1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many times?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by HeDied4U, Sep 11, 2006.

1. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many times can a CD-RW be used before it's no longer any good? I have a couple I've been using to temporarily hold sermons or music I listen to when I go to bed. After a day or two, I "erase" the CD so I can put different content on it.

Well, this morning I erased a sermon I had on one of the CD's, wanting to put some music on it. When I got ready to burn the CD, I got a message stating that I needed to put a blank CD in the drive, then then again. As far as I knew, then CD was blank because I just erased it. I tried going through the erasing process again, but was informed by my computer that there was nothing to erase. So, figuring it was good to go, I tried the burn again, only to get the same 'please insert blank CD' message.

If I had to guess, which is what I'm doing, I'd say that I've used this CD about 15 to 20 times (give or take a few uses). Is that pretty much the life expentency of a CD-RW, or is this just a fluke with this one disc?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this prioblem.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife has a couple she makes bu'ps on and has probably around 40 erase, records and no problem.

Cd's do go bad, though rarely in my experience. Even the write only's have a limited life of many years, not eternal is the thought :laugh: I've not seen figures on how long they are supposed to last, but have read that they will fail ultimately.

Stick another cd in and make sure it isn't the drive, if not drive then seems you have your first bad one :tear:

You might give a heavy blow into the open drawer in case a dust bunny set up a nest on the lense.