1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How does the serpent distort words?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by stanleyg, Oct 13, 2006.

1. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

Recall the first thing God said to describe the serpent. That's right! He is the most subtil beast that God had made.

Subtill connotates cunning.

The serpent plays tricks with God's word to add or subtract letters to distort one's thinking. I am starting a list so that members in our body of Christ can add words to the list that the Holy Spirit has revealed to him or her.

Observe that the letter added and/or subtracted will either distort or modify the meaning. State whether either word is a (D) distortion or (M) modification.

Examples:

M Evil + d = Devil
    D God + l = Gold
    D Word + l = World
    D Heaven - h + l = Leaven

Rev12
    [9] And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Amen!

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're playing games with English words, nothing more and nothing less.

The evil one would be happy for us to obsess about spellings instead of spending our time growing in grace and serving in the power of the Kingdom.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 13:33 "Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened."

4. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

Subtil? Subtill? Did that ole debil distort those words? French? Old English?

Methinks Epictetus was having a bad day. Why would anyone even try to learn what he thinks he already knows, however, if shown new and compelling evidence, why wouldn't he relearn, or learn anew? I "think" I know? Is that positive (I know that I know), or relative (maybe I know, depending upon the context), or subjective (I know that I know), or..........

#4 dispen4ever, Oct 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2006
  5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

It s-s-s-s-urely might be s-s-s-s-ugges-s-s-ted that it s-s-s-s-eem-s-s-s there's-s-s-s-s s-s-s-s-s-omething amis-s-s-s-s-ss among s-s-s-s-ome pos-s-s-s-ts-s-s-s- I read occas-s-s-s-s-ionally on the BB. I wonder why I tend to think that?

Ed

"Beware the 'New Revelationism' whereby every man becomes his own little god." (Author of quote unknown.)

#5 EdSutton, Oct 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2006
  6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well said. Comparing English with the Biblical Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, as to adding or changing letters is about akin to comparing Chinese and 'Pig Latin'.

Ed

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:BangHead: :tonofbricks: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Q: How does the serpent distort words?

A: He lithps...that doggone forked tongue... :applause:

9. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

You gotta wonder what evil person put an "s" in the word "lisp."