1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many here were

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Frenchy, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

raised in "christian" homes?
    And was the experence good or bad?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was.

And it was a very good experience.

It didn't make me a Christian to be raised by a Christian mother and father. It didn't make me more holy than my Christian friends who were raised in non-Christian environments.

But my mother, the beauty queen, taught me how to pray, the importance of reading the bible and how to serve Jesus Christ through the church and in the home.

My father ("lester, the pester [​IMG] ) taught me about stewardship, the importance of interpreting the bible through context and study, and how to serve Jesus Christ through the church and the home.

They showed me how a married couple should face life together and serve Christ together and how they should serve each other. They showed me the joy of Christian marriage.

Like them, I am saved and am an "active" Christian.

Unlike them, I am not married.

Being raised in a Christian home was not perfect because my parents weren't perfect and I am not perfect, but it was a good experience and I reflect back on it with humble gratitude to God. Other than my salvation, being raised by those two people was the greatest thing He ever did for me.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

3. Jannee

Jannee New Member

I wasn't

I did attend a Lutheran Church for a short time when I was 13

The seed was planted....

4. samarelda

samarelda New Member

I was raised in a Christian home but my parents were first generation Christians having both gotten saved after they were married. We never discussed spiritual things. It somehow seemed awkward for them. We did however attend a really good IFB church on Sunday mornings. The preaching had a big impact on my life. My parents subscribed to "The Sword of the Lord" and we had numerous books purchased from that publication so I read a lot. I grew up on John R. Rice. We also did not have a TV which was a really good thing too. Eventually, a Christian school was started in our church and I attended there my last 3 years of high school. That decision impacted my life a lot. I grew a lot spiritually those 3 years.

My parents were very strict too. I didn't date at all while a teen--another good thing. I was very fearful of my dad. To this day I fear ever getting a speeding ticket because of how my dad would react--and he has been gone now for 2 years. (I have never had a speeding ticket, thanks to my dad.) My dad was sort of a "one strike and your out" kind of person. I was brought up on old-fashioned values. Even though my spiritual training didn't come directly from my parents--they brought it into my life through other means. I am so thankful for that. I can't imagine where I would be otherwise.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

For the first 11 years of my life I was raised by a Christian mother and a non-Christian father. But when I was 11 my father accepted Christ as his personal Lord and Savior.

It was a good experience.

6. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

I was raised in a Christian home both parents.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was and the experience was good spiritually, but bad in how we were raised. I come from a very legalistic home...Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner and Wile Coyote were not allowed because they portrayed "violence". Based on this you can get some kind of picture of what I am talking about. [​IMG]

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was raised in a Christian home... though I have often wondered about my mom. I've never heard her pray though she says she did/does. I've never seen her open her Bible except in church. She has argued with me before that it is not a personal responsibility to witness to people. She thinks that "living a good testimony" and occasionally inviting people to church is enough.

My dad was saved maybe a year or two before I was. He has always taken his faith very serious but he had alot of baggage to overcome himself.

Both of my parents assumed that taking us to church was enough. They didn't really have much of a concept about how to disciple us. They weren't compromised on right and wrong but they also weren't comfortable talking to us about sin and strategies for avoiding it.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I was raised in a Christian home, so called.

If it were what I would consider a Christian home, it would have been good. In reality, not so much.

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I was raised in a Christian home---and if I could "rewind" the time clock and go back---I wouldn't change a thing!!

Both my parents are now living in the "Land of the Living" and I can hardly wait to see them! I know the best is yet to be!!!

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

Both my parents became Christians when I was a toddler.

My parents (especially Mom) were very legalistic until I was about 16. Then they found a better "balance" of rules and relationships. Had that not happened when it did, I expect things would have gone differently (in a negative sense) in my life.

12. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I was and it was great. My parents showed me how to be a Christian through actions and words. They totally gave their lives to Christ. They took their faith seriously. My dad is now in Heaven. My mom has gotten away from the Lord, please pray that she returns to him. Thanks.

13. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I did not grow up in a Christian home. Moral, yes. Dad was a backslidden Mormon and Mom accepted Christ when I was a child. We did not attend church together, though, b/c it almost destroyed the family for them to believe such different things. We did attend as a family when I was a late teen after Dad finally accepted Christ. But I wouldnt change anything about it, because its part of my journey and its part of who I am.

14. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

I was raised in a Christian home and had believing grandparents as well. It was a great blessing. When I surrendered to preach I called my Grand-dad first. It was only then that I learned that he had been praying for God to call me to be a preacher almost from the time I was born! My grandparents and my parents walked the talk. I watched and was blessed. God has been so very gracious to me in my life.

TATER, you seem to always be so positive in your posts! You are such a blessing to us all!!!

15. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I was and it was good...

16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I was as well, though mine tended to leave much of the spiritual training of us kids up to the church. It doesn't always "take" real well when it isn't reinforced at home.

But, I appreciate the fact that my parents worked hard to keep us all in Christian schools throughout our education. They were very much into the whole idea of raising their kids to be independent, which translated into not telling us what to do very much. So when I see those who complain about strict "legalistic" parents I tend to wonder. I always wished my parents were MORE strict with us......it really is all about balance.

17. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suppose there are different definitions of what a Christian home is, but anyway, I guess I would have to say no. My Mom did take us to church a few times when I was too young to remember and did teach me a prayer to say before bed, I also remember her going a few times when I was in my teens but I didn’t go with her because frankly I didn’t know what to expect if I did and didn’t want to deal with it.

My Dad never mentioned God to me and physically left before my teens but mentally left long before that. A few years ago I pried pretty hard to find out from him if he did believe in God as I tried to establish a relationship with him but all I could get out of him was the old “how do you know you have the right God and men wrote the Book” stuff. He did seem to listen closely when I would get on a roll quoting scripture but wouldn’t say anything, except for maybe “well that’s enough of that”. He died last month but about 2 weeks before that I was at his birthday party discussing the Roman road with my sister who now works in a church office but who didn’t know the scripture or method and noticed my Dad leaning way back in his chair to listen. I laid it on really think and he listened really hard; I hope he believed in the only Name that could save him.

18. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Benj,

I hope so too brother. ANd thanks for sharing that. I will be kinder to you since I know you a little better through this. But I will still debate the Isreal thing with intensity. Hope to post tomorrow if I can get the time to do a proper response...

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :eek: [​IMG]

20. mima

mima New Member

Yes I was raised in a Christian home. Both my parents were wonderful to me. My father was the smartest man I have Ever met. He was an ordained Baptist minister. But never held a pastoral position. It was my father's practice to tell his children, you pick a subject and the side you want to argue and I'll take the other side. What wonderful memories I have of debating everything imaginable with him. My mother and I shared a kindred spirit and had many good times together. Answering this question has brought back pleasant memories to me.