1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How exactly does one define....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ktn4eg, Dec 9, 2013.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

....."good men"?

Often I read in posts on BB about controversial subjects that "good men" have different ideas/interpretations over X [whatever the subject may be].

So, tell me, how precisely does an individual attain to the position of a "good man"?

Is a "good man" merely someone who happens to agree with the majority of one's own personal view(s) on theology?

EX: Would an arminian consider John Gill a "good man"? Would a calvinist consider Finney a "good man"?

According to Romans 3, I'm not so sure that we should call any person "good."

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post. I'm sure many will share some good opinions. ;)

Hmm...when one stacks John Gill up against Charles Finney doing the old Ben Franklin approach of pros and cons -- Gill comes out way ahead. Was Gill "good" in and of himself? Certainly not. But the Lord is the giver of "good" gifts.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To an extent, good and evil are in the eye of the beholder. A hunter makes a good shot, falling the prey, but if the prey could talk, it might say he was murdered for sport. If a tornado hits your home, you might say it was an evil wind, yet our harsh environment results in some seeking God as a refuge.

Jesus said no one was good except God, teaching I suppose that Jesus might be God because He was considered good.

If we define "good" as something or someone that fills a need, then many men can be considered "good" even though they are deeply flawed (committing sinful acts, whether born anew or not.)

Turning to bible teachers, if a bible teacher opens our eyes to the truth, or causes us to consider the possibility that our prior view might be mistaken, then I would say he or she fills a need and is therefore good.

No bible teacher should be expected to hit the nail on the head all the time, being fallible and seeing through a glass darkly, but if he or she uses a consistent hermeneutic, rather than using this rule here and that rule their, like the NWT translators, and teaches his or her view of truth with integrity, I would say they are "good."

#3 Van, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013