1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you know you are of the elect?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by tenor, Sep 22, 2005.

1. tenor

tenor New Member

Hello all!

One question for the hyper-Calvinists in the grop: How do you know you are of the elect? Can you know?

Whoops, that's two questions. Sorry.

Please bear with me as I throw in a third: If God chooses and we have absolutely no say in the matter, why bother to live the "Christian life"? Doesn't this negate the concept of evangelism? (Oops that's four)

Thanks for your replies,

Tim

2. here now

here now Member

Hi Tim,
    I'm not a Hyper-calvinist but I can answer that.
    I am elect because I am saved.
    All who are truly saved are the elect.

Your question of living the "Christian life" suggests that comes first and makes us acceptable. But,it is after you are saved that you live the "Christian life".

The point in spreading God's word is not that you are saving people. It is one of God's means of His saving people. You can share the Gospel with a million people but until God chooses not one person will be saved.

3. OCC

OCC Guest

You don't. Because there are many people who are going to think they are saved and they aren't.

4. here now

here now Member

King James, do you think that you are saved?

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

To the Calvinist, a person who is saved is elect. A person who is not saves is not. One must be saved to enter the Kingdom.

To the Arminian, one's view on election is irrelevant. One must be saved to enter the Kingdom.

Regardless of the Calvinist/Arminian arguement, one must be saved to enter the Kingdom.

6. OCC

OCC Guest

Yes, I believe I am saved here and now. [​IMG]

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Hi tenor,

I'm not a hyper-Calvinist, but I will answer as well. First of all I am confused to what you consider a hyper-Calvinist. Do you consider a peson who believes in the biblical doctrine of unconditional election a hyper-Calvinist.

To answer your question. I am saved, so I am one of the elect.

"These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God." 1 John 5:13 (NKJV)

To answer both, God commands all who believe in Him to participate in both of these. We are to glorify God by obeying Him. Belief in election only enhances evangelism rather than negate it.

8. tenor

tenor New Member

Thanks for the answers. i think we have a differing in terminology. I too believe that if you are saved you are of the elect. I guess my question should be How do you know you are saved if there is no decision on your part?

I mean no disespect using hyper-Calvinist. I guess you could say that in many ways I am a hybrid, with a strong belief that we must accept or reject God's gift. God may know we will decide, but there is a decision. I am saved.

No, I am not hinting at works salvation. My question is this: If God has chosen me for salvation then why must I "follow the rules" if I'm going to heaven anyway?

Thanks for the comments.
    Tim

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Because the cheif duty of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him, and that only comes when we obey His commandments.

10. tenor

tenor New Member

Thanks. Right out of the shorter Catechism, if I'm not mistaken.

11. here now

here now Member

Tim says:
    No, I am not hinting at works salvation. My question is this: If God has chosen me for salvation then why must I "follow the rules" if I'm going to heaven anyway?

What "rules" are you speaking of? I just want to make sure that I know exactly what you are speaking of.

12. tenor

tenor New Member

I guess I'm using that word in a coloquial way. What I mean is Why if I am chosen by God for salvation and not condemned by God, why should I "live a moral life," "share my faith," etc.? I know these are commands for the elect, so please don't go that way.

If I cannot kow for certain that I am "saved" (although one scripture says "I have come that you can know..." (loose translation))why would I wnat to do these things, even if I might be?

I hope this clarifies. I'm much better in person with thigs like this.

Tim

13. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Tenor,

A Calvinist believes the Elect do make a decision to "accept" Christ. It is the non-elect who never come to Christ.

A Calvinist lives a moral life for the same reason an Arminian does - He is a changed being and his desire is to live for God.

14. tenor

tenor New Member

Thank you. This is the most concise answer I've gotten. I have never heard anyone say it in this way. We seem to be using the same terms and I am generally in agreement with you.

Thanks, Tim

15. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello tenor.

We are not required to do anything but as we please. We are not under law Christ died for our sins and therefore we are free. Only this knowledge of the freedom we enjoy in God can result in a right response. Out of gratitude we enjoy pleasing our Father but if we don't we might be chastised by a loving Father. We are required to do nothing but being confident of this, that he who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

There are no rules in Christianity each moment must be taken on it's merits and dealt with as an original incident. The conscience is a good guide on correct behaviour but if correct behaviour is not your bag stuff it God will correct you as a loving Father maybe or leave you to stew but never leave you. :cool: I am free. No law.

You are not far from the truth.

john.

16. billwald

billwald New Member

First you gots to die and then God tells you if you are elect. There is no objective test for election.

17. hamricba

hamricba New Member

Wrong.

The elect repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. The non-elect stay in sin.

I know I am elect because I believe Jesus Christ died for me to save me.

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

What a funny thing to say, really. You didn't think before you yapped, BW.
    Your formula works quite well with those who think they'll go to heaven because they accepted Christ as Savior with some silly little prayer.

19. johnp.

johnp. New Member

I know I am elect because I believe Jesus Christ died for me to save me. :cool:

And I know I am elect because I believe Jesus Christ died for me to save me. :cool:

john. :cool:

20. here now

here now Member

I'll second.....no, no, wait, I'll third that.