1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How fat does a person have to be to be a sinner?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by tinytim, Oct 9, 2005.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Oh, give me a break. If a man comes in to your church dressed in pink, lisping and acting effeminately, you're going to say that you're not going to make a judgment about him based on his outward appearances?

We all make judgments based on outward appearances. As far as I know, there isn't a person on the face of the earth that can see into another person's heart, so the outward appearance is part of what we have to go on. If you and I were to meet in person, I would form an impression of you based on outward appearance, as you would me. That impression may or may not be right, but the mature Christian will know better than to make a judgment based solely on outward appearance. Let's not pretend that any of us are above judging based on outward appearance.

My wife has lost a lot of weight over the last couple of years, and has commented more than once that since she lost her weight, she has regained her intelligence. :D

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

First, everyone's a sinner, whether they're a glutton or not [​IMG]

If you're 0 lbs overweight, and engage in gluttony, you're guilty of the sin of gluttony.

If you're 100lbs overweight, and don't engage in gluttony, you're not guilty of the sin of gluttony.

Carrying extra weight is sometimes, but not always, a byproduct of overeating, or improper eating. However, it can also be a byproduct of not having enough excercise (note, that doesn't mean sloth), or it could simply be a byproduct of numerous medical conditions, often minor ones.

My wife is about 30lbs overweight, and she eats healthy and excercises regularly. Her weight is a combination of a serious injury in her youth, and parents who had no knowlege of proper nutrition. She's been slowly losing weight (1lb every 2-3 weeks). It would be ridiculous and unrighteous for someone to make a judgement based on her physical appearance. Besides, my wife is absolutely beautiful. IF she weren't I wouldn't have married her [​IMG]

I agree with TexasSky, who says this whole thing screams of "speck vs mote".

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I admit that I would. It would probably be an unrighteous judgement, however.

That's true. And many, if not the majority, of those are unrighteous judgements.

4. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

Ummm.... Fatter than me! Anyone fatter than me is a glutton and anyone skinnier than me is either anorexic or bulimic.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

BWAAA HAAA HAAA!!!!!!

6. patrick

patrick New Member

Oh, give me a break. If a man comes in to your church dressed in pink, lisping and acting effeminately, you're going to say that you're not going to make a judgment about him based on his outward appearances?

We all make judgments based on outward appearances. As far as I know, there isn't a person on the face of the earth that can see into another person's heart, so the outward appearance is part of what we have to go on. If you and I were to meet in person, I would form an impression of you based on outward appearance, as you would me. That impression may or may not be right, but the mature Christian will know better than to make a judgment based solely on outward appearance. Let's not pretend that any of us are above judging based on outward appearance.

My wife has lost a lot of weight over the last couple of years, and has commented more than once that since she lost her weight, she has regained her intelligence. :D
    </font>[/QUOTE]Man,

I have been in ministry for sevaral. Youth to be specific and I have learned not to judge based on appereance. Some of the most Godly kids, I have ever met don't quite line up with many front row Joe's ideas.

I have had goths, punks, and everything in between. Don't tell me we have to form judgements on someone's looks. I know better than that.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What percentage qualify? We can make every excuse in the book for 60+% of the population being overweight.

How many people do you see in the US and other countries who do not have enough to eat who are overweight?

Nobody can gain weight without food. No calories in yields no weight gain.

You would be amazed at the troubles peole have due to overeating.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is a proven fact.

9. hamricba

hamricba New Member

As someone who is obese right now, I find this article extremely helpful. Thanks for posting it, and let's pray for vast repentance among obese Christians.

10. hamricba

hamricba New Member

I don't think that's entirely true. Certain medications or conditions can cause fluid retention. Still, this is very rare and accounts for a very small percentage of the obese in America.

11. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

I think gluttony is a heart issue, not a fat issue. I don't know of any regulations on body size, and over the years the concept of a "fit" body has changed somewhat.

I believe gluttony, like all of the other sins I can think of, is simply over indulging in food while others around you go hungry. This used to be a problem in the early church, with the well-to-do grabbing all of the food and leaving the poorer brothers to go hungry.

12. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

A lot of povery striken people are over weight, not so much because of "over" eating, but because of "bad" eating.

Refried beans make a cheap and filling, but fat, meal.
    Potatoe pancakes make a cheap and filling, but fat, meal.
    Fruits and veggies are expensive.
    Lean ground beef costs more than regular ground beef.
    In my store ground meat is cheaper, per meal, than chicken.

13. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

As to "judging by appearance." I think you should be careful. John the Baptist wasn't exactly making the best-dressed list of his day, and odds are that a bunch of fishermen who spent most of their time fishing or hiking weren't wearing the height of fashion from Rome.

14. Roguelet

Roguelet Guest

Well I see someone took my statement on gluttony and decided to see what others think. I haven't read them all yet this aught to be interesting.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

What percentage qualify? We can make every excuse in the book for 60+% of the population being overweight.

How many people do you see in the US and other countries who do not have enough to eat who are overweight?

Nobody can gain weight without food. No calories in yields no weight gain.

You would be amazed at the troubles peole have due to overeating.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Your statement is not true.
    Diane's husband gained some weight (I don't know how much I don't think she said) and appears over weight, but it was caused by medications.
    Unless your a doctor or you have personal expereince to prove that then it continues to be untrue.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

You are quite right. I read something recently just like that. Bad for you foods are cheaper then good for you foods. Poor people eat what they can afford to have to feed their family everyday. An dmany poor are over weight because of the kinds of foods they've eaten not the amount. Poor people do not eat boneless skuinless chicken breasts, but a lot of hamburger and other cheap foods like hotdogs, rarely fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of breads (anything made with flour, like biscuits and gravy, we once ate this for a week and nothing else) lots of potatoes and fried foods.
    It's just cheaper, measn your family eats everyday.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

Is it is sooooo easy to judge someone elses sin instead of your own. If we spent as much time discovering and judging our own sins we'd be much better off.

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

Even you put calories in, so whats up with that?
    After a little careful research I have found that you statement that only eating excess food causes weight gain to be completely untrue, according to medical science.

=================================================

It's true that we gain weight when we eat more than we can burn off. But this conventional diet wisdom does not always hold true. Weight gain can also be caused by health conditions such as hypothyroidism, food sensitivity, Cushing's syndrome, organ disease, prescription drug use, anxiety, blood sugar imbalance, and essential fatty acid deficiency.

Hypothyroidism

Thyroid hormone deficiency can decrease metabolism of food, causing appetite loss and modest weight gain. Weight gain is from fat accumulation and fluid retention caused by protein deposits in the body.

Symptoms of hypothyroidism can include fatigue, lethargy, swelling of the face or around the eyes, dry, coarse skin, decreased sweating, poor memory, slow speech and hoarse voice, weakness, intolerance to cold and headache.

Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency

Essential fatty acids, such as in flaxseed oil, are good fats that are needed by the body to make hormones and maintain the body's metabolic rate. A deficiency may cause cravings, particularly for fatty foods.

The first signs of deficiency are often dandruff, dry hair and dry, scaly skin. Deficiency is also associated with arthritis, eczema, heart disease, diabetes and premenstrual syndrome.

Food Sensitivity

Reactions to foods are not always immediate. They can occur many hours later as bloating and swelling in the hands, feet, ankles, abdomen, chin and around the eyes. Much of the weight gained is fluid retention caused by inflammation and the release of certain hormones. In addition, there is fermentation of foods, particularly carbohydrates, in the intestines which can result in a swollen distended belly and gas production.

Symptoms of food sensitivity can include headache, indigestion or heartburn, fatigue, depression, joint pain or arthritis, canker sores, chronic respiratory symptoms such as wheezing, sinus congestion or bronchitis and chronic bowel problems such as diarrhea or constipation.

Cushing's Syndrome

Cushing's Syndrome is a disorder caused by an excess of the hormone cortisol. Fat accumulates in the face, abdomen and upper back, often producing a characteristic rounded "moon" face and "buffalo hump". The arms and legs usually remain slender.

Other symptoms of Cushing's Syndrome include muscle wasting and weakness, thin skin, poor wound healing, easy bruising, purple "stretch marks" on the abdomen, menstrual irregularities, high blood pressure, glucose intolerance and hair loss in women.

Prescription Drugs

Hormone replacement therapy and oral contraceptives containing estrogen can cause fluid retention and increased appetite. Other drugs that can cause weight gain are steroids, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), antidepressants and diabetic medications.

Kidney, Heart or Liver Disease

Disease in these organs can cause fluid retention, which appears as general puffiness all over the body, especially the eyes and ankles.

Emotional Eating

Many people respond to stress or depression by eating excessively. Sources of stress may not always be apparent, but may still affect eating habits and cause weight gain.

Blood Sugar Imbalance

Eating simple, refined carbohydrates can cause rapid fluctuations in blood sugar levels. For example, eating chocolate increases the amount of sugar in the blood. The hormone insulin is released which causes sugar to be stored away and blood sugar levels to be lowered, which can trigger cravings for more sweets in order to stabilize blood sugar balance.

Conclusion

Weight gain can also be caused by organ enlargement, such as from an ovarian cyst, and obstruction of lymph fluid.

The above conditions must be diagnosed by a qualified health care practitioner, especially since serious disease may not always be accompanied by overt symptoms.

References

1. Bouchier IAD, Ellis H, Fleming PR, eds. French's Index of Differential Diagnosis. 13th edition. Woburn, MA. Butterworth Heinemann, 1996.
    2. OttC. Surprising obstacles to weight loss. Natural Health. October 1999.
    3. Seller RH. Differential Diagnosis of Common Complaints. 4th edition. Philadelphia, PA. W.B. Saunders Company, 2000.

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/treatments/a/WeightGain.htm

Some cancer medications cause weight gain= http://www.oncologychannel.com/chemotherapy/
    http://www.us.novartisoncology.com/info/treatments/managing.jsp?checked=y

medications for treating migraines can cause weight gain= http://my.webmd.com/content/pages/19/103410

antipsychotic medications =
    http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=About_Medications&Template=/TaggedPage/TaggedPageDisplay.cfm&TPLID=51&ContentID=20703

medications for endometriosis=
    http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/HealthGate/19388.html

medications that cause weight gain=
    http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/causes/weight_gain.htm

thyroid=
    http://www.thyroid.ca/Articles/weight.html
    http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/thyroid/HypothyroidismHP.html

cancer and liver disease=
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0846/is_9_21/ai_84599063

menopause=
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0846/is_9_21/ai_84599063

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/16/263.cfm

http://bbsnews.net/bw2003-08-31b.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/12/041206210355.htm

The causes of weight gain

There are many reasons why you may gain weight and the cause may not be one factor but a combination of a number of different ones.

Dieting

Yes, one of the main causes of weight gain is dieting. Dieting makes you fat. As you reduce your food intake to lose weight, your body put itself on 'famine alert'. It gets the impression that food is scarce and therefore it slows down your metabolism to get the best use of the small amount of food it is receiving.

When you say you want to lose weight, what you actually want to lose is fat. If you lose weight rapidly, almost 25 percent of that weight loss can be made up of water, muscle and other lean tissue.

The reason for this is that your body is actually programmed to hold on to fat. So in times of what your body considers to be a 'famine', it will actually go as far as breaking down muscle and losing water in order to hold on to its fat reserves. Faddy diets suggest that you can lose up to 10 pounds in a week, but remember this: it is physically impossible to lose more than 900g (2lb) of body fat in a week.

Furthermore, if you lose weight quickly by restricting your intake and then go back to eating normally, a much higher percentage of the food you eat is laid down as fat. Why? Because your body wants to build up extra fat stores, in case this type of famine occurs again. There's also the question of metabolism. When you crash diet, your metabolism slows down to conserve energy and make the most out of the small amounts you are eating. What happens when you go back to eating normally? Well, everything you eat is being dealt with at a much slower rate and more fat is stored.

Too much food and not enough exercise

This is the obvious reason, because if you eat more than you burn off then you are going to gain weight. The idea has been that if the number of calories going into your body is less than the calories being used up by bodily activity and exercise, then you will lose weight. Nowadays, we know that the type of calories is also an important factor in this equation. In other words, you need to consider what type of calories you are eating - whether they come in the form of fat, carbohydrates or protein.

The type of food you eat

Researchers have found that fat and thin people can eat roughly the same number of calories, but it seems that the type of food they are eating is different.

There is a very popular theory that goes something like: too much fat makes you fat. This may be right in principle (large amounts of saturated fat in the diet are not healthy), but it's important to remember that some fats are absolutely essential, hence their name: essential fatty acids.

The result of this theory is that women go on low-fat and no-fat diets, which are dangerous. Furthermore, no-fat and low-fat food tends to be high in sugar and salt, which is required to make it palatable. This is the type of thing that makes you fat. In fact, it's sugar and other foods that are 'fast-releasing' that will encourage weight gain, and here's why:

The speed with which a food increases blood sugar (in other words, whether it is 'fast-releasing' or 'slow-releasing') determines whether or not it will cause you to gain weight. If your blood sugar levels rise very quickly your body has to secrete more insulin in order to control it.

Every time you eat, your body has a choice: it can either burn that food as energy or store it as fat. Researchers have found that high insulin levels cause you not only to change your food into fat, but they also prevent your body from breaking down previously stored fat.

These fast-releasing foods include anything that contains sugar and refined flour, such as cakes, biscuits, pastries, and other 'treats'.

If you crave sweet or starchy foods, feel tired during the afternoon, light-headed, dizzy or shaky if you miss a meal or wake up feeling tired after a full night's sleep, then your blood sugar levels are probably fluctuating too much.

Underactive thyroid

An underactive thyroid can be at the root of gradual weight gain, and it should be checked by your doctor.

Nutritional deficiencies

Food can be converted into fat or energy. You can either store what you eat, which means you will probably put on weight, or you can use it for energy. Whether food is burned or stored is determined by a number of chemical reactions that take place in your body. These are activated by enzymes, which are, in turn, dependent upon vitamins and minerals. Therefore, if you are deficient by even a small amount in certain vitamins and minerals, you will gain weight. Fortunately there are now some very good tests that can check for these deficiencies. Click Tests to see which tests are available to you.

Prescription drugs

Weight gain is often linked to certain medication, such as HRT, the contraceptive pill and steroids. Some antidepressants can also cause increased appetite and weight gain. If you have to take medication, discuss your weight problem with your doctor and ask if there are alternative drugs you could take. Never stop taking any drug without the advice and supervision of your doctor.

Food allergies

Could a food allergy be making it difficult for you to lose weight? A good clue would be whether you crave a particular food that you eat frequently. Once a food allergy exists the food becomes mildly addictive and you can feel compelled to eat it. If you are allergic to a food, your body can react by storing it away instead of using it for energy. If you eat a lot of foods to which you are allergic, there will undoubtedly be weight gain.

There are two types of allergic reactions.

Type A (classic allergy). In this type of allergy, you will experience a reaction immediately after contact with an allergen (such as shellfish or peanuts, for example).
    Type B (delayed allergy or intolerance). Here the reaction can take place between one hour or three days after ingesting the food. Symptoms such as weight gain, bloating, water retention, fatigue, aching joints and headaches can all be due to a Type B allergy.
    It is now possible to have a blood test that analyses the effects of 217 different foods and food additives. This test measures the release of certain chemicals that are responsible for the symptoms of food intolerance. Once you find out what foods are causing problems, they can be avoided for a short period of time. Unlike the foods implicated in Type A allergies, you do not have to avoid these foods indefinitely. Giving your body a rest from them, and then ensuring that they don't make up too large a percentage of your diet will probably do the trick. If you would like to know more about this test click Allergy Test

Yeast overgrowth

Do you suffer from any of these symptoms?

sugar cravings
    cravings for foods such as wine, bread, cheese
    migraines or headaches
    chronic thrush
    inability to lose weight
    tired all the time
    often feel spaced out
    feel drunk on a small amount of alcohol
    feel bloated and have flatulence
    If these symptoms seem familiar, then you may have a yeast overgrowth such as candida albicans.

We all have the yeast' candida' in our gut, but is usually controlled by other bacteria. When the immune system is compromised (because of illness, for example, or a poor diet), the proportion of 'healthy' bacteria can be altered, causing candida to grow out of control

This overgrowth can be also be caused by overuse of antibiotics, the contraceptive pill, HRT, steroids and stress. If you would like to know more about this test click Stool Test
    (If you are experiencing chronic thrush, then you should always see your doctor as this can be a symptom of diabetes and needs to be ruled out.)

http://www.marilynglenville.com/dieting.htm

Prescription Medication

Weight gain is a side effect of many drugs, including steroids, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, diabetic medications, and antidepressants. Oral contraceptives and hormone replacements containing estrogen may increase your appetite and cause fluid retention.

Hypothyroidism

A deficiency in thyroid hormones can slow your metabolism, causing modest weight gain even though you may experience a loss of appetite.

Blood Sugar Imbalance

There may be any of several causes for imbalanced blood sugar, but at least one cause is under your direct control. Eating refined carbohydrates causes a rapid rise in blood sugar levels. The body responds to this by releasing a large amount of the hormone insulin, which causes excess blood sugar to be stored as fat, thereby lowering blood sugar. The lowered blood sugar can trigger cravings for more sweet or starchy foods, causing the cycle to repeat itself.

Fatty Acid Deficiency

Essential fatty acids are needed by the body in order to maintain metabolic levels and to make hormones. A deficiency of essential fatty acids can cause a craving for foods containing them, which tend to be fatty foods. Symptoms of an essential fatty acid deficiency include dry hair, often accompanied by dandruff, and scaly dry skin. Prolonged deficiency can lead to the development of premenstrual syndrome, eczema, heart disease, arthritis, and diabetes.

Cushing's Syndrome

Cushing's syndrome is characterized by an excess of the hormone cortisol. In addition to other symptoms, Cushing's syndrome may cause an accumulation of fat in the face and upper back, producing a 'moon face', 'buffalo hump', and rounded abdomen, although the arms and legs may remain thin.

Heart, Liver, or Kidney Disease

These organs regulate the fluid balance in the body, so one symptom of disease can be fluid retention, often causing a puffy appearance around the ankles and eyes. In addition, a block in the lymphatic vessel of any organ can cause fluid retention, as can cysts (e.g., ovarian cysts).

Stress

Stress may cause emotional eating, which can cause direct weight gain. However, stress is also accompanied by a hormone cascade that can cause you to more readily store excess sugar as fat.

Food Sensitivity

Reactions to food result in inflammation. This swelling of the tissues and accompanying fluid buildup may not be appear immediately after eating the foods and may not disappear quickly either. Inflammation releases hormones that can make it more difficult to lose weight. The appearance of weight gain is also possible, since food sensitivity may cause fermentation of carbohydrates, producing intestinal gas and swelling the abdomen.

http://altmedicine.allinfo-about.com/features/weightgain.html

Seems you have judged people unfairly, untruthfully, you owe an apology for misrepresenting the truth. For letting your personal prejudices cause these judgements.

The long and short of it, you don't know what you talking about. But apparently can't stop yourself.

19. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Most people are fat because they eat too much of the wrong kind of food.

It IS that simple.

20. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I have laid low on this topic watching people's responses. I appreciate donnA's research on the topic and I hope everyone reads it.

I have suffered from probably half the things on that extensive list just in the couple of last years which caused me to gain right under one hundred pounds. I was diagnosed when I was 13 with a kidney disease. Right off the bat I was put on prednisone. Weight gain was maybe ten pounds. Not a big deal but I was already self conscious.

Almost ten years later in 2003 my kidney's fail. I go on dialysis for 8 months and lose weight. I have a transplant and immediately am placed on 3 medications that cause weight gain and diabetes. I gain almost 60 pounds in three months. Then if that is not enough I have Cushing's Syndrome followed by Hypothyroidism. They remove my thyroid and chase my weight right up the scale with the Synthroid. My top weight was 296. I am now down to 249 with the help of my doctors.

Do you know how embarrasing it is to be a pastor's wife...being very much on the forefront of a ministry...and to be FAT? Some people can be so crude in their accusations that just because you are fat you ate yourself that way. I have cried so many nights because of the way people are.

Well this is my statement! Not everyone is fat because they eat a lot. There are many people who struggle with their weight their entire lives and get no compassion and no support from fellow Christians.

Again...thank you donnA for posting the lengthy and resourceful message!