1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you tell your Baptist Church is....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by joey, Nov 11, 2011.

1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I was basing it off you saying you had only been to one. Of course you could have met people you never knew were Calvinists. I'm one and unless you bring it up to me, I don't discuss it. (that is speaking of in person and not the discussions here)

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there is an alter in the back where we worship John Calvin but the password to get in is "Sovereign" BTW, you can easily tell us from the others because we all think we are intellectually superior.

#22 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2011
  3. Winman

Winman Active Member

If you want folks to think you are intellectually superior, you need to learn how to correctly spell altar. Two a's and no e. :tongue3:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Always that constant temptation to slip that human element back into the equation .... very consistent:laugh:

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

No, he meant "alter", where sinners are "altered." It's a play on words, and a test, and only the intellectually superior would see and grasp this sense immediately.

:laugh: :thumbsup: :tongue3:

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

That was truly meant as a lighthearted joke, I make typos all the time. But the shot was there, so I took it. :tongue3:

You can probably tell if your pastor is a Calvinist when you visit his office and notice portraits of Calvin, Pink, Spurgeon... :laugh:

#26 Winman, Nov 12, 2011
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah yes.... you certainly have a theocentric perspective P4T which some others lack.:love2:

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh, I see, only the altered would understand that altar really means alter. I get it. Does that mean I have now been altered?

9. preacher4truth

Almost, yet, this is not horseshoes. :laugh:

10. preacher4truth

Hmmm, wonder what "subliminal" message lies within "lacking a theocentric perspective?" :laugh: :laugh: :applause:

11. joey

joey Member

I was hoping to avoid that as I will be moving a few states away (up north) in only one month.

I want a quick and easy answer!!!! Like "10 different ways to know if your pastor's rrreeallyyy a Calvinist...." potential for one-liners there people :laugh:

12. joey

joey Member

Yes I think most christians these days don't think in-depth about doctrine. Probably many pastors oversimplify their message to cater to these people. My current Baptist church goes into the bible passages being preached pretty carefully.

Thinking about it the books I remember preached on this year have been more practical than theological ones (e.g. Book of James) so maybe that's why I haven't heard anything pro- or anti-Calvinism yet.

13. 12strings

12strings Active Member

If you are looking for a "behind the back" way to discover it, here's what I would suggest:

Ask the pastor to recomend some authors/speakers/books for your theological study. Then see what kind of person he recommends. It's not foolproof, but it might tell you a few things. If he lists people like piper, macarther, sproul, driscoll, he may not be a full-fledged calvinist, but it will at least tell you he does not have a huge problem with them.

If he recomends mainly people like stanley, adrain rogers, jerry vines... he is probalby much less calvinistic.

14. Herald

Herald New Member

Baptist churches that believe in the DoG come in a few different flavors. If the church is confessional, like mine, a cursory glance at the doctrinal statement will reveal what it believes. By confessional I mean a Baptist church that adheres either to the 1644/46 First London Baptist Confession of Faith or the 1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith. The more popular of the two is the 1689.

A second type are independent Baptist churches without a confessional subscription. Sometimes the only way to find out if one of these churches adheres to the DoG is to ask the pastor/elder; or listen to the preaching over a period of time. Also, look at their website. You can find clues there. You can also visit the 9 Marks website and use their church finder: HERE. 9 Marks is a ministry of Capitpl Hill Baptist Church in Washington, D.C.; an SBC Founders Church. Mark Dever is the senior pastor. Churches that are on the 9 Mark website, more often than not, believe in the DoG. If you're looking for a DoG church, or trying to avoid one, this website is a big help.

#34 Herald, Nov 12, 2011
  15. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Your Pastor may be a Calvinist...

10. If he refers to Romans 9 at least twice in every sermon.
    9. If he always tags on the phrase "of the elect" to the word "all."
    8. If he appears annoyed by the word "whosoever."
    7. If he sounds like a school girl with a crush when talking about Charles Spurgeon.
    6. If he owns at least three books written by John Piper.
    5. If he prefers tulips over roses.
    4. If he insists on having 5 points in every sermon.
    3. If he prefers taking the train to driving a car because he'd rather be on a predetermined course controlled by someone else.
    2. If one of his children or pets is named "Calvin."
    1. If he thinks this post, and just about any unflattering comment made about Calvinists or their beliefs is a complete a totally misrepresentation.

:laugh:

:smilewinkgrin: Just joking guys!

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK....does he sport a beard? LOL

#36 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 12, 2011
  17. Skandelon

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that one! Good one! I seriously had a go-tee for the whole decade I was a Calvinist. I have no idea why that is... :applause:

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spurgeon Complex....did you smoke cigars?

19. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I assume you have phones down under? Just call him and say "Hey would you describe yourself as a Calvinist?". It's quick, simple, and easy.

20. Skandelon

Ironically, no. But I do now. My best friend is a Calvinist and we usually smoke one when we get together. Nothing like a good fat cigar and an ale while talking about theology! :saint: