1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Long Will the Next One Last?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Arbo, May 5, 2012.

1. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I predict this thread will be closed by day's end.

2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the world of Dr. Adams and his minions. Leaving a patient to lie in their own excrement would get you arrested in New York. It's called patient neglect regardless of your motivation.

Now flip to your chart of standard responses. That's right. You can't have a copy of it because you will get a burning fever and loss of sleep. Never mind.

3. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought this was a Baptist board. There are sure some STRANGE thinking Baptists on here! :confused:

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You seem to have a propensuity to twist the truth. God calls for confession and forsaking and you call for drugs. Now which one should be believe? :eek:

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    freeatlast, can you show us just one instance in the Bible where we are commanded to threaten those who are ill and not in control of their behavior because you think that they have something to "hide" or can you show us where in the Bible that we are to leave them wallowing in their excrement because they will not get up and "help themselves" or tell us their sinful secrets?

Just one instance will do.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I agree Dr. Bob!

7. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Propensity? Everything I've mentioned here has been taken from the web site you provided and I have not mentioned drugs at all.

Now show me one example in the Bible where a troubled individual is instructed to seek a counselor in order to be reproved and corrected.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is no such thing as being ill in the bible and not able to control ones own behavior so your question is without merit. Also I am not sure what you mean by threaten. Confronting and speaking the truth is not threatening the person.
    As to letting someone wallowing in their excrement yes I can. Read what is called the prodigal son. He was not lifted out of his own filth in fact he was even in the filth of hogs. He had to decide to get up and get out and go to where he could be helped. Unless a person is willing to be helped they are to be left in their own mire and not forced to live otherwise. Confess and forsake not drugs. All drugs do is wash the outside but they do nothing for the inside.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

But you twist what is being said. It is saying that people who refuse to get out of their own mire let them lay in it. The bible teaches the same thing. This is not about someone who is crippled, but someone because of behavior are willing to cut their own nose off to spite their face and Adams is saying let them lay in their mire and he is correct. It is called dusting your feet.

10. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was raised on a farm. I know the difference between dust and excrement. It's as different as "oranges and socks". Now answer my question.

While you're at it show me where counselor is an office in a New Testament church.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I too am familiar with the farm and like hogs some people wallow in their own mire and eat their own vomit by choice and we are not to force them to stop or cover their sin with drugs. I am not sure what you are asking in regards to a counselor.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Some behavior stems from the heart, on that we can agree. A liar is a liar because he's not right with God.

But some behavior is directly related to the brain. This is easily seen in Alzheimer patients. If behavior is in no way related to the brain why do drugs help to improve the patient's behavior?

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The drugs don't improve behavior. They suppress it. Our behavior is determind by our heart and carried out by the brain Mat 15:19 The brain can be stopped with drugs from doing the deed, but the heart remains the same.Drugs deal wiht the brain, confession and forsaking deals with the heart. Let me ask you a question sister. I will use two different people, one man and one woman so as not be accused of woman bashing.

Most people know about Andrea Yates here in Texas who murdered her 5 children by drowning them all in the bath tub. She was found to have a mental illness. Were those murders sin?

Second we have Ted Bundy the serial rapist and murderer. It is said of him that he suffered extreme depression which brought about the things he did. That means by these claimed Doctors today he also was mentally ill. Was what he did sin?

#33 freeatlast, May 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2012
  14. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Let me answer your question with my own experience.

My mental illness does not excuse anything I have ever done, but it does explain it.

How does this make sense?

Simply that I alone am responsible for my health, be it physical or mental. If I neglect my mental health and do something sinful I am still responsible and accountable for that sin.

So, even though my behavior can be affected by my mental health, i am still responsible for maintaining my mental health.

if you have a severe infection or heart problem or diabetes and you dont seek treatment, whose fault is it?

Same thing with mental health. I am not making excuses or looking for a mulligan for my sins. I am simply saying that my health depends on me seeking the needed treatment for it.

I have never, not once, said that I am not accountable for anything I have ever done.

John

15. seekingthetruth

And you are wrong. The drug does improve my behavior by giving me more control over it.

John

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So let me be sure I am understanding you. Are you saying that the "mental illness" makes you sin if not treated with drugs, but even though it is the condition that makes you sin you accept the responsibility for the sin if you do not take the drugs?

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And what "mental disorder" did this person have, and how do you account for her "behavior" which everyone agrees is "totally abnormal."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8026439.stm

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The problem here is, even if you do not know it, that you are claiming that sin comes from some outside source or some source other then the heart. The bible says that sin comes from within, the heart, Mat 15, the very nature of the person and each one of having different areas that we are tempted in.
    What I am trying to show you is that you are not dealing with the sin by taking drugs. You are simply surprising your brain from carrying it out. Yes it may be easier not to carry out the sin, but it still does not get rid of what is in the heart. Drugs do not deal with the sin issue. All they can do is surpress the sin. It is juast like being in a coma. You never carry out a sin in a cooma. While the coma is total surpression the drug is partial surpression but the sin remains hidden within. The drug may deal with consequences of this life that would have been brought on had those sins been done, but it does nothing for the spiritual realm which is what really matters. The sin remains and is not being dealt with by confession and forsaking. Drugs NEVER fix the sin problem. All they can do is keep the sin from being carried out externally.

#38 freeatlast, May 6, 2012
  19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not understanding the question in regards to the link. What was her behavior problem?

#39 freeatlast, May 6, 2012
  20. seekingthetruth

Spin it any way you want to.

What I am saying is that even though I need a mineral supplement to sustain my mental health, I am still accountable and responsible for any sin I have ever committed.

My illness explains "some" of my past behavior, but it does not excuse it.....I am still the owner of those sins, and I alone am responsible.

Now, today, that I am aware of my illness, i am even more accountable.

I am a firm believer in personal accountability

And that includes me

John