    It filled me with wonder and an amazement at it's complexity and for me, it could only be explained one way.
    It was only much later as a freshman in high school that the I heard the gospel of salvation from sin and met my Savior.

For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
    Romans 1:20 (ESV)

Rob

3. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Beyond what you said about the bible as truth, I had to find some real proof, not just a series of statements. It started when He showed me examples in my life that related to scripture, then He showed me another scripture that confirmed my experiences. Then I was allowed to paticipate in a healing, and it blew my mind. I went home thinking it was bizzare and was afraid it might be something else besides God. I opened my bible, and He confirmed my experience again! I had a Holy Ghost experience and it continues. That is how I know this is real. Thank God for His promises to those that seek!

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The complexity of life cannot have come from pure random chance and chaos.

It is a fact that something does not come from nothing.

It is a fact that life cannot come from non living material.

Where do morals come from if not God?

Human beings are the only creatures with a conscience, knowing right from wrong.

Humans are the only creatures that have a "God awareness".

That should be a start.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen, Amy, and to add information (the genetic makeup of all living things) must come from intelligence. Its fact a book cannot write itself no matter hom many billion upon billion years you give it.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Good one WD! :thumbsup:

It reminds me of the watchmaker scenario.

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

In recent years these and other parameters for the universe have been more sharply defined and analyzed. Now, nearly two dozen coincidences evincing design have been acknowledged:

1. The gravitational coupling constant--i.e., the force of gravity, determines what kinds of stars are possible in the universe. If the gravitational force were slightly stronger, star formation would proceed more efficiently and all stars would be more massive than our sun by at least 1.4 times. These large stars are important in that they alone manufacture elements heavier than iron, and they alone disperse elements heavier than beryllium to the interstellar medium. Such elements are essential for the formation of planets as well as of living things in any form. However, these stars burn too rapidly and too unevenly to maintain life-supporting conditions on surrounding planets. Stars as small as our sun are necessary for that.

On the other hand, if the gravitational force were slightly weaker, all stars would have less than 0.8 times the mass of the sun. Though such stars burn long and evenly enough to maintain life-supporting planets, no heavy elements essential for building such planets or life would exist.

2. The strong nuclear force coupling constant holds together the particles in the nucleus of an atom. If the strong nuclear force were slightly weaker, multi-proton nuclei would not hold together. Hydrogen would be the only element in the universe.

If this force were slightly stronger, not only would hydrogen be rare in the universe, but also the supply of the various life-essential elements heavier than iron (elements resulting from the fission of very heavy elements) would be insufficient. Either way, life would be impossible.a

3. The weak nuclear force coupling constant affects the behavior of leptons. Leptons form a whole class of elementary particles (e.g., neutrinos, electrons, and photons) that do not participate in strong nuclear reactions. The most familiar weak interaction effect is radioactivity, in particular, the beta decay reaction:

neutron » proton + electron + neutrino.

The availability of neutrons as the universe cools through temperatures appropriate for nuclear fusion determines the amount of helium produced during the first few minutes of the big bang. If the weak nuclear force coupling constant were slightly larger, neutrons would decay more readily, and therefore would be less available. Hence, little or no helium would be produced from the big bang. Without the necessary helium, heavy elements sufficient for the constructing of life would not be made by the nuclear furnaces inside stars. On the other hand, if this constant were slightly smaller, the big bang would burn most or all of the hydrogen into helium, with a subsequent over-abundance of heavy elements made by stars, and again life would not be possible.

A second, possibly more delicate, balance occurs for supernovae. It appears that an outward surge of neutrinos determines whether or not a supernova is able to eject its heavy elements into outer space. If the weak nuclear force coupling constant were slightly larger, neutrinos would pass through a supernova's envelope without disturbing it. Hence, the heavy elements produced by the supernova would remain in the core. If the constant were slightly smaller, the neutrinos would not be capable of blowing away the envelope. Again, the heavy elements essential for life would remain trapped forever within the cores of supernovae.

4. The electromagnetic coupling constant binds electrons to protons in atoms. The characteristics of the orbits of electrons about atoms determines to what degree atoms will bond together to form molecules. If the electromagnetic coupling constant were slightly smaller, no electrons would be held in orbits about nuclei. If it were slightly larger, an atom could not "share" an electron orbit with other atoms. Either way, molecules, and hence life, would be impossible.

5. The ratio of electron to proton mass also determines the characteristics of the orbits of electrons about nuclei. A proton is 1,836 times more massive than an electron. If the electron to proton mass ratio were slightly larger or slightly smaller, again, molecules would not form, and life would be impossible.

6. The age of the universe governs what kinds of stars exist. It takes about three billion years for the first stars to form. It takes another ten or twelve billion years for supernovae to spew out enough heavy elements to make possible stars like our sun, stars capable of spawning rocky planets. Yet another few billion years is necessary for solar-type stars to stabilize sufficiently to support advanced life on any of its planets. Hence, if the universe were just a couple of billion years younger, no environment suitable for life would exist. However, if the universe were about ten (or more) billion years older than it is, there would be no solar-type stars in a stable burning phase in the right part of a galaxy. In other words, the window of time during which life is possible in the universe is relatively narrow.

7. The expansion rate of the universe determines what kinds of stars, if any, form in the universe. If the rate of expansion were slightly less, the whole universe would have recollapsed before any solar-type stars could have settled into a stable burning phase. If the universe were expanding slightly more rapidly, no galaxies (and hence no stars) would condense from the general expansion. How critical is this expansion rate? According to Alan Guth,6 it must be fine-tuned to an accuracy of one part in l0 ^ 55 . Guth, however, suggests that his inflationary model, given certain values for the four fundamental forces of physics, may provide a natural explanation for the critical expansion rate.

8. The entropy level of the universe affects the condensation of massive systems. The universe contains 100,000,000 photons for every baryon. This makes the universe extremely entropic, i.e., a very efficient radiator and a very poor engine. If the entropy level for the universe were slightly larger, no galactic systems would form (and therefore no stars). If the entropy level were slightly smaller, the galactic systems that formed would effectively trap radiation and prevent any fragmentation of the systems into stars. Either way the universe would be devoid of stars and, thus, of life. (Some models for the universe relate this coincidence to a dependence of entropy upon the gravitational coupling constant.7,8)

9. The mass of the universe (actually mass + energy, since E = mc 2) determines how much nuclear burning takes place as the universe cools from the hot big bang. If the mass were slightly larger, too much deuterium (hydrogen atoms with nuclei containing both a proton and a neutron) would form during the cooling of the big bang. Deuterium is a powerful catalyst for subsequent nuclear burning in stars. This extra deuterium would cause stars to burn much too rapidly to sustain life on any possible planet.

On the other hand, if the mass of the universe were slightly smaller, no helium would be generated during the cooling of the big bang. Without helium, stars cannot produce the heavy elements necessary for life. Thus, we see a reason the universe is as big as it is. If it were any smaller (or larger), not even one planet like the earth would be possible.

10. The uniformity of the universe determines its stellar components. Our universe has a high degree of uniformity. Such uniformity is considered to arise most probably from a brief period of inflationary expansion near the time of the origin of the universe. If the inflation (or some other mechanism) had not smoothed the universe to the degree we see, the universe would have developed into a plethora of black holes separated by virtually empty space.

On the other hand, if the universe were smoothed beyond this degree, stars, star clusters, and galaxies may never have formed at all. Either way, the resultant universe would be incapable of supporting life.

11. The stability of the proton affects the quantity of matter in the universe and also the radiation level as it pertains to higher life forms. Each proton contains three quarks. Through the agency of other particles (called bosons) quarks decay into antiquarks, pions, and positive electrons. Currently in our universe this decay process occurs on the average of only once per proton per 10 ^ 32 years.b If that rate were greater, the biological consequences for large animals and man would be catastrophic, for the proton decays would deliver lethal doses of radiation.

On the other hand, if the proton were more stable (less easily formed and less likely to decay), less matter would have emerged from events occurring in the first split second of the universe's existence. There would be insufficient matter in the universe for life to be possible.

12. The fine structure constants relate directly to each of the four fundamental forces of physics (gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear). Compared to the coupling constants, the fine structure constants typically yield stricter design constraints for the universe. For example, the electromagnetic fine structure constant affects the opacity of stellar material. (Opacity is the degree to which a material permits radiant energy to pass through). In star formation, gravity pulls material together while thermal motions tend to pull it apart. An increase in the opacity of this material will limit the effect of thermal motions. Hence, smaller clumps of material will be able to overcome the resistance of the thermal motions. lf the electromagnetic fine structure constant were slightly larger, all stars would be less than 0.7 times the mass of the sun. If the electromagnetic fine structure constant were slightly smaller, all stars would be more than 1.8 times the mass of the sun.

8. quantumfaith

13. The velocity of light can be expressed in a variety of ways as a function of any one of the fundamental forces of physics or as a function of one of the fine structure constants. Hence, in the case of this constant, too, the slightest change, up or down, would negate any possibility for life in the universe.

14. The 8Be, 12C, and 16O nuclear energy levels affect the manufacture and abundances of elements essential to life. Atomic nuclei exist in various discrete energy levels. A transition from one level to another occurs through the emission or capture of a photon that possesses precisely the energy difference between the two levels. The first coincidence here is that 5Be decays in just 10 -15 seconds. Because 8Be is so highly unstable, it slows down the fusion process. If it were more stable, fusion of heavier elements would proceed so readily that catastrophic stellar explosions would result. Such explosions would prevent the formation of many heavy elements essential for life. On the other hand, if 8Be were even more unstable, element production beyond 8Be would not occur.

The second coincidence is that 12C happens to have a nuclear energy level very slightly above the sum of the energy levels for 8Be and 4He. Anything other than this precise nuclear energy level for 12C would guarantee insufficient carbon production for life.

The third coincidence is that 16O has exactly the right nuclear energy level either to prevent all the carbon from turning into oxygen or to facilitate sufficient production of 16O for life. Fred Hoyle, who discovered these coincidences in 1953, concluded that "a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology."10

15. The distance between stars affects the orbits and even the existence of planets. The average distance between stars in our part of the galaxy is about 30 trillion miles. If this distance were slightly smaller, the gravitational interaction between stars would be so strong as to destabilize planetary orbits. This destabilization would create extreme temperature variations on the planet. If this distance were slightly larger, the heavy element debris thrown out by supernovae would be so thinly distributed that rocky planets like earth would never form. The average distance between stars is just right to make possible a planetary system such as our own.

16. The rate of luminosity increase for stars affects the temperature conditions on surrounding planets. Small stars, like the sun, settle into a stable burning phase once the hydrogen fusion process ignites within their core. However, during this stable burning phase such stars undergo a very gradual increase in their luminosity. This gradual increase is perfectly suitable for the gradual introduction of life forms, in a sequence from primitive to advanced, upon a planet. If the rate of increase were slightly greater, a runaway green house effect c would be felt sometime between the introduction of the primitive and the introduction of the advanced life forms. If the rate of increase were slightly smaller, a runaway freezing d of the oceans and lakes would occur. Either way, the planet's temperature would become too extreme for advanced life or even for the long-term survival of primitive life.

This list of sensitive constants is by no means complete. Yet it demonstrates why a growing number of physicists and astronomers have become convinced that the universe was not only divinely brought into existence but also divinely designed. American astronomer George Greenstein expresses his thoughts:

As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency--or, rather, Agency--must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?11

The Earth as a Fit Habitat

It is not just the universe that bears evidence for design. The earth itself reveals such evidence. Frank Drake, Carl Sagan, and Iosef Shklovsky were among the first astronomers to concede this point when they attempted to estimate the number of planets in the universe with environments favorable for the support of life. In the early 1960's they recognized that only a certain kind of star with a planet just the right distance from that star would provide the necessary conditions for life.12 On this basis they made some rather optimistic estimates for the probability of finding life elsewhere in the universe. Shklovsky and Sagan, for example, claimed that 0.001 percent of all stars could have a planet upon which advanced life resides.13

While their analysis was a step in the right direction, it overestimated the range of permissible star types and the range of permissible planetary distances. It also ignored many other significant factors. A sample of parameters sensitive for the support of life on a planet are listed in Table 1.

Table 1: Evidence for the design of the sun-earth-moon system14-31

The following parameters cannot exceed certain limits without disturbing the earth's capacity to support life. Some of these parameters are more narrowly confining than others. For example, the first parameter would eliminate only half the stars from candidacy for life-supporting systems, whereas parameters five, seven, and eight would each eliminate more than ninety-nine in a hundred star-planet systems. Not only must the parameters for life support fall within a certain restrictive range, but they must remain relatively constant over time. And we know that several, such as parameters fourteen through nineteen, are subject to potentially catastrophic fluctuation. In addition to the parameters listed here, there are others, such as the eccentricity of a planet's orbit, that have an upper (or a lower) limit only.

1. number of star companions

if more than one: tidal interactions would disrupt planetary orbits

if less than one: not enough heat produced for life

2. parent star birth date

if more recent: star would not yet have reached stable burning phase

if less recent: stellar system would not yet contain enough heavy elements

3. parent star age

if older: luminosity of star would not be sufficiently stable

if younger: luminosity of star would not be sufficiently stable

4. parent star distance from center of galaxy

if greater: not enough heavy elements to make rocky planets

if less: stellar density and radiation would be too great

5. parent star mass

if greater: luminosity output from the star would not be sufficiently stable

if less: range of distances appropriate for life would be too narrow; tidal forces would disrupt the rotational period for a planet of the right distance

6. parent star color

if redder: insufficient photosynthetic response

if bluer: insufficient photosynthetic response

7. surface gravity

if stronger: planet's atmosphere would retain huge amounts of ammonia and methane

if weaker: planet's atmosphere would lose too much water

8. distance from parent star

if farther away: too cool for a stable water cycle

if closer: too warm for a stable water cycle

9. thickness of crust

if thicker: too much oxygen would be transferred from the atmosphere to the crust

if thinner: volcanic and tectonic activity would be too great

10. rotation period

if longer: diurnal temperature differences would be too great

if shorter: atmospheric wind velocities would be too great

11. gravitational interaction with a moon

if greater: tidal effects on the oceans, atmosphere, and rotational period would be too severe

if less: earth's orbital obliquity would change too much causing climatic instabilities

12. magnetic field

if stronger: electromagnetic storms would be too severe

if weaker: no protection from solar wind particles

13. axial tilt

if greater: surface temperature differences would be too great

if less: surface temperature differences would be too great

14. albedo (ratio of reflected light to total amount falling on surface)

if greater:. runaway ice age would develop

if less: runaway greenhouse effect would develop

15. oxygen to nitrogen ratio in atmosphere

if larger: life functions would proceed too quickly

if smaller: life functions would proceed too slowly

16. carbon dioxide and water vapor levels in atmosphere

if greater: runaway greenhouse effect would develop

if less: insufficient greenhouse effect

17. ozone level in atmosphere

if greater: surface temperatures would become too low

if less: surface temperatures would be too high; too much uv radiation at surface

18. atmospheric electric discharge rate

if greater: too much fire destruction

if less: too little nitrogen fixing in the soil

19. seismic activity

if greater: destruction of too many life-forms

if less: nutrients on ocean floors would not be uplifted

About a dozen other parameters, such as atmospheric chemical composition, currently are being researched for their sensitivity in the support of life. However, the nineteen listed in Table 1 in themselves lead safely to the conclusion that much fewer than a trillionth of a trillionth of a percent of all stars will have a planet capable of sustaining life. Considering that the universe contains only about a trillion galaxies, each averaging a hundred billion stars,e we can see that not even one planet would be expected, by natural processes alone, to possess the necessary conditions to sustain life.f No wonder Robert Rood and James Trefil14 and others have surmised that intelligent physical life exists only on the earth. It seems abundantly clear that the earth, too, in addition to the universe, has experienced divine design.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry QF, my eyes crossed after the first paragraph. I'll wait for the cliff notes or movie :laugh:

10. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I agree with Amy, That the cosmological and moral evidence for God and the lack of evidence that we are here by chance is overwhelming. But to me the resurrection is the key evidence that God exists, This event is so well winessed and changed the world and has been preserved through the special revelation (Scripture). Also the internal witness of the Holy Spirit who comforts as well as convicts those who are His.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Um...yeah...what Quantum said.....[​IMG]

12. North Carolina Tentmaker

That is a great question redaut, and it is a question we don’t have to answer alone for God has given us an answer in his word.

Now you make several comments that show me you have thought about his for some time.

You commented that if you had been born somewhere else you might have believed in the false god of another religion. That of course is true and one of the blessings we can pass on to our children is teaching them from an early age so that they might be more likely to know Christ than they would be otherwise. Of course there are no guarantees.

You want reasons to believe, and God gives us reasons. He does not ask for blind faith but gives us promises and then proves them true to establish himself. Read the word, and then see for yourself if it proves true.

Others have mentioned the creation and of course that is one evidence. God tells us about that. Read Romans starting with chapter 1. In verse 16 Paul begins to explain the gospel and how God has revealed himself to all men, even those who did not grow up “Under the Law” or exposed to Christianity. Verses 17 through 20 show how when God revealed himself to these others he was rejected by them. From verse 21 to the end of the chapter it talks about what happened because they rejected God as he was revealed to them through the creation.

In chapter 2 it goes on another step explaining that if these poor pagans are without excuse how much more responsible are those who know the law and still reject Christ. Verses 14 and 15 explain again that even those who were born outside of the law have the law written on their hearts. This is the conscience of men. We know the truth and would know the truth, at least part of the truth even if we had not been taught it, it is part of our nature. It is because they have rejected the truth they knew that the masses of the world had no more complete truth revealed to them.

The law and the gospel are not just written in God’s word. They are written in God’s creation and on the hearts of men. We were made to be companions and commune with almighty God. We were made in his image and before the fall Adam and God walked together. There is within every man and woman a void in their soul that only God can fill. Throughout the world we can see the lost try to fill that void. They try with pleasure, riches, false religions. They fill it with their jobs or their families. They try to cover it with alcohol and drugs. But until they find the cure for their thirst they will keep returning to whatever well they are drawing from. And the cure of course is Christ.

Keep reading Romans redaut, especially the first 3 chapters and pray for understanding. It will come.

13. quantumfaith

:) Hugh Ross is the source....I think. He is giving some clarification of the anthropic principle(s), the "fine tuning" of the universe required for intelligent sentient carbon based life..

14. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

How do I know He exists?

Observation, experience, and that Still Small Voice.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yeah that too. [​IMG]
    (smarty pants)

Another thing to consider even though you (rednaut) didn't want to bring the bible into it is the history of the word of God because it is truly miraculous.

The bible was written over a period of 1600 years on three different continents in 3 different languages by 40 different authors ranging from kings to fishermen, with one person as it's subject....Jesus Christ. In spite of all the obstacles it has faced, the bible, from Genesis to Revelation is a totally cohesive work, every word and book fitting together perfectly. No other book or written work can even come close to it's accuracy, authenticity, durability, longevity, or popularity.

None other than God could pull that off.

16. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

"The bible was written over a period of 1600 years on three different continents in 3 different languages by 40 different authors ranging from kings to fishermen, with one person as it's subject....Jesus Christ. In spite of all the obstacles it has faced, the bible, from Genesis to Revelation is a totally cohesive work, every word and book fitting together perfectly. No other book or written work can even come close to it's accuracy, authenticity, durability, longevity, or popularity.

None other than God could pull that off."

Awesome!!!

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because Christianity proclaims a God who loves us so much that He sacrificed Himself for us. All other religions proclaim a requirement on self that none of us can achieve. We could discuss all the science, but the truth of the matter comes to: Do you trust in a God that wants you to prove yourself, knowing you can't and that you're destined to fail; or do you trust in a God that knows you can't and are destined to fail, and wants you so much anyway that He's willing to pay the price for you?

18. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To Know Him, is to.....

....know that He exists!

I didn't grow up in a Christian home. Catholicism and more traditional Lutheran teaching was all around me, but I lacked any understanding of the existence of God, nor did I care.

So, when I happened upon Him as a twenty-year old, I was totally taken aback when I found myself accepting the fact that I was a sinner and needed to confess that sin and ask Him into my heart.

