1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many of you have kids or grandkids in the military . . .

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, Nov 16, 2012.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

or are encouraging them to sign up? Girls, too? Just curious.

Out of 5 kids and 5 grand-kids old enough, Thank God none of them are in the military.

2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Two of my boys are old enough, but only one is done with high school. I am not encouraging them to enlist. I advise them how best to meet their goals and leave the decisions to them to make. The main thing I do push is, "How best do you use your skills to glorify God?"

3. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My son has been to the Land of Bad Things and has seen the Elephant. He remains in the Army National Guard and will re-enlist when his time comes next year. He is in EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal), loves his job and fully understands the risks. Two nieces and a nephew served during the first Gulf War.

I am proud of each of them and supported them before during and after their service.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

I will keep that in mind when the US is invaded.

As for me - one son - 2 girls - none joined
    Grandkids not old enough -yet,
    but yes I would encourage my grandsons to join

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My SIL is in Bahrain serving as an MP in the Navy.
    Just upped for another 2 years - - - somewhere.

Rob

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

At first I was going to encourage my children join a branch of the military, as it was a positive experience for me. However, as they grew up and saw a parade of conflicts we got involved in, but had no business doing such, I came to conclusion to neither encourage nor discourage. If they had questions, I answered them and pretty much kept out of the issue.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is a hugh difference between the US being invaded or WW2, and wasted American lives that have no purpose in such conflicts as Iraq, Somalia, and dozens of others I could mention.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am very proud that our daughter is a military wife. Her husband has been in the Air Force for 23 years. My wife was a military brat. Her father spent 21 years in the Air Force. I too served (enough said). My oldest grandson is aiming for the Air Force Academy. :)

My respect to every person who has served, who is presently serving, and plans to serve. :)

#8 TCassidy, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
  9. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

never mind
    sorry

#9 mont974x4, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
  10. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Thank you, TCassidy. As for the "military haters" that occasionally show their true colors every now and then here on BB, be reminded that were it not for people who served in the military down through the years, I seriously doubt that there'd even be a BB so that you can have a platform to vent your hatred for those who served down through the years in our nation's military. I suppose that they wouldn't mind some of these options: 1) Being loyal subjects of the British monarchy (BTW, no reflection on those on BB who CHOOSE to be QE2's loyal subjects); 2) Or maybe they'd prefer living as Christians had to under the conditions of the 3d Reich; 3) Or, better yet, be subjects of the Emperor of Japan.

You have the right to post whatever you wish to [regardless of how inane some of your postings may be!] on BB because some people chose to SECURE and PRESERVE that right for you.
    You have the right to worship as you please [or NOT to worship at all!] because some people chose to SECURE and PRESERVE that right for you.
    You had the right to vote for whomever you wanted to for POTUS earlier this month.....and to publicly approve or disapprove of that election's outcome because some people chose to SECURE and PRESERVE that right for you.
    I could go on mentioning a lot of other rights that you often take for granted here in this republic, but I won't.
    So, go on spewing your venom against the military if you wish, but while you're doing that, keep in mind that you have that right to hate any and all things having to do with our military [most of which the military troops themselves had absolutely no say-so in the matter to begin with!] because some people chose to SECURE and PRESERVE that right for you.

And just who were/are those people who chose to SECURE and PRESERVE those rights of yours you ask?

The very people you apparently hate with every fiber of your being:

The men and women who, down through the years, many times through no choice of their own (Remember the draft?), served in our nation's armed forces!
    ---------------------------------------------------------

"ALL gave some,..............some gave ALL!" :thumbsup:

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And here I thought FreeAtLast had been banned and was gone....

So, Bill/Free -- what was the purpose of this? Simple curiosity? Or was there something actually intelligent behind opening this can of worms?

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow Don!?! Whatever do you mean? Are you suggesting Mr. BILL has a hidden agenda?

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it takes someone like Bill, for us patriots to stand up and proclaim the truth.

Some time ago, I started a thread - about who has served in the military - many of us have.

I have never regretted joining the service.

Sarge

PS I will mention that I don't agree with every last thing about the Army or the politicians who run it - but overall we do a great job.

14. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    my son got out of the US Air Force. He was with OSI, and is now working as a civilian employee doing the same thing he did at OSI while he was on active duty.
    A granddaughter wanted to join the Air Force also right after graduation from a community college in California which would be a year from now.
    I told her to stand down, and wait until Obama is out.
    Ain' lettin' none of my kin serve with this president as Commander-in-Chief.
    He don' even deserve the salutre of those in the brigs.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I salute the rank - not necessarily the person

16. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

That's what ALL military personnel are (supposedly, AAR) are taught to do! :thumbs:

Chances are that not every military service person that salutes the incumbent POTUS as he departs AF 1 (Whether or not the incumbent POTUS be a D or an R, or whether it was/is FDR, Truman, Ike, JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, W, or B Hussein O!)

When Al Gore was VPOTUS, whenever he flew into BNA, AF2 would nearly always taxi on to the ramp where my TN ANG unit parked its C-130H2 transport aircraft. If AG happened to show up during 1 of the 118th A W's drill weekends, all flight line activity had 2 cease & no one could cross Knapp Blvd (the street that divides the 118th's HQ & Personnel bldgs from its flight-line & OPS bldgs).

I still remember the day when I was in the 118th's Personnel Retention office RE-ENLISTING when the VPOTUS Al Gore's motorcade was passing through. I had 2 wait at least 45 mins standing out there in the hot, humid middle TN Aug weather as VPOTUS Gore's motorcade passed through! [I guess that was my re-enlistment bonus! :smilewinkgrin:]

Moreover, when I was AD USAF at Ramstein AB in Germany, my unit had some born losers for Adm O [an interior decorator fm MA who was serving his ROTC commitment] & a Maint O [Don't recall where he was fm, but he also was serving out his ROTC commitment {Should have been "commited" to the place w/ rubber rooms was the overwhelming consensus of us enlisted folks! :smilewinkgrin:}]

But, since they wore the silver bar of an O-2 on their shoulder, we had 2 salute them! :BangHead:

17. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Military haters?

You mean those who would rather see the military in it's proper role of defending the United States instead of being used to consolidate the power and wealth of the global elite?

Since when did opposing an illegitimate foreign power having dominion over our military become hate for our military?

Maybe you guys that are so pleased to have our children serve an illegitimate foreign power are the people that really hate our military.

#17 poncho, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  18. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome back pinoy! Man, it's good to see you posting again!

Got a nephew in Afghanistan now, a SIL who did two tours Iraq, one tour Afghanistan, has a bad 'tic' now from combat, drawing some sort of disability for it, doesn't stop him from living a normal life though. Vets these days have it made compared to WW2 vets. Dad is [near] deaf in one ear from a cannon blast on the destroyer he was on in the Pacific, WW2. He was examimined and told he'd be OK. He's never even stepped foot in a VA hospital. He'll be 88 in Jan.

#18 kyredneck, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  19. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Since we weren't blessed with offspring, there are no kids or grandkids with that option. Have several within our extended family who have served.

Regardless of what's going on in Washington, these men and women in the trenches need our full support. Every time I have the opportunity to shake the hand of a person in uniform, I'm also remembering an uncle who spent 4 years in the Pacific during WWII. And untold others who have given their lives so these words can flow from this keyboard.

20. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    and I respect what you said. but it riles me to see the guy calling himself the POTUS disrespecting the salutes of the men as he disembarks from AF1 by continuing to talk on his cell phone while saluting with his right hand. (I saw a picture of him doing that. couldn't find it now. on the net.)
    These are men and women who would gladly occupy a body bag for him, least he could do is get off the phone, if not put it down.
    then there's Benghazi......