1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Does Your Church Administer Communion?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Aug 19, 2012.

?
  1. Closed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Close

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Open

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  4. No Written Policy or Other (please explain)

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It would be interesting to know how different local churches administer Communion and why. Our church has no written policy, but do not deny communion to anyone in attendance. Tom and I go to the same church, but he believes in closed, and I tend to agree with open. We agree with most other issues. Neither of us would make this a test of fellowship, nor would either leave the church if the local body ever decided to adopt a policy one way or the other. Tom is a very close brother in Christ, and have the utmost respect for his strong Christian beliefs.

#1 saturneptune, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
  2. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Not to derail my own thread, but last summer I went on a mission trip near Inez, KY. I have never been to Pikeville, but it is certainly beautiful country up that way.

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot. I really enjoyed reading your site. Brought back many wonderful memories. The last time I attended an Old Regular Baptist service [other than a funeral] was a communion service.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I enjoyed visiting your website, and reading the section on communion.

Although your Communion is described as closed, I noticed that you invite those from corresponding churches to participate, but do not give a general invitation.

I would describe that as "close," in a way. Although, if I understand correctly, I would not be invited to participate, since I am not from a corresponding church. And given my own position, I could not participate, even if invited.

What I like is that your policy is clearly stated. I think most visitors to your church would not be upset, even if your view was not theirs. Baptists of every stripe understand local church autonomy.

Where most problems would arise, I think, spring from a lack of a clear church position. I think the congregation SN and I serve would benefit from a clear position, clearly stated each time we have communion.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We require that they belong to the Church of Christ, even if NOT a member of our local church!

Don't we ALL in a sense practice 'closed communion", for ONLY saved allowed to partake it!

#6 Yeshua1, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
  7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Of course, where you start determines where you come out.

If you, like Yeshua, believe in the existence of The Church, then you will likely favor open communion.

If, however, you hold that there are only local churches, and the universal church does not exist, you can see why closed communion makes sense.

I suspect that a large majority of BB folks observe the Lord's Supper the way they do because that's the way it's always been done. Would I be right?

I'm also curious if some of you pastors have altered the way it was done before you got there.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that some of us taking it also need to make sure we have confessed and be cleansed before partaking it, as it is for those BOTH saved and cleansed!

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

It has been a minute since I have been to a church that practices closed communion, and I guess even close communion.... not in my realm of attendance. I hold to open communion, but having taught to it....