1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many songs...

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by rlvaughn, Nov 19, 2005.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a thread about the Celebration Hymnal, Pastor Larry mentioned that "It doesn't have enough stuff." I'm sure he had in mind the problem of getting in one hymnal all the songs you'd like to sing (or something like that). But I'm not interested particularly in that question. It just made me think of another question.

I wonder how many different songs the average church actually sings. How many different songs does your church sing? Or, in other words, how large is your repertoire of songs, or the repertoire of the average church?

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

Our hymnal has 625 hymns/songs in it. To date, we have sung 206 of the 625. During the holidays, we will sing an additional 25-30 different hymns. We try to introduce new hymns from time to time. 40-50 hymns/songs outside of the primary hymnal.

Off the top of my head, the Adult Choir has sung 14-15 different songs. The Children's Choir, 10?

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

We are nearing 250 songs that we routinely use (meaning every several months), not including Christmas songs.

4. tenor

tenor New Member

It has been my experience that a "typical" church sings about 25-50 different titles during a year.

As a project for a seminary class, I structured a survey of small Baptist churches, this number was the outcome of that survey.

At the church where I am Minister of Music, we routinely use about 150-200 titles a year, not including the choir, soloists and ensembles.