1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many of you believe this?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by seekingthetruth, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luke2427
    I am not calling you ignorant. I am pointing out where you identify yourself as ignorant on this subject.

And arrogance is almost never what popular opinion thinks it is.
    The same with humility.

Arrogance is speaking authoritatively on something as if you know what you are talking about when you clearly do not.

Humility is rebuking such arrogance while being willing to take flack from everybody for doing so. Humility is being more concerned with reproving darkness than receiving affirmation and approval.

Your way of thinking, this IFB mentality that so many IFB's have- is DARKNESS.
    Befriending it does not work. Coddling it does not work.

And even if it did we are not supposed to have our actions guided by pragmatism but by Scripture.

Scripture says to EARNESTLY CONTEND for the Faith.
    Scripture says to REPROVE the unfruitful works of darkness.
    Scripture says to CAST DOWN imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the KNOWLEDGE of GOD.

True humility is not avoiding that and being pragmatic and getting people to approve of you and call you a sweet guy. That is the dead level OPPOSITE of humility.

Humility is being willing to be ostracized for doing what is right because you care more about truth than your own self

This was posted to me on another thread. I am not a Ruckman or Hyles IFB. I am assuming that Luke thinks I am. Our church does not teach even one man-made rule.

Is it the general concensus of the BB that all IFB's are evil? That's what "darkness" means isn't it? Evil?

What say you? Does being IFB made me "evil" as Luke says?

Do you people really think I am evil because of my biblical convictions?

John

#1 seekingthetruth, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
  2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

See, that's not even MY belief.

I condemn the thinking of MANY IFB's.

I think all Christians are obligated to do so.

But I have acknowledged multiple times that there are many good IFB's out there- many who join with me in condemning the same things. I join with the likes of many who call themselves "recovering legalists" and "recovering pharisees". I am a recovering pharisee and legalist myself. I used to be IFB. I know the darkness that is perpetrated in many camps of the IFB. That darkness MUST be resisted with no thought to the personal cost in doing so. Christ, our Master, has called us to do so- all of us.

#2 Luke2427, Nov 5, 2011
  3. seekingthetruth

It is my belief that your hatred for me is really based on me not being Reformed. It can't be because I am legalistic, because I am not.

We fellowship with several IFB churches in our area, but they are not legalistic either. There are two churches here that are of the Hyles type, and we don't fellowship with them. We don't send them nasty letters telling them that they are evil, we just don't fellowship with them

John

#3 seekingthetruth, Nov 5, 2011
  4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You are wrong. I love numerous people who don't adhere to the DoG. Adrian Rogers, Jerry Vines, Junior Hill, Alvin Plantiga, etc...

I do not hate you at all. This is not personal no matter how much you try to make it personal.

I do hate something though- I make no bones about it. I hate it with a passion. I think that according to the Bible is is right to hate this and it is a sin NOT to hate it.

It is DARKNESS. This darkness is unbridled ignorance. It is unbridled in the sense that the people who bear this ignorance are not humble enough to keep their views to themselves until they are more knowledgeable. No. These people who are ignorant of these things preach them. They proclaim there errors from the HOUSE TOPS!! They preach them here on baptistboard for the WHOLE WORLD to read!

And they spread darkness by suppressing the truth.

They do not know anything about theology and the history of it- but they SPEAK! and they speak with AUTHORITY.

And so people with no more knowledge than themselves BELIEVE what they are saying.

I know. I did it for YEARS! I was kept in DARKNESS by people who I THOUGHT knew what they were talking about. They spoke with such AUTHORITY and I was too stupid to know how to tell that they did not know what they were talking about. So they kept me in darkness.

I want to confront that darkness. I want to OBLITERATE that darkness!

I am commanded to have no fellowship with the unfrutiful works of darkness but rather REPROVE them.

We are all commanded to do that.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    come on John.....maybe your church doesnt but you most certainly do promote hate, evidenced by your posts about being ANTI CALVINISTIC.....funny you dont see it!

6. seekingthetruth

I don't hate the Calvinist, I despise the false doctrine.

John

#6 seekingthetruth, Nov 5, 2011
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And who told you its false?

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

This is one reason I never cling to a title other then Christian. Strong association with a title or group always brands the person even if the person does not hold to the teaching of that group in its entirety. I am not sure what the contention is that you are speaking about, but if you are associated with any group that has serious error, even in only one area, and even if you do not hold to that error I would still distance myself from them at least in name.

9. seekingthetruth

I find it ironic that I am called Arminian even though I only share one or two points with the doctrine, but yet, even though I agree partially with total depravement and 100% with eternal security, noone says I am a Calvinist.

Neither label fits.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.