1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How human was Jesus/how much like Jesus are we

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Correct.
    Correct.
    Correct.
    Incorrect. We know from scripture that Jacob and Esau had done no evil in their mother's womb. Babies die in their mother's womb all the time, so you do not have to sin to physically die. You do have to sin to spiritually die.
    False. All persons will physically die, even babies who died before they could sin.

Because of the curse. The curse said man would return to the dust from which he came, and God removed man from the garden and access to the tree of life.
    I don't fall back on anything, animals die because all of creation was cursed. Even non living things wear out and fade away. This is the curse. Animals and non living things do not sin.

I believe Jesus implied he could sin in John 8:55;

Jhn 8:55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.

Jesus said IF he denied he knew his Father, he would be a liar. The word IF denotes possibility. In addition, it does not make sense that the Holy Spirit would drive Jesus into the wilderness to be tempted if he could not sin. What would be the point?
    Not completely, but close.
    Being born of a virgin was a SIGN. That tells us Jesus was God's son. If Jesus was born to a non-virgin, no one would believe he is God's son.

Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

I don't believe Jesus was imputed a sinner, he was made sin for us. He never became a sinner.

This does not mean Jesus became a sinner, he became a substitute for us. He took the place of sin which deserved to die, but he had no sin and did not deserve to die. So, we disagree here.

Correct.

Yes, but God cannot die and Jesus died. God cannot be tempted and Jesus was tempted. God does not get tired or hungry, Jesus got both tired and hungry. Yet Jesus IS God.

So, I do not believe Jesus's humanity denies that he is God.

When you can't debate with facts, the easiest thing is to try to discredit your opponent.

It simply says death has passed on all men because all men have sinned. It doesn't say all men sinned with Adam in the garden.

And Romans 9:11 refutes that Jacob and Esau sinned with Adam in the garden, Paul said they had done no evil.

This is not rocket science, if Jacob and Esau sinned with Adam as you and Iconoclast claim, then Romans 9:11 is a lie.

#101 Winman, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman - Romans 9 is not about the difference between inherited or imputed sin but it is about the purpose of God and his election which has to do with His decisions independent from the works of the individual.

On the other hand Romans 5:12 is all about why we sin - because of Adam's sin.

You can't have it both ways, the wages of sin is death. Babies die.

Apparently sin and death mutated his spiritual gnome and he passed it on to all of us which is why we all die, it's in our genes no exception "all sinned".

Actually in the Greek its only two words "all sinned" - aorist tense -completed action in time past.

It was a done deal then and now because we are the children of Adam.

I would rather say that we are the victims of Adam's sin in the garden rather than we sinned with Adam in the garden.

Take this example

Hebrews 7
    9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.
    10 For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.​

In this sense we sinned because we were in the loins of Adam when he sinned.

Jesus never sinned neither could He (in my opinion) because His conception did not require a human father (another way He is/was different from us).

IMO, your statement that He had to be born of a virgin to prove He is the Son of God holds no water. They still didn't believe. In effect He told them that He was God Himself in John 8:58 and they tried to kill Him.

As to imputed sin, He bore our sins in His body.
    I never said Jesus was made a sinner but our sins were imputed to Him (or laid upon Him).

Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

1 Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.​

Jesus mortal body (the flesh - sarx) died - He (the Logos) did not die being eternal God but He commended His spirit to God the Father and returned to the Father.​

In the same way when we die our spirit goes consciously to God awaiting the resurrection.​

His spirit returned to His body upon His resurrection.​

But He also took part in His own resurrection:​

John 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

Scripture shows that the three persons of the Trinity took part in His resurrection.

Jesus humanity does not deny that He is God but many believe that to say that He could sin does deny His deity.

This subject leads down the proverbial rabbit-hole of questions.

HankD​

3. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

4. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

"Sometimes it is hard to relate to Jesus when dealing with our relationship with sin because He is God."

He already dealt with sin. He paid for all sin, once. Sin is not an issue. Reckon yourself dead to sin. Born again into Jesus' life.

Romans says there is now NO MORE CONDEMNATION because we are in Christ.

Hebrews says we are now NO LONGER SIN CONSCIENCE.

The Holy Ghost is leading us in paths of righteousness, not the pathway of the 10.The Bride will marry Jesus, not Moses.

Luke says the Law and Prophets were until John, NOW the Kingdom is preached. Seek the Kingdom and His righteousness.

The Law is not made for the righteous. God looks at us as righteous. When God looks at us, He sees Jesus. We abide in Him.
    You will find that when Jesus was tested, He walked by the Spirit. It had just descended on Him.

Galatians says we walk by the Spirit to avoid sin, not by following the law.

Revelation says "they overcame by the blood of the Lamb, their testimonies, and they did not love their lives unto death." No law mentioned.

The Spirit is always about love. When we follow love, we never break a command.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe all that can be said has been said.

Yes Inspector, everyone dies because of Adam.

It was passed on to all of us by one man...

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Both words, "passed" and "sinned" are in a past tense form (aorist) Not future and it happened to "all men".

It does not say that "all will sin" but that "all sinned".
    That we do it willingly in the time continuum does not erase this scripture but fulfills it.

HankD

#105 HankD, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  6. Winman

Winman Active Member

It also does not say all sinned in Adam, so it is presumptuous for you to interpret it to say that.

You still must deal with the fact that this same Paul who you insist taught that all men sinned with Adam in the garden contradicts himself and says that Jacob and Esau had done no evil in their mother's womb.

You can't have it both ways, either Jacob and Esau sinned with Adam in the garden or they did not.

Iconoclast also argues that Romans 3:23 uses this aorist form of "sinned" that you are so fond of, yet Paul does not mention Adam in this chapter whatsoever.

Paul also says men without law perish without law in chapter 2. Why? Does he say they die because of Adam? NOPE. He says they die because they have broken the law written on their hearts.

That itself is a contradiction of your view. In your view, no man is without law, as all men were present in the garden with Adam and were held to his single law.

So, your view makes a mess of Romans, contradictions abound everywhere if your view is correct.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Just another point, who talks this way? Who ever when making a point speaks of the future?

Paul's point here is to prove that all men are sinners. He is not trying to prove all men are born sinners, or else he could have easily said that. No?

No, his point is that death proves all men have sinned. Every man has died, and this proves they have sinned. He is not speaking of men who have not been born yet, there is no need, it is not necessary to prove his point.

And by the way, Romans 5 is speaking of spiritual death, not physical. Look at the terms used, they are all legal terms like "condemnation", "justification", "sin", "righteousness"...

Now, if you go to 1st Corinthians chapter 15 you see the opposite, here Paul is speaking of physical death. Here he speaks of being "raised up", he speaks of different kinds of "flesh", he speaks of different kinds of "bodies"... So here Paul is speaking of physical death, not spiritual, but in Romans 5 he is speaking only of spiritual death, being condemned to death for sin, of being justified unto life through Christ. These are legal terms, not physical.

Paul also contradicts your view in Romans 7. Here he clearly says he was spiritually alive until the law came. When the law came, sin revived and he "died". He could not possibly be saying he physically died here, so he MUST be saying he spiritually died. This also proves he did not spiritually die with Adam in the garden.

Rom 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
    8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
    9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
    10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
    11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

Paul is clearly speaking of when he learned the law as a young Jewish man in verse 7, he says he would not have known sin, except for the law, he would have not known what lust was, except the law said, Thou shalt not covet.

So, this is what Paul means when he says "the commandment came", he is speaking of learning the law as all young Jewish men do.

But note that Paul says he was ALIVE without the law once. This must be speaking of being spiritually alive, because Paul could not possibly be saying he physically died. Therefore this also refutes your view that death passed on Paul when Adam sinned.

So, Romans 7:9-11 also clearly refutes your interpretation of Romans 3:23 and Romans 5:12.

Altogether this shows overwhelming evidence against your interpretation of Romans 5:12. You have to intentionally overlook this evidence to hold to your view.

