1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Far Do You Go When Tempted?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Dec 3, 2013.

?
  1. When I make an effort to get a second, third or fourth look to satisfy my curiosity...

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. When I can't stop thinking about her/him....

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. When I begin to fantasize of her/him and me...

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. When I look forward to seeing this person again, and as soon as possible...

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  5. When I find a way to introduce myself, beyond just being a welcome gesture...

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  6. When I decide to get my wife or girlfriend to buy a similar outfit...

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. When I am completely overwhelmed with thoughts of her/him...

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  8. When I try to turn my thoughts into actions...

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  9. When I become physically engaged with her/him...

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  10. My answer not here, see my comment!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saturn made a great point on another OP I have regarding temptation and what constitutes a sin!

First of all, I want to thank SN for a great example, and I pray he isn't offended with me using this as a role-play example. He said, "If I am driving down the road and see a woman in short shorts, obviously an unholy thought will enter my mind. At that point, it is NOT NOT a sin. It becomes a sin when I drive around the block for a second look. In other words, when I chose not to dismiss the thought and go on, but play with it in my mind, and every male on this earth knows exactly what I am talking about."

I thought this was a great example to make a poll out of, and even the ladies can take the poll, substituting the scantly dressed female alongside the road to a young, masculine man in skin tight jeans, and a very attractive demeanor!

At which point in seeing this person, at church [and we all know this happens in church, if you are going to be totally honest] as well as outside of church, does it become more than a temptation? At which point does it become a sin, according to your understanding of temptation and sin?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    when it moves into the area of fantasy/imagination, thinking on how to hook up with other party!

That breaks the ole "that shall not covet" Commandment!

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

The title of the thread vs. the title of the poll are two different questions. I refuse to give into temptation. I was far too much a willing participant in sin when I was in my drinking and gambling days, therefore I am constantly on the alert and am well aware of my surroundings, my frame of mind, and what kind of attuning my spirit and the Holy Spirit within me are engaged in.

Plus, as regards the poll question, I love my wife very much, consider her the most beautiful, sexy woman I've ever had the blessing to know, and don't look at anyone else.

That said, again, the poll isn't the same question implied in the thread title. Temptation becomes sin, as S/N said -- and he echoes Billy Graham in his assessment -- when one engages the temptation. Graham said this of King David, when he was tempted into sin with Bathsheba and wound up essentially executing his loyal servant and friend, the "mighty man," Uriah.

"It was not the first look that led to David's sin," said Dr. Graham. "It was the second look. He could not avoid the first look. But he could have -- and should have -- avoided the second one."

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank God for salvation, for we now have the Holy spirit to empower us and enable us to overcome as we submit to Him...

The unsaved have just their fallen sin natures to help them, so will be doing that stuff all the time!

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I actually disagree with this. The sin is the lust that causes you to get or desire that second look. It can be a sin of lust even if you DON'T get that second look. Lust in the heart is the issue, not tallying the amount of looks.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Par for the course with RD2.

I think that every one of the choices in the poll is sinning, except perhaps the first choice. It would depend on why you were taking the second, third, and fourth look. Why are you curious? Do I know that person? Did I go to high school with that person? Or are you admiring a physical attribute?

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why the bible commands us to take up the shield of faith, as the longer we hold those fiery darts in our minds, bigger change to get burned!

8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True....

.....one can develop lust in the first look, which is probably the motivating factor to get the second and third looks!

9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Title is....

....in the spirit of the poll question! Besides, it is my post/thread, so I get to do what I desire or feel led to do!. Also, if I were a golfer, "par" would not be a bad thing :laugh: