1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many people do you think will go to heaven?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, May 2, 2008.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

How many of the people you know who claim to be Christians do you think are really saved?

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.
    I believe doctrine is very important but if a person says they are trusting in Christ by faith for salvation by grace, I assume they are saved.

So when it comes to the people you know....do you often doubt the salvation of others or do you tend to believe that professing Christians are saved, even if they do not agree with you?

2. standingfirminChrist

It matters not whether they agree with me or not. What matters is whether they agree with the Word of God.

Scripture states that the child of God cannot sin. Now, we know that we all do sin from time to time, so does that mean none are saved? Certainly not! Since Paul states that the child of God cannot continue in sin seeing as he or she is dead to sin, we must come to the conclusion that one is committing the same sin over and over without any remorse must not have had a true Salvation experience... God chastens us when we sin letting us know we have sinned.

We can judge righteous judgment according to the Word of God (John 7:24). If the professing person does not live as the Word of God professes a child of God lives, he needs to examine himself.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

And the same applies to me! :)

But most of all, it is the perfect work of Christ that matters most.

4. standingfirminChrist

The JW's would argue that only 144,000 will have eternal life.

Funny thing... there has to be more than 144,000 of 'em in the world now.

Uh, Sherm, you are a wonderful brother, but we reached the limit. you are not qualified to go with us.

:laugh:

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I certainly would never say that a person has to agree with me on everything in order to be truly saved. However, neither do I think that everyone who claims to be be a Christian is one. I have good reason for saying this, because I myself would have claimed to be a Christian in the years before I was converted. Also, in the latest Census here (2001), about 41 million people, out of almost 59 million, said they were Christians. Yet only 3½ million attend any kind of "Christian" service on an average Sunday! (I put "Christian" in quotes, because the 3½ million included a far broader range of belief than someone who believes the bible would mean by the word). Like you, Dale, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I cannot believe that there 55½ million Christians here who don't meet with others to worship God, while only 3½ million do.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think that means they tell on each other in prayer just in case God missed their brothers sin.

Lk 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

:thumbs:

7. standingfirminChrist

That's even worse.

Uh, God... It's me Josiah. I been better than Sherm, so I'm in right? We tight on this? I thought so.

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (Matthew 7:23)

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :thumbs:

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didnt i see somewhere that only members of BB will make to to heven

10. standingfirminChrist

You may have, but it is only hearsay.

My mother isn't a member, but she has professed Christ and has been living for God for over half a century so I am pretty sure she will be there.

11. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Isn't it spelt "heresy"? :laugh:

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not assume that everyone who says they are saved actually are. And there is certainly no scripture to back up such a view.

Mat 7:17 So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit.
    Mat 7:18 A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit.
    Mat 7:19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
    Mat 7:20 Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.
    Mat 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
    Mat 7:22 On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?'
    Mat 7:23 And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'

Mat 21:43 Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people producing its fruits

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Nor do I. However, everyone who says they are trusting in Christ in faith for salvation by grace then I give them the benefit of the doubt usually.
    There are exceptions of course.
    Also, I am not talking about mere lip service here but those who actually attend church and give some sort of evidence of a Christian life.

14. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

I guess my question is

"What is the fruit that these people will be bearing?"

If that is how we are to judge it.

15. standingfirminChrist

The child of God will be bearing the fruit of the Spirit. But we must be wise in determining if it is indeed the fruit of the Spirit the person is bearing. Those unsaved also has counterfeit fruit given them as well.

For instance, peace. Jesus said, "My peace give I unto you, not as the world giveth give I unto you..." So there is counterfeit peace in the world. The other 8 are also counterfeitable also.

Know them that labor among you. Is their actions becoming of a Christian? Do the works of the flesh manifest themselves often with no apparent godly sorrow? Then the fruit they are showing is counterfeit and not of the Spirit of God.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

We never know for sure who is truly saved.
    But I am optimistic about most people that claim to be Christians and have some sort of evidence to show it.

17. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I believe that most people who claim to be a "Christian" aren't. Some believe they are a Christian because they are an American. I had a woman tell me that once. "Of course, I'm a Christian. I'm an American." After all, this is a "Christian nation" isn't it? :laugh:

Others were raised in a Christian home and believe themselves to be a Christian although they have never called on the Lord in repentance and sought His cleansing of their sins. Some believe that they are a Christian because they were baptized, or are a member of a church.

I believe there will be a lot of people in hell who thought their "good" works would get them into heaven. There will also be many in heaven that no one expected to see there, because their life never showed any evidence that they were saved. They got saved but were never discipled and taught.