1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How do you know with certainty that you are saved?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by StefanM, Nov 30, 2016.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've struggled a lot in this area, and it's been difficult to try to figure out. I thought I might gain from the wisdom of the board.

2. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I vividly Recall the Day that I received my Pardon, When Christ Called me To Himself and called me His own. It was the most terrible day and the Most amazing day. God revealed to me what sin was and how i was accountable to Him and that my sin was Against Him. I've never felt so ashamed and crushed. Then He revealed to me His Son Jesus Christ and that His death burial and resurrection Paid for my Pardon. And i fell on my face before an Almighty God and begged for mercy and said Take me, all of me and He granted it. And all the Guilt and Shame was taken off of me. I could breath. No more anger. No more guilty conscience. Now, i was given Knowledge of the Almighty. I knew Him and He knew me. And I loved it. I had new desires, new tastes about How Good God was and i knew that i wanted to please Him so much.

Then i read my Bible and it explained it all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a good thing that the confirmation of our salvation isn't dependent on how we feel about it or ourselves at any given moment.

It's all about what God has done for us. And what he has done - we cannot undo.

I was saved when I was 8, almost nine. When I was 16, I went through a crisis of doubting my salvation that crippled me emotionally for months. I was so scared. But God took me through that. What I learned from that is that I was not living like I was supposed to be and the God allowed that to yank my chain so to speak.

I also went through some agonizing doubts briefly as an adult - Again it was a case of me not putting the Lord first and it caused to be questions my own relationship with him.

Here are three good sites to read that explain why this happens and what to do about it.

Number 1:

http://www.gty.org/resources/positi...rance-a-practical-guide-to-victory-over-doubt
    • I like this one because in it he gives 8 reasons why this happens and what to do about it. It's long, but it's good.

Number 2:

https://gotquestions.org/assurance-salvation.html
    • I don't 100% agree with every article from gotquestions.org, but they they hit this one out of the park.

Number 3:

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-dml/dml-y005.html
    • And I like this last one because it is just so cut and dry - no ambiguities.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love this, particularly the Bolded :)

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But what is the way we receive the Holy Spirit's witness? (Practically speaking)

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe that Christ died on the cross for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead? That is the proof of New Life in Christ. If you believe. :)

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem I see is with faith in Christ. Objectively speaking, the things you described --sure, I believe them.

But I have serious trust issues, so having faith in Christ is a bit shaky.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Remember Peter on the water? His faith was VERY shaky but it was not enough to sink him. Jesus saved him and He didn't let him go.

• Like Like x 1
  11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for that example. I guess it's hard for me, knowing that I should trust but can't (at least at the moment).

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's when you just have to tell God as your Father that you are having trouble and to please hold you through this time of doubt. He'll do it. He's strong enough. :)

When my daughter was diagnosed with a pancreatic tumor at 21 years old, I had a bit of a time with God. I remember driving home the second night when she was in the hospital just SCREAMING at God and I had to pull over because it was unsafe to drive. How could this happen? How could I trust Him through this? By the time I got home, I knew I had no choice and God was still good even if she were to be taken from us. We had a really rough go of it and it took over a month of her almost dying (and I'm not joking) for us to see the end of it and have her healed but I knew God was still good and I had been able to trust Him through the good times so I had to trust Him through this too.

Do you have friends who can be with you and help you through this? Sometimes just friends with a kind word of encouragement helps. How is your medication adjustment doing? If you are still struggling, go back to your doctor. ((HUGS))

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for sharing. I had dinner tonight with a deacon from my church, and we talked about these kinds of things.

The medication adjustment seems to be working well. I came out of a depressive state, but I am a bit emotionally flat. As a result, I believe my spiritual experiences are being affected.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It could very well be that the physical/chemical issues are affecting your spiritual life. Have you been able to be outside and get some physical exercise? I find that helps a LOT with my mind and my soul. It's seriously like an anti-depressant for me! I know it doesn't fix everything but it certainly is helpful for many. I'm glad you were able to have dinner with a deacon. Keep up the relationships - that's super important!

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really don't have much time for exercise (long commute+darkness both when I leave and when I arrive home.

But with the high powered meds I'm on, exercise would be only a small factor.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Try to get outside at lunch then. Seriously - if I don't get a little daylight in my eyes, I go bonkers really quickly - and I don't have a struggle with depression! I know many friends have said that even a 10 minute walk outside helps a lot - no matter how hot or cold it is. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

Occasional times of doubt are perfectly normal. :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, keep in mind, you are dealing with an objective fact based on the promises of a God who can not lie. So, it doesn't matter if you don't feel like you are saved.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Foundation
    1 Corinthians 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
    Is Jesus Christ your salvation? Then you are born of the Spirit.

Faith
    2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.
    Do you walk by faith? then you are led of the Spirit.

Fellowship
    1 John 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

Philippians 2:1Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy,

Do you love and care for the brethren and long to be with them? Then you have the fellowship of the Spirit.

Fervent
    Colossians 4:12 Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.

Romans 12
    10 Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;
    11 not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
    12 rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;

Do you pray fervently? Then you are fervent in the Spirit.

The world of unbelief can bear none of this fruit.

These are just starters.
    You may be weak in some areas. Self examination might be in order

Sins of omission
    1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

Sins of commission/wilful sin:
    NKJV 1 John 2:1 My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God

HankD

#19 HankD, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose my main concern is that perhaps my conversion wasn't legitimate. Feelings aren't the be-all and end-all of faith, but they can provide some clues, it seems.