Something just clicked within me, and at that moment in time (and space) I knew that I knew that there was not only a God, but that this God had somehow, someway came into my soul and heart and was now doing what this person told me He'd do: Set my soul free!

Later, that night, I experienced a unique calling to the ministry, and early the next morning, I had an out-of-body experience (while I slept)that resulted in, what I can only explain as, going to a place that had to be heaven. I will never forget any of the events of that Christmas Eve afternoon repentance; subsequent evening event that resulted in my calling to the ministry; and the heaven trip.

These three events were as real and unforgettable as anything I've ever experienced in this life, except for the dream sequence I had at Fort Ord while in basic training. The first dream was of an army platoon in Nam, cut off from its main force, and pinned down at a sandy riverbed. We were all injured or killed. Those who were still alive, were either bayoneted or shot in the head by the VC that came through the attack sight, taking wallets, watches, etc. I was bayoneted, and died.

I woke up in a cold sweat from the terror I experienced in that realistic dream. I went back to sleep and saw myself standing before a large crowd of church goers. I was preaching, and quite a few folks came forward to accept Jesus.

I immediately woke up from that realistic like dream and remember saying to God that if He were giving me a choice of direction, I choose the church dream.

BTW - I went to see the film; We Were Soldiers, and there was one fight scene, by a sandy river bed, that reminded me of the dream I had at Ord. It was so realistic, that I was spiritually frozen for some time following that particular scene. It was as if I was there. The sound of hot metal flying all around the actors brought to my senses the all too real smell of gunpowder, and I was actually caught up in the moment. It was like deja vu, in the first person!

Things worked out quite miraculously, and I was medically discharged from the army 12 months later. I had enough time in the Army to earn a GI Bill award, and I used it for college and to study and enter the ministry. I also excelled in college, getting on the dean's list; earning academic scholarships; and doing things in the realm of academia that I never could have done on my own. Prior to my return to college after the army stint, I was an average, underachieving student who flunked out of junior college.

The above examples are just a few of many supernatural events I have experienced over my lifetime, all of which lead me to believe that God not only exists, but is guiding my feet along the narrow path.

I have always looked at the existence of God to be similar to electricity. You can't see electricity, but you can surely feel it; see its powerful results; and experience its wonder in almost everything around you.

Secondly. I took pre-med classes in college, because the idea of life fascinated me. As I studied the human body and its marvelous workings, I clearly saw the handiwork of God in life. I knew, that I knew, that life did not evolve, because the things that make up all living matter is so intricate that it couldn't have come about by some mere mishap in a gooey puddle of mud, millions of years ago.

I was merely an average; sin filled young man. I had no direction or life purpose until God came to me and changed all I knew about me and life around me. So, yes He exists. I may not be able to prove it in a tangible way, but I know within me, that what He has manifested in my life, is like the results of harnessed electricity. It is forever lighting my life and empowering my soul to do things I'd not be able to do on my own. My life is the proof of His existence, as is the lives of so many others who have come and gone, and live today.

In order to prove His existence, you'd have to have been there! And you definitely have to be willing to give Him the opportunity to come into your life and start up the work Christ died to make alive again!

Thus, I believe that to know Him is to actually and unequivocally know He exists! You will never know He exists if you don't first have the faith to let Him into your life!

1 Cor. 2:14 - is clear that natural man (unsaved man) connot know the things of God because the spiritual things in life must be spiritually discerned!

Romans 8:7 - the mind of the flesh [with its carnal thoughts and purposes] is hostile to God, for it does not submit itself to God's Law; indeed it cannot.

These Scriptures (are but a few of many) show that man has to first know God to fully comprehend and understand and discern the spiritual things in life and of God. And knowing Him begins with child like faith...

19. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

How do I know God exists?

At a point in time in my 25th year of life, I was a man without God. Didnt know him from the man in the moon

After a simple heartfelt prayer of surrender and need....I knew that I knew that I knew that God exists...because he changed me dramatically, by indwelling me.

My life was never the same after that day.

Although I, like everyone else, have has ups and downs, His witness and presence in me has never left me.

There are other ways to prove Gods existance of course, but thats the most powerfull one for me.

20. quantumfaith

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: