1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How has your theology changed?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by RLBosley, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I should have added, "but I am not "there" yet".:smilewinkgrin:

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My belief that Calvinism is incorrect has been bolstered over the years, especially after joining BB. Same thing with KJVO.

I'm not so hard core with pre-mill as I was previously, though I still believe it. It's just not that important.

Still lean towards dispensationalism because it makes sense to me. Not rabid pro-Israel, but am sympathetic.

Have left the literal 6 day, 24 hours creation week, but haven't decided where that puts me except to say that it's not with theistic evolution.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Over the years, I have altered several of my views.

The first teaching I ever heard on eschatology was pre-trib. Now I am historic Pre-mil (post-trib). Tomorrow? No telling.

In my early adult years, I had heard of pre-destination, but any teaching I had about it was to criticize it. I now am a full-fledged DoG. But I don't fall out with anybody who's not.

My views about the nature of the church have modified over the years. I no longer embrace the idea of a Universal Church, and hold to a local-church-only view. But I stop well short of going Landmark all the way.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many,if not most Arminians believe in OSAS. That doesn't make them one-fifth Calvinists though.

5. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Over ten years ago, I tended to be Wesleyan. Arminian. About ten years ago, I moved closer to being a classic Arminian partially due to being here on BB. Since then, I studied eternal security beliefs both on BB and at my SBC church. Soon I realized that the difference between the main eternal security belief and classic Arminianism is a matter of definitions, terminology, and a play on words.

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If You're Sanctified....

...then you are in a state of constant flux and open to growth.

I am not the same person [theologically] I was when Jesus came into my heart on Christmas Eve, 1966. I am not the same person that I was when I graduated from Azusa Pacific University in 1973 and thought I'd be setting the world on fire for Jesus. :smilewinkgrin:

I know that while I am at times, disappointed at my failure to accomplish what I believed I'd accomplish; I have a sneaky suspicion that the Father is just fine with my progress and contributions! :thumbs:

In fact, if I were to be candid and honest regarding this thread, I'd have to say:

I may not be where I planned to be by this time in my life, but thank God [and by His grace] I'm not where I was when I started out. This leaves me thoroughly grateful to Him for having me on track for the last step in my "ifications" [justification, sanctification and] of Christian life! Glorification [or as some would say, our earthly graduation from On-the-Job-Training here on earth to heaven to complete the final preparation to become - with the church as a whole - the bride of Christ! :praying:

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am still a Dispy, but more progressive, can see all tribs as being in the bible!
    Moved from Evangelical Arminian, to 4 pointer, now 5 point calvinist regarding salvation!

8. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

I was raised in a local church-only, KJV-only, dispensational, pre-trib, pre-millenial denomination. My theology has grown to see the Church/Body of Christ & the fulfillment of all prophecy except the Second Coming & recreation of the universe. My growing understanding of the New Covenant has been foundational to changing my theology.

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One Last Thought!

I remain a pan-millenialist after all these years.

Regardless of the theology, I've been exposed to regarding millennialism, being a "pan- millenialist" makes complete sense because like I have come to believe, "everything will "PAN-out" in the end! :wavey:

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Yes, IMO, it is an accurate statement. Reminds me of a favorite pair of verses from the Bible. One from the OT, the other from the NT.

Proverbs 2: KJB
    3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
    4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
    5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.
    6 For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

2 Timothy 2: KJB
    15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.​

One of the biggest and maybe the hardest changes, for myself, has been this:

After being challenged by my pastor, realized that I was a "theistic evolutionist". That is no longer the case. Accepted the challenge with the mindset that God DID use evolution. Determined to return the challenge right back to him. Yet, prayed for guidance that I would learn the TRUTH, regardless of where that took me.

Background note: Since I was a kid, have had a life-long interest & study in several 'ologies' that come into play. Archeology, geology, biology, and paleontology, in particular. So, somewhat versed in these fields. (Far from being an expert in any of them, BTW.)

Weeks into an indepth study, was still standing firm in my viewpoint, until I encountered (was led to) one paragraph changed that. A 180 degree turn in what I thought I believed.

It was simply that the theory of evolution cannot explain oil & gas deposits. Based on background knowledge, knew that was the TRUTH I'd been seeking. Thousands, perhaps, millions of years of slow processes cannot achieve what an earth covering flood can do in weeks and months.

God did what He did, in the time frames stated in the Bible. God didn't use "theories" proclaimed by evolutionists to explain the how of God's creation over untold lengths of time. He created it and all it contained in 6 days. He almost destroyed it in 40 days. He reshaped it, as a potter molds moist clay, while the waters were receeding.

Proverbs 2:3-6 & 2 Tim 2:15

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you see the "holiness" arminians groups like methodists/Wesleyan churches teaching more of a can lose/forfeit salvation based upon "free will" rejection?

Are Nararenes also same in their views to this?

#31 Yeshua1, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013