1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many Baptisms

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Reformer, Aug 15, 2008.

?
  1. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1

24 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. 2

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. 3

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Reformer

Reformer New Member

This topic comes from a conversation I had with a pastor who Insisted that we (Baptist) Baptise to many children

He asked me "How many times have you been baptized?" to which I had to reply 2, once when I was about 6 or 7 and then again when I actually got saved 5 years ago. Every since then I have been asking this question a lot and have got a lot of different answers even a few people say 3 counting an Infant Baptism of some sort.

So just for my curiosity I have the Poll and ask for a explanation if you don't mind

Thanks, Reformer

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was baptized in 1975 in the RLDS church, and in 1985 in the Baptist church.

Christ said to suffer the little children, and forbid them not. I think most rebaptisms are unnecessary. A child takes by faith the preaching and teaching he hears once or twice a week, and is turned from the message by one or more of the following:

1) The humanistic education he received for 7+ hours a day for 5 days a week,
    2) The example and influence of lukewarm parents and church members,
    3) The example and influence of worldly peers.

Then on a future date he comes to his senses and returns to the ways in which he was instructed as a child. He feels, quite erroneously, that he was never saved the first time because of something he "never understood," (as if faith was contingent upon one's natural cognitive abilities) and thinks his first baptism was invalid.

I think the number of baptisms an individual experiences is less evidence of the baptism of "too many children" than it is evidence of a weak and sickly body of believers.

3. hsmom22boys

hsmom22boys New Member

Baptised once, as an adult

#3 hsmom22boys, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  4. Reformer

Reformer New Member

This may be true in many cases but certainly not all, I am one of those not all, I left the church the day my mother told me she would no longer force me to go, I did not look back, I continued into a life of sin that would make most people on this board cringe, I did not care at all about the things of God, I was never deceived I knew I was going to Hell and I didn't care. I did not "come to my senses" He saved me when I was living in complete sin and loving every minute of it, until He saved me

just for the record I am not opposed to Baptising children. I honestly have not give it much thought at all until about 2 weeks ago. If my 9 year old came to me and asked to be baptised I would probably (after talking with the wife) allow it depending on the circumstances. The fact is there are childhood conversions in the Bible albeit not many, they are still there.

I was mostly just curious as to how many people out there felt the need to be baptised more than once, I wondered if the man in my conversation had a leg to stand on with his argument.

And I am new at some of this stuff so if you don't mind could you tell me what the RLDS church is that one doesn't ring a bell to me.. just curious

Reformer

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RLDS = Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints. It is the fragment of Mormons that rejected Brigham Young as the president in favor of Joseph Smith, Jr. After the murder of Joseph Smith in the Carthage jail, those loyal to Young followed him to Utah, and those loyal to Smith returned to Missouri.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Reformer, I think your experience is all too typical of many Baptists in the past 40-50 years. I cannot tell you how many people I know who made public professions of faith as children and were immersed, only to come under conviction years later.

This includes three deacons in my church.

I fear that we can trace a lot of these experiences to the easy believism which took root among evangelicals in the 1960s and 70s. Instead of urging people to cry out to God for mercy, we gave it a name--The Sinner's Prayer--and corrupted it into "say these magic words and you'll be saved."

Nothing sends chlls up my spine more than hearing someone's sole hope of heaven articulated as "well, I said the prayer."

7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was baptized (sprinkled) at 36 at a Methodist church, then when building the cabinets for our new Baptist church the subject came up while talking to the Pastor and he told me he wanted me to be the first to be baptized (submerged) in the new bapistry. So I did to please him, but felt it was unecessary.

#7 Benjamin, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Just once, at age 27 in a baptist church.

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I was baptized once, at the age of 11, in a Baptist church. It was almost a year after I was saved.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Three for three! :thumbs:

Baptised in the Spirit into the Body of Christ (I Cor. 12:13);

Baptized into the death of Christ (Rom. 6:3-4);

'Dunked in the tank.' (Ac. 8:38; 10:47) :D

The first two are fully important, and are integral 'occurrences' of the more than 50 'non-experiential' things that occur at the point of our salvation; the third one of 'Christian water baptism' is only for one who has already believed; is for "show"; has absolutely nothing to do with our receiving salvation, in any manner; and can even be distracting, in some instances. (Mt. 28:18-20; Ac. 8:16, 36, 38; 10:48;16:33; I Cor. 1:14-17; I Pet. 3:21)

From what I can see, the rest of the baptisms mentioned in Scripture do not 'specifically' apply to me/us as Christians, including the Baptism of repentance by John of Israel upon confession of sins (Mt. 3:6; Ac. 19:4), the two baptisms of Jesus (Mt. 3:13-15; Lk. 7:29), baptism for the dead (I Cor. 15:29), baptism of Israel "unto Moses" in the "cloud" and in the Red Sea (I Cor. 10:2), and the baptism of fire (Lk. 3:16-17), which is future and for the unsaved at the judgment. I believe it is seriously misreading and understanding Scripture to attempt to make this Scripture have something to do with Spiritual empowerment, for "unquenchable fire" is a reference to eternal judgment, punishment and/or and condemnation, however one would like to phrase this (Mk. 9:43-48).

As is my usual practice, I did not vote in the pool, 'er I mean poll, because of the unclear wording.

Ed

#10 EdSutton, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008
  11. Allan

Allan Active Member

The truth is I was biblcally baptised only once because true baptism follows salvation.

However, I was placed under water one other time as well when I was 5.
    My pastor asked me many extensive questions and I answered them all biblically and even gave him scripture. I was what I wanted to do because it was what Christ asked of us. There are children'people whe are/were saved at such time in life (as children) but I was not one of them.

However by the grace of God when He saved me at 17, it was not so much because I wanted to do... but because it was what I needed.

#11 Allan, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008
  12. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

One time, after I was saved.

13. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Just once, and that is enough. A second baptism is redundant. Ephesians 4:5.

14. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I was "baptized" as a oneness pentecostal "so that" my sins would be remitted.

I was baptized in accordance with biblical instruction at the age of 41 after I placed my faith in Christ alone, because my sins were remitted.

Praise God.

15. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I was saved after I was baptized and had to be baptized again.

16. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I guess I really count the first Baptism because I was a Catholic and I was really Sprinkled not fully immersed.

17. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Correction on my last post. I guess I cannot count the first one because I was sprinkled. Sorry.

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

According to Webster, your sprinkling was indeed a baptism. :thumbs:

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

What Church does Webster pastor? :laugh:

I am the 3 times picker...

Once when I was 6, second time around 18 then I felt compelled to be baptized again at 35...

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

The church of English Words. :laugh:

LeBuick, you got it all covered. I don't think anyone can doubt your salvation. :laugh: