1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many of America's leading churches ...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by All about Grace, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am definitely not a Hyles fan and had heard from another source that he had been involved with another woman. Also, the story about his son is widely circulated.

That said, this source is not a very good one. He condemns every one and is frequently loose with the facts.

3. JonHenry

JonHenry New Member

I would like to see this guy's expose' on the Apostle Peter.

"The prevalent psychobabble of strength in persecution..."

"...and the apostle Paul even had to withstand him to his face!"

"...obviously falling back into his old ways of a denier..."

4. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

Is the premise of this experiment that big churches (attendance-wise) have low standards and that their predominant use of another translation is the reason for such? :confused:

It's not over 5K (which is relatively meaningless, IMO), but my parents' church, Grove Avenue Baptist, has an active membership of around 500 families (which works out to around 1500 active members) and their pastor uses the NIV in his messages. This is a church with high standards, some of them even on the legalistic side. 1500 active members may not count for your purposes, but it's among the largest Baptist churches in the area. I don't know of any churches with over 5K active members anywhere near me. Thomas Road is several hours from here (5 or 6), so that one certainly wouldn't be "in the area."

5. Bugman

Bugman New Member

Grace Community church is over 5000 and MacArthur preaches from the KJV although he is definitly not KJVO, but by the same token he is definitly not easy-beliverism.

Bryan

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

He hasn't preached from the KJV in years, if ever.

7. Bugman

Bugman New Member

I was under the impression he did preach from the KJV for the most part. He grew up on it, and he does uses it for his Bible studies that are aviable on the net.

Bryan

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

His books all use the NASB and his study Bible is a NKJV. I think he preached out of the NASB for a long time.

9. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

John MacArthur:

Thank you for your recent letter and encouragement concerning our tape ministry. The question you raised concerning various Bible versions is a very complex issue that cannot be adequately discussed in a letter. Often times it is filled with more emotion and heat than it is knowledge and light. Let me share with you my own conclusions after studying these issues. Bible versions, such as the New International Version and the New American Standard Bible, have been translated by godly men of demonstrated academic repute from the very best manuscript evidence that is available today. May I add, the manuscript evidence that is now available is far superior to that which was available to the King James Version's translators in 1611. I would have no reservation in recommending these versions, yet I myself choose to continue using the Scofield Reference Bible because it is the text with which I am most familiar.

We do, however, disagree when it comes to Bible versions. If I understood your tapes correctly, you were saying that the King James Version is the only English translation which has faithfully transmitted the truth of God in its entirety from the original writings of the 1st Century. I still use the Scofield Reference Bible which is basically a King James Version, but I do not believe it's the only good version.

http://www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/KJV.HTM

10. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Very true! That's how Jack Hyles's church is fast growing. This church' biggest problem is wrong soul winning method -- easy believism.

11. Askjo

Askjo New Member

You are right that this church is largest church, but I reject this church because of its wrong soul-winning method -- easy believism and quick prayism.

12. mozier

mozier New Member

Every time I come across the KJVO argument, I am reminded of this Jack Chick comic booklet, which had this preacher behind a pulpit, saying, "The KJV is unreliable! It is out-of-date and inaccurate! We must use more modern, accurate translations! Trust me!" And sticking out from behind the preacher's suit jacket is a pointed tail!

:rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG]

mozier

13. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I almost certain that Falwell's church is not KJVO. He uses the KJV still, but it is not the only version allowed. If I remember it correctly, when I visited he made a statement of different versions when he was about to read his sermon text, and it definitely wasn't negative. Also, I am pretty sure that he really likes the NKJV.

Neal

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Then we stand corrected in regard to Thomas Road Baptist Church. BTW - is it really located on Thomas Road?

15. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

Yes, actually. [​IMG] Even their new building is on Thomas Road (they named the road).