1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How do you know with certainty that you are saved?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by StefanM, Nov 30, 2016.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I am the poster and I wish to correct you Dr Tom with the view of my own "experience" of doubt and fear.

The witness of the Spirit indicated in the Romans passage replaced the "feeling" that I was saved before my anguish of doubt with something better.

I now have not a shadow of doubt whatsoever because of the scriptural experiences of faith, fellowship, etc which were comparatively weak before my walk in the dry and water less places.

I disagree that "feelings" are not involved, they most certainly are (in my case anyway).

I do agree that these feelings, as strong as they are, take second place to the scripture which in and of itself is a witness to me personally of the Spirit of Christ (hidden from me for a season) speaking to me wordlessly of my sonship.

If joy is a feeling then I have an abundance of "feelings" over and above what I had before my experience in the wilderness and I certainly attribute that to Romans 8:16 as well as John 15:8.

John 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

I don't know why all His children are not led through these dry and waterless places, neither does it make us or them any better than anyone else except perhaps in appreciation of having that blessed assurance and the joy of one's salvation restored/renewed in our spirits.

In fact, I believe (in my case) He saw a flaw in my sanctification and had to discipline me to get me to the proper place.

So any who have not had this horrible experience - thank Him for that blessing , stay close, don't wander.

Psalm 88 was my song for a year or so.

HankD

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    K. But there's no formula to work that out. So, stop talking about it. Go to the Source. Ask, and keep asking.

Mind your errand at the feet of Christ, and the matter will work itself out. Now if you have doubts about even that, then my advice is to leave the church and go live a life of sin. Do not deny yourself any pleasure until you get so miserable you'll seek despite the doubts. Be hot or cold dude. But if you're going to be lukewarm and halt between two opinoins, go away.

:)

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good. I would say the same thing with one caveat: feelings are involved, but they can't be trusted, and they're fickle.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you intend to come across as so abrasive? The WHOLE POINT is for me to try to get help to not be "lukewarm."

Do I need to apologize for seeking help?

5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seeking help is good. The Bible Says that One's heart rejoices over the sweetness of his friend because of his hearty council.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends: what is the source of the "feeling"?

Jesus Himself had sorrowful and distraught feelings.

Mark 14:34 And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch.

John 12:27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

John 13:21 When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

Jesus had feelings of joy and wanted to share it with His own.

John 17:13 And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.

Luke 10:21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight.

HankD

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, well, actually, not. I was replying to Yeshua1's post #44. :)

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He often comes across that way. I really think that some days he only opens his mouth to change feet! :D

You have nothing to apologize for. I can't say the same for some of the posters. :(

Too many of these guys are reading what you post so they can respond rather than so they can understand.

What they don't seem to understand is the constant admonition of "feelings" and "just trust Jesus" is not the solution. They are just cliches.

They seem to have missed it when you said you had trust issues. It is pretty hard to "just trust Jesus" when trust is the problem, not the solution!

And the last thing a man should do is trust his "feelings." How many times have our feelings betrayed us? Over and over again.

Just wait. Hold on. This too shall pass. There are things in life you just have to sweat out. That's no fun, but it is reality.

I have a friend who was always looking for that "Mountain Top" experience. Finally I told him, "You do know that mountain tops are barren, right? All of the growth occurs down in the valley."

You are down in the valley right now, but it is also a time of spiritual growth for you. Things will get better. And the next time you find yourself down in that valley, you will have the growth you got from this experience to help you through the next valley.

Bearing burdens makes us stronger. It is often uncomfortable, but it is how we gain strength, physical, emotional, and spiritual.

You are growing, and that is good, even if the circumstances are very uncomfortable right now.

Remember my favorite verse, "It came to pass." It didn't came to stay! It came to pass! :D:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    oops, my bad :):(

Hopefully the expansion will help Stefan.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stefan, the Book of Lamentations (a neglected book) was very helpful for me as I slowly came out of the darkness of fear and doubt.

The Psalms, the balm of Gilead to sooth the soul:

Psalm 103
    8 The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.
    9 He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever.
    10 He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
    11 For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.
    12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
    13 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.
    14 For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.
    15 As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.
    16 For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.
    17 But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;
    18 To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them.
    19 The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.

Luke 21:19 In your patience possess ye your souls.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for picking up on the real issue.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has been a pleasure chatting with you. I hope I have been able to be some slight encouragement to you. :)

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll admit I was blunt, but I meant every word.

You have an answer for everything.

You don't owe me any apologies. I pointed you to the Source for help. If what is written in the Scriptures doesn't assure you, what do you think you will find in a BB post?

14. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, may I second Kyredneck's recommendation of the book Spiritual Depression by Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones. The author trained as a doctor, but the chapters are actually sermons that he preached. I'm sure the book will be helpful and encouraging to you. You should be able to find it on Amazon easily enough.
    Other than that, I would just repeat, your warrant to come to Christ is not that you think you are one of the 'elect' or anything like that, but that you are a sinner, and the Lord Jesus Christ promises to save such. What the Pharisees said of Him in derision, is glorious truth for us: 'This Man receives sinners!' (Luke 15:2). How great is that? Furthermore, He says, "The one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out" (John 6:37). Who can come to Him? You can! He says, "Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:29). Is that not you? Does that not speak directly to your condition? He calls you! He invites you! And He promises not under any circumstances to turn you away. So come to Him, with all your doubts, with whatever burdens you are carrying, and He will give you rest, and He will by no means cast you out. Lay hold of Him in faith and cry out like Jacob, "I will not let You go until You bless me," and He surely will.

• Like Like x 1
  15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's an explanation. You misread my intentions.

Which part of Scripture? What would be the best place to start? etc etc

Those are the kinds of things that are helpful. Sarcasm is not helpful. It distracts from the real issue.

It's not wrong for someone to seek help in some way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To expand:

We are facing one of two scenarios with me---

1) A person who is not actually saved but is showing legitimate interest
    2) A person who is actually saved but lacks assurance, in large part due to trust issues.

Neither of these scenarios involve someone strong in the faith in this case. I know that God humbles the proud and gives grace to the humble. I'll readily admit that I have no basis for a prideful attitude. I am humbly seeking wisdom as best I know how.

I don't want to be that way, but my trust issues are quite significant. I wish I had more strength to endure, so I'm trying to sort out where even to start.

Going to God (in prayer and in reading the Bible) is an obvious answer, and I've been doing those things--probably not as much as I should, but at least it's in the right direction.

I am meeting with a deacon in my church regularly, so that helps, too. But once a week or once every two weeks (depending on schedule) isn't enough for someone who is legitimately concerned about possibly needing salvation.

I just thought that because the BB has a lot of posters who are knowledgeable and wise that I could also glean something from here.

To be honest, I don't care how I get to the destination of assurance; I'm willing to take all the help I can get!

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK Steve, so lets look at this from a completely objective position. We were born & we will eventually die.....it is something that happens to us all on planet earth. Some live in deplorable conditions & others live in the seeming lap of luxury & comfort. But what do we really have.....really nothing will comfort us through the bad times except a higher power that will teach us things like patience, love for humanity, faith .....and in that faith we "eventually" grasp our meaning. So I'm not going to preach to you anything, except what I perceive to be the real answer. That is Christ the Lord & it is upon Him that we all lay our burdens. And you know this mentally however you are carrying the burden physically of manic depression ....and I know brother that its a cross to bear but well here it is. Face the difficulty head on, pray to God for illumination & have faith. After all, you are not the only one struggling. BTW it is your struggling which is causing those doubts. See the world is often too much for us & we crumble under its pressures. We get too immersed in its problems. We need to look ahead, to anticipate, to look forward to the eternal glories gleaming afar. The Christian life is a tasting of the first fruits of the great harvest which is to come. The eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for then that love Him. Set your affection on things above & not on things on this earth. There is an abundant harvest ....look forward to it "You will reap"

God bless you....your in my prayers! :Smile

18. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

With regard to the OP I believe the most effective ways you can know that you are saved are:

1. Are you sin sensitive? Does sin bother you?

2. What do you believe Christ did for your sins? What did you trust him to do?

3. Has there been any change in your life since you professed salvation?

4. What is your diet? Do you have a daily diet of prayer and the word?

5. What do those you consider to be spiritual mature Christian friends think? There is wisdom in a multitude of counselors if they are mature spiritual Christians.

Salvation is not based on your feelings as you feel saved one moment and lost the next moment. Depression can be a medical problem or it can be self-inflicted by allowing sin in your life and/or not doing what you know you should be doing. It can be the result of your enviroment and what you allow in your life, who you hang with and what you expose yourself to.

Salvation is not based on your circumstances as Job's life was one of horror but yet God said there is none like him on earth.

19. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Most of the time, yes. When I mess up I feel awful.

2) He came to earth to die an atoning death, was raised from the dead, and provides the only basis for salvation.

3) It was a while ago, so I can't remember any real changes (not that they didn't occur--I just can't remember).

4) Not quite daily for Bible reading/prayer, but I do read and pray regularly (4-5 times a week, I'd say). Prayer is hard for me, so I tend to have brief prayer times, along with the quick prayers said in a difficult situation.

5) I really don't know. I don't have many friends, and I don't know what they would say.

A complicating factor is that I have bipolar disorder (so it's medical, with some possible situational depression added on). Part of my problem is that the medication I take to stabilize my mood seems to do that too well. Emotions are hard to experience like this

Thank you for your questions! They got me thinking.

20. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On your day off, Lock yourself in a closet and pray to the Lord and Seek Him in His Word until you get assurance. it make take 5 minutes, it may take 5 hours. Wouldn't it be worth it?