#107 Winman, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I repeat Paul is talking about two different subjects and uses different words for Jacob and Esau doing "good" or "evil"

KJV Romans 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth

Imputed sin (received from Adam) is different than actual sin ("good" or "evil" done after birth).

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

It's not presumptuous, The Koine verbs are all in agreement with the primary clause. It is one statement.

Sin entered the world - aorist
    death passed on all - aorist
    all sinned - aorist

According to Romans 5:12 it happened all at once in a moment of time in the garden.

This will go on and on Winman because we both have totally conviction of what we believe.
    For every reason you give there is an answer and vice versa.

My conviction is based upon Romans 5:12 - 21.

You ask who talks this way?
    The Spirit of God.

HankD

#108 HankD, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  9. Winman

Winman Active Member

What? Do you just make this stuff up? Romans 9:11 says Jacob and Esau had done no evil when they were in Rebecca's womb, therefore they could not have sinned with Adam in the garden.

Whoa, you are changing your story now, you and Iconoclast have said that all men actually "sinned" with Adam before, now you are saying they did not sin but that sin was simply imputed them. You have completely changed your story.

That is not imputed sin, that is actual sin.

Nevertheless, it's a bogus argument, if Paul were speaking of personal sin that a person committed in their life (not with Adam), he would still say "for that all have sinned". You wouldn't say it any differently, so it proves nothing.

Yes, your conviction is based solely on Romans 5:12, but you completely ignore Romans 2:12-15, Romans 9:11, and Romans 7:9-11 which all refutes your view. That is not the proper way to interpret scripture.

Romans 2 teaches that men without law perish without law because they are a law unto themselves. But if Original Sin is true, then there is no such thing as any man without law, all men were in the garden with Adam and subject to his law not to eat the forbidden fruit. So, this passage contradicts and refutes your view.

Romans 9:11 says Jacob and Esau had done no evil in their mother's womb, but this contradicts and refutes your view that they sinned with Adam.

Romans 7:9-11 says Paul was alive until he learned the law, and then he spiritually died, but you believe Paul died with Adam when he ate the forbidden fruit.

You can't simply ignore scripture to hold to a view you like.

#109 Winman, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  10. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’d put it that we’ve all inherited a nature through Adam that is in sin (missing the mark of perfection, IOWs no longer having the original nature man was created with that was made to be very good, - and no less than that is acceptable to God and there is none that is more than the nature that was given them through Adam so in that sense all are in sin, fall short of perfection, period.) so we inherited a nature that will sin, fall short of the very good nature that God created man to have in the beginning due to all men “gaining” the (sinful) nature of knowing good and evil.

God doesn’t/didn’t place us in the situation to die, Adam did, God knew he would and provided for the way of life for all His creatures. Where Determinists go wrong is that they figure the elect are the ones God pre-chose (specially created) beforehand to repent of the actions of Adam. If true, then they would logically have God creating the rest to remain evil, but God NEVER created anything to be evil. God created all men with true hope knowing they would inherit the nature of Adam. That was God’s loving plan and that plan was “very good”.

Where some non-determinists go wrong is to think they are so free within the nature they received in Adam to have the ability to be perfectly good, or acceptable to God – not so, all are below that needed perfect original nature and ARE in sin because of inherited new nature. Only God could live as a man, through Adam, and not sin – and He did it because He is God. Man is not God (Gen 3:22) and cannot do it, not with the nature of Adam which all men have. Essentially, all men made that choice in Adam and all men must now repent of it:

(Gen 3:22) And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and NOW, lest he put forth his hand, and take ALSO of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

We did not lose the nature that God gave man, which included the free will to reason and choose, but we gained a nature that cannot choose perfectly, a nature that will miss the mark of perfection, a nature that is in sin, less that given in creation. To deny that has serious implications…it takes one right back to the fall and resembles where Adam and Eve wanted to be as God. It seems to me to repeat the mistake and to miss the message of the need to die to those desires of having the self-will to be a perfect judge between good and evil and be as God. There is but One God, and only who can do this.

