1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How I Came To Christ

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please note that this discussion is NOT in a debate forum!

How did you you come to Christ -

Were there several factors involved- or just one major influence, such as Tracts, Radio/TV, personal evangelism, friendship, ect.....

#1 Salty, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I started attending church with my parents at about age 5. We went faithfully for years, to SS, MW, ES and Wed PM. For years, I heard the gospel message. Yet, as I grew older I just assumed I was born again. Even at Bible Camp - when asked when I got saved - I said I was - thinking it was true

On a Sunday Evening in 1963, as a pre-teen- Rev Merlin G. Schultz, was preaching and challenged us to be sure of our salvation. I went home that night and for the first time - not sure if I was truly saved. I thought about it all evening. The next Morning, May 6, my father led me to the Lord.

• Like Like x 2
  3. HappyMole

HappyMole New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have so much belief in Christ even when I was younger. I grew and study in a Catholic school and I have known Him better and all His miracles. Now, I'm a much stronger because of Him. I'm proud to say that I'm always into Christ and I have so much faith in him.

4. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I grew up Roman Catholic...more "cultural" Catholic than anything...my mom was Cuban. My dad was Episcopalian but never went to church except Christmas, Easter, weddings and funerals. I went to Catholic schools from 1st to 12th grade and by the time I graduated from high school I was a "s*x, drugs, rock 'n' roll" atheist. There's a lot behind that. I returned to Catholicism when my children were small, I lived in a majority Catholic area, and well, it was all I knew. I walked away from the RCC when my X-husband (who had been physically, mentally, emotionally and otherwise abusive to me and the children) decided to kick us out of the house at the end of a gun. I went to my parish priest who told me to go back and grovel and then maybe if I kept the children quiet and just did whatever he told me to do, he would no longer abuse us. Well...that wasn't going to work, he was also a drug user and alcoholic, and my children had been very damaged by the things they saw and experienced. A friend, who belonged to a local non-denominational church took me to see her pastor, and within 48 hours, I had a place to live, furniture and a fully stocked kitchen. All my Catholic "friends" dropped me like a bad habit. I've not spoken to any of them in 20 years now.

Anyway...I moved back to my hometown and wanted nothing to do with God at all..thing is, God wasn't done looking for me. I met my now husband (who'd had some bad experiences with religion, including an X-wife who was a Jehovah's Witness) and we married after about a year of dating. I guess we both were looking for something...I started attending this non-denominational fellowship that was very "seeker-friendly" and not terribly intimidating to someone like me. One Sunday morning, I heard a voice inside my head that said "stop running". I heard it again, only louder..."stop running". I was so broken at this time, still...and I seriously doubted that God could ever love such a dirty, ugly, nasty sinner like me. I heard a voice again "my child, stop running from me. I made you just as I wanted to make you. You are my beloved unique creation and I love you more than you can ever imagine, stop running from me, I'm big enough to take all your pain, all your sins and make you white as snow and whole again". I about fell apart. I started crying and shaking and was almost hysterical. Well...I bounced around non-denominational churches after that, bought into a lot of liberal baloney, all the "seeker-friendly" churches until not long ago when my soul was almost starving! We saw something on TV for a local baptist church and my husband asked me if I wanted to check it out. We did...it is an IFB church here in Las Vegas Nevada (believe it or not!) and my soul feels satisfied now.

My husband battled many of his own demons, addictions and alcoholism, and was freed of all of them. He went forward at our new IFB church 2 Sundays ago and accepted Christ. We BOTH are going to be baptized at our IFB church on 1/15/17 and I cannot wait!

So...now you know my story. I covet your prayers for my children who are still so lost...my prayer is that the Lord puts someone in their path who will witness to them and love on them so they can truly see the Lord is just so good.

PS. didn't mean to write a novel. The numbers in my screen name are the date I heard from the Lord, April 11, 1999.

• Like Like x 1