1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Large is "Al Qaeda in Iraq"?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Sep 8, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "How big, then, is AQI? The most persuasive estimate I've heard comes from Malcolm Nance, the author of The Terrorists of Iraq and a twenty-year intelligence veteran and Arabic speaker who has worked with military and intelligence units tracking al-Qaeda inside Iraq. He believes AQI includes about 850 full-time fighters, comprising 2 percent to 5 percent of the Sunni insurgency. " - Andrew Tilghman, a correspondent in Iraq for Stars and Stripes in 2005-2006

- www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2007/0710.tilghman.html

#1 KenH, Sep 8, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That settles it.

Tilghman just couldn't be wrong, could he?:smilewinkgrin:

If even close to correct, it causes a real problem for anti-war types that have insisted otherwise.

3. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Tilghman's card-carrying Al Qaeda are the leadership, mostly foreign, and would account for 10% of AQI, according to US commanders. The majority of foot soldiers have been locally recruited misfits, so we could guesstimate 8000 AQI?

They receive an estimated 40-80 new foreign recruits a month according to military historian Frederick Kagan.

There are also the groups Jayesh Mujahideen, Jamat Tawhid al Jihada, and
    Ansar al Sunna, which are often referred to simply as Al Qaeda.

4. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

The war is serving as a training ground for terrorists and also as a major reason for hating the US. Al Qaeda is growing BECAUSE of the war not in spite of it.

5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Actually the reality is Alqaeda is losing support in Iraq. and no one from any other country has any real reason to hate us. What goes on in Iraq is no concern to terrorists in the surrounding countries. The truth is they are butting into something that does not concern them because they want to hate and kill not be cause we are wrong. The same goes for Iran. It is none of their business.

#5 2 Timothy2:1-4, Sep 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2007
  6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can you say that what goes on next door in Iraq is none of the Iranian government's business while at the same time saying that what goes on thousands of miles away is the business of the government of these United States?

7. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Sigh..... I suggest you reread the hsitroy of our actions in Iraq starting with 1991.:BangHead:

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am quite familiar with what happened in that area of the world starting in August 1990. I don't see what that has to do with your answer to my question.

9. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Then you have the answer to your own question.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really. I believe that your position vis-a-vis Iran's and these United States' interests concerning Iraq is inconsistent.

11. 2 Timothy2:1-4

I know you do and that is ok.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs:

However, I do have to admit to some disappointment as I was quite curious as to how you would justify your position.

Oh well.

13. 2 Timothy2:1-4

I have already answered that.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you expound on it? You know how thickheaded I am. I honestly do not understand how you justify your position.

15. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Our going into Iraq was justified and condoned by the rest of the world in 1991. I know you seperate the conflict in 1991 and now but that is your error. We went in to set a people free, enforce UN promises, and eliminate a global threat. Iran and Alqeada wants to put them into bondage and conqure more of the world for their false God Allah.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. I understand your point about these United States. I disagree with it but I understand it.

It still doesn't make any sense to say that what goes on in Iraq should not be of concern to Iran. Your position appears to be inconsistent. If there was a violent civil war going on in Canada or Mexico would you say that it was none of these United States' business what was going on there?