1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you organize your library of books?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Greektim, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I currently separate my commentaries and Hebrew/Greek stuff from everything else. I put commentaries in canonical order. But the main bulk of my library is just everything (except fiction) organized by author. I have a small fiction, so that's not an issue.

Does anyone have a good way to do this? I'm wanting to see if I can improve my arrangement of books.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My book shelves are set at varying heights, for storing short books on top, then, taller and then tallest on the bottom, i.e exhaustive concordance. Over time the books I use most often have gravitated to the near end of the lower shelves, so I can reach them while still sitting in my office chair.

Not very scientific, but works for me.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my "office" (computer room/Library) I have a 8Ft X 8Ft book case against one of the walls which
    of my sons built for me. It is jammed with books in order by kind which has long been put into disarray; plus there are several nooks and crannies full of books stacked up to various heights in no particular order or kind making it difficult to navigate through the room. Also some books have migrated into different parts of the house singularly and in groups.

If you know IT jargonese it would be called a partitioned random access storage device with data overflow sectors.

This method does not make my wife happy.

HankD

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Having a larger library I've generally followed a similar pattern to GT. My commentaries go in one section and are ordered according to book of Bible or, upon approaching a section such as Wisdom Literature, at the start of the section. Then I've placed general OT and NT studies and introductions together.

The rest of the library follows a basic pattern of lumping them together by theological field (soteriology, ecclesiology, historical theology, etc) and then discipline if the works are outside traditional theological categories. It is a system all my own and it works for me. I know where all my books are when I need them.

I've also divided up my library between my home study and church office based on how I use the texts and the nature of them. Generally speaking, church growth resources and some general purpose texts that I use for prepping for studies or preaching. I do most of my in-depth research for studying, teaching, preaching, and writing at my home study.

I don't have much fiction but what is there isn't in my formal library but assorted across our family room and a guest room. Frankly, if there is a fiction book out there I'm usually buying it through my Kindle or getting rid of it as soon as I'm done with it.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have some books on my ipad but I like having an actual book. I segregate mine in the same way as has been mentioned. I have other topics such as poetry and history. I also have a set of books on a small shelf next to my desk which holds my primary tools of study such as commentaries, Bibles, some historical books related to scripture, a book on writing and grammar, and research.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've limited myself to seven shelves of books, any more than that and I cull the lot.

I've not got much of system, but it works for me.

Three are in my family room.
    One shelf is solely for fiction.
    One deals with interpretation, this shelf also contains various hermeneutical approaches to the science and Genesis debates.
    The last contains translations by individuals, (e.g. Alter, Fox), books on interpretation and structure of OT narrative as well as books dealing with biblical authority, inerrancy and a bit of interpretation.

In my 'library' I have four full shelves.
    One is for the physical sciences and history.
    Another contains concordances, lexicons, dictionaries, and Hebrew and Greek grammars, with a smattering of other related material.
    Next to it is a full shelf of commentaries arranged by biblical book.
    I've got half a book case for doctrine and Systematic Theology texts. Under these are two shelves of various translations and old bibles.
    The bottom (taller) shelves of each bookcase contains notebooks of articles, notes and class material I felt was worth keeping.

Lastly there's my bedside shelf where I keep books I read, want to read, or have read and want to read again and again. Arranged haphazardly.
    The number of books is small enough that I know where every book is without much though.

Many of the books I've purchased recently have been digital.

Rob

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those of you, especially if you have a large number of books, should look at Library Thing.

https://www.librarything.com/

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you very much for posting this. Never thought to ask you. Should have.:smilewinkgrin:

9. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't much help with arranging a library, or is there something there that makes suggestions?

10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The site will give you Dewey Classification numbers. If you use those and put them on the spine of your books that will bring like subjects together.

Also subject headings are shown. This should help also.

Here is an example of two of the books I own:

Once you enter your book you can click on it and more information will be brought up.

Happy classifying.

#10 Crabtownboy, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2015
  11. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bookcase 1
    Calvin Commentaries
    Creationism
    Christian Biographies