1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How important should history be to Baptists?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by SaggyWoman, Nov 3, 2007.

?
  1. Extremely important.

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Very important.

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. Important.

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. Somewhat important.

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  5. Not very important.

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Not important at all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Who cares?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What do you think?

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I assume you talking about Baptist history, rather than history in general.

I can see a kid failing his history test in class and saying, 'That's OK, I'm a Baptist"

#2 Steven2006, Nov 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2007
  3. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I think of that old saying, those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it.
    Knowing baptist history is just one of the many areas that most baptists are not knowledgeable enough in.

4. Jules80

Jules80 New Member

I think knowing our heritage is an important thing

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

As Baptist our history should stand as a testament to the doctrine of Grace from the cross to present day, while honoring all those that contended unto blood not willing to spare their lives but spreading the Word throughout the world.

6. Choctawman

Choctawman New Member

Baptist History

Baptist history and tradition is something that should be preserved and added to as time passes. The time from the first settlers coming to America in the 1700's would be a good starting point for me. So much has shaped Baptist life in this country since that time that you could actually read volumes on that history alone.

I would also recommend that a good background in Christian History in general is necessary to understand the other facets of our faith. I came from a denomination that truly believes they are the ONLY people on earth who will ever be saved. Unless you were baptized in THEIR church, you were just gettin' wet.

I is interesting to see how other denominations have evolved and developed over our American history as well. So, learning about why and how we are where we are today and how we got here is a real adventure and understanding how other churches took the path they did helps define who we are as Baptists.

7. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

This past March I taught on the Baptist Distinctives, woven around their historical significance, on a Sunday night. I can't remember the last time that I heard either of these taught in church. Perhaps that is the reason that Baptist people don't put any importance on either subject -- Baptist church leaders aren't emphasizing them.