1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How far would you go?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Servent, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

No alcohol, strippers, or beauty contests. I think we could all agree on that. Maybe. I could probably be wrong.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I was going to make a humorous remark but realize it could be taken the wrong way, so I didn't.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I can't think of anywhere I wouldn't go if there were an opportunity to witness and I felt led to do it. I've talked about Christ to people in New Age and Wiccan bookstores, and I've led or been part of outreaches at Marilyn Manson concerts, Rev. Moon events (several times), at a Buddhist event (it was pretty much all Western followers like I used to be), at a Sri Chimnoy event (he's dead but was holding "peace" concerts to recruit young people), in downtown D.C., and others places. I think it's best to witness with a group going somewhere together, or at least one other person.

I wouldn't do anything sneaky to witness -- like pretend to be something I'm not and then "surprise" people that I'm a Christian. I think that's one of the worst things to do.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Marcia, I salute you. My question mainly related to methods and strategies, more than people. I think we all share your conviction that no group of people is off-limits.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Oops, I'm afraid alcohol is not off-limits to some. Have you heard of the beer-hall Bible studies?

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I am pretty sure that none of those three choices is where I would witness, but if I was given a choice of that or an "alternative life-style bar"..........................

Seriously, I believe common sense and the Holy Spirit's lead would solve lots of these questions.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

That's why I said that I could probably be wrong. Should have said I AM wrong. Some folks confuse grace with a license to sin under the guise of being all things to all men.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If it's sinful or if it is clearly crosses the line of common sense, it's off limits.

9. Servent

Servent Member

I have gone into a bar to witness to someone God put on my heart. Before Christ came into my life I spent a lot of time in bars, Now I spend most of my witnessing time on the streets of Downtown Houston.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I spoke once to young people meeting in the upstairs room of a tavern. There was beer and pizza (I did not partake of the beer). This was actually an outreach of a group of singles ministries in that city who banded together to hold these meetings, bring in speakers, and share the gospel. I am all for this as it is being done carefully and purposefully, and several churches/Christians doing it together, so there is accountability.

There was no drinking of hard liquor and the purpose clearly was not to get drunk or event to drink. The people coming were interested in the topic of the talk. It was a nice informal way to share the truth.

11. Heiress

Heiress New Member

this sounds so contradictive to me, christians hanging out in worldly places to spread the word. you shouldn't go anywhere you might even the slightest be tempted nor should you be in an environment that allows and fosters sin

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I wasn't "hanging out." This was not just walking into some bar but a meeting held in a special room set aside for the purpose of the talk. It was very decorous.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

We had a bunch of strippers at our church the other night.

Took 'em about six hours to finish the floors.

:D

14. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

If a group of men go to the front while a group of ladies goes to the back, witness while passing out tracks, one of the strippers comes to your church, gets saved, did you "go too far"? Did Jesus go too far by leaving Heaven to come to this sinful world? Just how far is too far anyway?

15. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I would sell everything I own, pack up my babies, and move 5,000 miles away from all things familiar. I would start over again (over and over) and learn another language. I would live in a remote village, over an hour from the nearest McDonalds.

Beyond that, I don't know.

;)

16. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen brother, amen and amen. If we are no willing to sacrifice all, i.e. the "rich your ruler," or go where we do not want to go, i.e. Jonah, then we are not willing to follow God where he leads.

17. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said, "Go ye into all the world........................." He did not say to stay in Christian ghettos. So you would be against the Christians at the seminary in Prague who go weekly to downtown bars in Prague to talk to, to witness to, and to help prostitutes break away from that evil practice. Jesus was criticized because he ate with sinners and he talked to women. If he were here today he would be talking to and ministering to people in bars, on skid row, to people with HIV/AIDS, etc.

A person can stay in the home, go only to church and perhaps never be tempted, but they have done nothing for Christ in doing so. Temptation is a part of life and if we fall we confess, we repent and God forgives and we continue on working for his kingdom even in unsavory places. Remember David and his sins ... but he repented, God forgave and he continued. In fact scripture says David was a man after God's own heart. It is not just the down and out who need witness, it is also the up and out. To do nothing is always wrong. To do something is sometimes wrong, but more often it is right.

#37 Crabtownboy, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
  18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.
    Nope.
    Not to reach him. Maybe to love him.

To reach the lost I would preach the Gospel. God's sheep know His voice.

19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible says that Jesus invited "terrible" sinners and publicans to eat with him in Matthew's home. It does not say that Jesus frequented the "establishments" of these sinners - whether they be bars, brothals, or gambling houses.

He did "see" Levi (Matthew) sitting at his tax collecting business, but he called out to him, "Follow Me".

He didn't associate Himself with the world's bad "places", but He did eat in Matthew's home with those whom the Pharisees thought were the scum of the earth.

And Jesus did say that these "scum" would enter into Heaven first because of their faith.

Matthew 21:31-33

Then Jesus explained his meaning: “I tell you the truth, corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the Kingdom of God before you do. For John the Baptist came and showed you the right way to live, but you didn’t believe him, while tax collectors and prostitutes did. And even when you saw this happening, you refused to believe him and repent of your sins.

Mark 2:13-17

"[Jesus] went out again along the seashore; and all the multitude kept gathering about Him, and He kept teaching them.

And as He was passing by, He saw Levi (Matthew) son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax office, and He said to him, Follow Me! [Be joined to Me as a disciple, side with My party!] And he arose and joined Him as His disciple and sided with His party and accompanied Him.

And as Jesus, together with His disciples, sat at table in his [Levi's] house, many tax collectors and persons [definitely stained] with sin were dining with Him, for there were many who walked the same road (followed) with Him.

And the scribes [belonging to the party] of the Pharisees, when they saw that He was eating with [those definitely known to be especially wicked] sinners and tax collectors, said to His disciples, Why does He eat and drink with tax collectors and [notorious] sinners?
    And when Jesus heard it, He said to them, Those who are strong and well have no need of a physician, but those who are weak and sick; I came not to call the righteous ones to repentance, but sinners (the erring ones and all those not free from sin)."

It's my true belief that a Christian can counsel and witness to the drunk and the prostitutes by bringing them into their homes or meeting them in neutral places.

If neither John the Baptist nor Jesus entered the brothals, yet still reached out in love to the prostitute amd brought them to faith, then that should be our standard.

20. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

I don't see anywhere Jesus said to go out into nuetral ground and compel them to come in. I don't see where Jesus said the devil has dominion and for Christians to never pull any out of the fire. I never see where Jesus said upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell will stay intact