You guys seem to be arguing over ambiguity and semantics as far as I’m concerned…

Personally, as a card carrying LFWer and Non-C I would never resort to making the claim one could go through life and never sin or deny we have a nature that is in sin from birth - in the sense I noted above. I don’t need such to logically defeat the false doctrines of deterministic election and to uphold the truths of God’s Goodness and genuinely available offer of grace to all men from creation on…

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

None of that is the point Benjamin.

The point or question is, are we born "dead in sin"? I do not believe we are, and I believe scripture such as Romans 7:9-11 proves that. Paul clearly tells us that until he learned the law he was "alive", but when the commandment came, sin revived and he "died". This MUST be speaking of spiritual death, Paul could hardly be saying he physically died.

How does this relate to the OP? Jesus was 100% human. He did not come in the "likeness" of flesh, he came in "the same" flesh (Heb 2:14)

Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

The problem with saying we are born with sinful flesh is that you must now deny that Jesus came in "the same" flesh as scripture says. We are warned that this is the spirit of antichrist.

1 Jhn 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
    2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
    3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

I don't believe people intentionally deny that Jesus came in the flesh, but because of the false doctrine of Original Sin they do so. No where do the scriptures ever say man's nature was cursed when Adam sinned. The very first man born after the "fall", Cain, had the ability to do well and would have been accepted if he did so.

People seem to be hung up on the idea that because all men sin, they must have a sin nature, but scripture easily refutes this, Satan and the fallen angels were created perfect, yet they sinned, Adam and Eve were created very good, yet they sinned.

All that is required to sin is a free will and lack of faith in God. This is why all men sin, and why all men spiritually die. They are not born that way.

12. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fully understand where you’re going with this and addressed the very point (the ambiguity and semantics) on the use of “dead to sin” by clarifying the differences in the type of nature, or the change of nature and specifying what our new nature is and is capable of and not capable of.

You’ve merely missed my point where I cut to the chase and went right back into the endless ambiguous and semantics with "dead in sin".

Read my post again and you should see that I related to that Jesus came in the flesh, I specifically said “through Adam” and noted that He did defeat sin, but also note that I said He was/is the only One that do this this because He is God. It is just as wrong to deny 100% deity as it is to deny the 100% man, both must be maintained as truth.

Again, I clearly addressed and defined the nature we are born in and also clarified our abilities. I’m going to ignore the antichrist comment. I don’t have time to cut through and nail down all these semantics. But, I will give you a few examples of the problem with ambiguity and semantics and where you have obviously missed that I did indeed address these issues:

The scriptures clearly indicate that man received a new nature and I addressed the capabilities and incapability’s of that new nature. I'm looking through the ambiguity of the phrases "cursed nature" and “dead in sin” and arguments endlessly about it that neglect defining as I did. You make the claim that my point had nothing to do with it, the Op, but I defined the nature and capabilities we had and have which you “merely” refer to with these ambiguous phrases.

Winman, I fully understand the opposition tries to bootstrap on total inability, etc., with original sin. I agree with you that this is foolishness and would take that further and claim that it denies the true nature that man has. In my post I addressed that we still have free will, the ability to choose, and God’s plan that this is all good and that it was divinely prepared for in my post. I defined the changes in our nature and the “state” of sin we all are in – … I don’t know what else to say except that maybe you should think a little more about what I was getting at and said rather than simply writing it off as not applying.

I’ve watched you arguing about this issue for months and really don’t have time or desire to try to break it all down here, although I think my post should give you a hint of where you guys are simply talking past each other if you read it more closely.

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. Rev 13:9
    but with precious blood, (DEATH) as of a lamb unblemished and unspotted -- Christ's --foreknown, indeed, before the foundation of the world, and manifested in the last times because of you, 1 Peter 1:19,20 YLT

Before the first man, Adam, was created in the image of his creator God it was determined for the Christ, to be manifested, as a sinless lamb, something mortal, something which could be slain, subject to something called death.

For the Christ to be subject to such he had to be manifested in the image of such. Something had to be created subject to DEATH for the manifestation of the Christ, the Son of God, because:

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8

What are the works of the devil. The ability to cause sin that results in DEATH.

Adam the figure of him to come, the Christ, the Son of God was created to bring forth death which could bring forth the destruction of Satan the devil who had the power of death BEFORE Adam was created. Redemption from death was planned for before death came to the man to be created.

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;1 John 3:8 and Heb 2:14

Man was created as the means to destroy something that existed before he was created.

IMHO

14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WINMAN don't you think just by sheer luck at least one man would have not sinned out of all the billions that have lived? I am speaking of one other than Jesus. Just one?

Satan tempts and deceives and man sins. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

Satan, that old serpent the devil was in the garden when God pput the man in the garden he, God had planted eastward in Eden.

If there be fifty righteous.

I do not believe God would have destroyed even if there had been one.

Lot who had the imputation of the righteousness of God was taken out and you know how that turned out. He showed his righteousness.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Not at all. What amazes me is that Jesus could live 33 years as a man and never sin. This is incredible. That all men choose to sin is not incredible at all. Adam and Eve were placed in a perfect world and sinned the very first time they were tempted, we are born in a world with many thousands of constant temptations. Adam and Eve had it easy compared to us.

Not just Satan, our very flesh tempts us as Jesus flesh tempted him. Jesus was very hungry in the wilderness, that is why Satan tempted him to turn stones into bread.

Ok, not really sure what point you are trying to make here.

You are wrong, Lot was righteous, we are directly told that in scripture (2 Pet 2:7-8)

Nevertheless, the scriptures say Lot was just and righteous.

2 Pet 2:7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
    8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds; )

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Today is my day off so I wanted to get back into the fray, probably for the last time this time around,(unless provoked).

RE: Romans 2
    So, yes there was law, Paul is distinguishing between the law "written upon the heart" and the mosaic law. There was the law of the conscience and the spoken or verbal word of God. Take Cain for instance who said "my punishment is more that I can bear".

He understood that murder is/was wrong.
    Also before the law of the pre-deluvian peoples God says:

Genesis 5
    3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
    5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
    6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.​

Also before the law of Moses :

KJV Genesis 26:5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

So before the mosaic codification (of which Paul speaks in Romans 2) of the Law there was law concerning bloodshed, marriage, tithing, etc...

"done no evil" again this is practical sin or sin manifested in deeds.
    The important word is "done" which literally means "practised neither good or evil".

Practised sin is different that imputed sin.
    Imputed sin is the possession of the means and ability to do practical sin.

Practiced sin is actual sin - evil deeds done in the body.
    The baby rattle snake has the means and the ability to actually kill but perhaps has yet to do so. It is his nature to do so.

In mankind sin is both universal and unlearned.

No one has to teach their chidren to lie, steal, hit, disobey, etc... It comes naturally.

Jacob and Esau later in life both proved they had this means and ability to commit evil.

But God's choice goes beyond future deeds of the babe in the womb - Take David for instance.

As for Paul being "alive", but alive to what - this no doubt has to do with expectations. Which expectations (in verse 11) Paul says were a deception.

Until conviction of sin comes we are not completely aware of its consequence and how "great a death" He delivered us from.

I had a similar experience in my own life. As a child (even into my early teens), though I had manifested some evil, my expectation was that I wasn't bad enough to go to hell. That all changed when I was in the service and began reading the bible after which (reading the Law of Moses) I lost all hope until Christ saved me.

HankD

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

I completely disagree with you here and believe you are redefining what the word "imputed" means. The word imputed means to be "reckoned to" or "placed on one's account". It does not mean a change in one's constitution or being given the ability to sin as you have redefined it here.

From Easton's Bible Dictionary

As you see, Easton's Bible Dictionary does not define the word "imputation" as you have described it at all.

Paul said sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

What Paul is saying here is that unless there is a law, men cannot be held accountable for breaking the law. It is similar to when people were using LSD in the 60's, there were no laws against it's use, so the law was helpless to prevent it's use. Laws had to be passed against the manufacture, sale, and use of LSD to curb it's abuse.

In Romans 5:13-14, Paul says men from Adam to Moses DID NOT sin after the likeness or similitude of Adam. In fact it was IMPOSSIBLE for them to do so, as God had chased man out of the garden and put an angel to guard it. Men could not possibly eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil even if they wanted to.

So why did men from Adam to Moses spiritually die? Because they broke the laws written on their heart and conscience that Paul describes in Romans chapter 2.

It is clear that Paul is NOT teaching Original Sin, else why would he stop at Moses? Wouldn't Original Sin extend to every man ever born?

Isn't that so?

So, it is impossible Paul is teaching Original Sin in Romans 5:13-14 as many falsely teach. Adam's sin was not imputed to these persons, they DID NOT sin after the likeness of Adam, and it is proved that Original Sin is not being spoken of because Paul only spoke of men from Adam to Moses who did not have express commands from God.

But "imputed sin" does not mean the ability to sin was somehow transferred to all of Adam's descendants as you seem to argue.

Once again, no sin nature is needed to sin, Satan was created without a sin nature, yet he was able to sin, the fallen angels were created without a sin nature, yet they were able to sin, and Adam and Eve were created without a sin nature, yet they were able to sin.

Man did not have to go through any sort of change to have the ability to sin, he always had this ability. Yet God called Adam and Eve "very good". The ability to sin does not make you evil, actually committing sin makes you evil.

#117 Winman, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Inherited is a better word than imputed to explain our situation, in that you are correct.

We received this ability and propensity from Adam.

We are a different case from the devil, he and all angels are an entirely different species designed for heaven, he lived in heaven with God - he had no one to tempt him. Perhaps that is why he can't be saved.

Sin entered the world, all died, all sinned. Past tense.

No explanation you have given (imo) answers to the premise of this passage.
    Romans chapter 5 is the primary passage concerning why we sin. It cannot be denied that at very least Adam is connected to the fact that we all sin.

I agree that babies do not have sin imputed to them for the very reason you cite they do not have the capacity (for a while and even after they begin to bear fruit and be "bad") to comprehend law and the consequence of breaking it.

When the Spirit of God brings this home to each of us, then we bear the guilt of our sin as Adam did in the garden.

Have the last word Winman.

HankD

19. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    and of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou dost not eat of it, for in the day of thine eating of it -- dying thou dost die.' Gen 2:17 YLT
    For the wages of sin is death; Romans 6:23 KJV
    But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. James 1:14,15 KJV

Let's say the pre born is fine until the cord wraps around his neck and he is still born. Let's say a child is born yet lives only 30 min.

But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, Gal 3:22 KJV

Were they imputed with sin?

If yes, when and through whom, themselves or another? If no, explain why death.

Another question concerning a scripture.

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: Heb 9:27 KJV

Does that mean that, once it was appointed unto men, to die or that it was appointed unto men to die, once?

Your thoughts on that. Thanks.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

This has been addressed.

Did Paul say he was born dead in sin?

Rom 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
    8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
    9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
    10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
    11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

I've seen folks give all sorts of fantastic explanations for this passage, but it is really very simple and plain. Paul is clearly describing when he learned the law when he was a young man as all young Jewish men do. He also learned what sin is through the law, he says he would have not known what lust is, except the law had said, Thous shalt not covet.

Did Paul say he was born dead in sin? NO. Paul clearly says he was alive without the law once, but when the commandment came, sin revived and he DIED. He thought obeying the law would lead to life, but instead, knowledge of the law led to death, sin taking occasion by the law and slaying him.

There it is, PLAIN AS DAY, Paul shows us people are not born dead in sin. He also shows us when folks spiritually die, when they learn right from wrong and therefore become accountable.

This scripture would be plain and simple for anyone to understand had folks not tried to explain it away because it utterly refutes their false doctrine.

#120 Winman, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.