1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How may of you have had a black person as a house guest?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, Oct 3, 2009.

1. PeterM

PeterM Member

Sorry bro... I won't be baited by someone who is either incapable of good hermaneutics or is intentionally making the Bible say what they want to hear... both of which lead to theological error.

What I will say is this... yes the church of Jesus Christ has always had a responsibility to meet the physical needs of people (church members first, then outsiders). That however is not the primary role or purpose of the church. The primary task of the church and EVERY Christ-Follower is to make disciples... period. In fact, the physical meeting of needs has historically been the primay method of opening the door to meet the more desperate spiritual.

If all the church is to be is a charity, then we will be feeding, clothing, and sheltering folks that will eventually be spending an eternity in hell.

Social Justice is not the gospel of Jesus Christ.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I wasn't commenting on my own criticisms of Obama. I'm simply saying that the color of his skin and his partisan affiliation alone are not grounds for being critical of the POTUS.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Bull.

Please don't insult our intelligence and pretend that if someone answers, "no," that you won't use it to show your superiority, or question whether or not someone struggles with racism.

To insinuate that you weren't trying to do so is laughable.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It most likely is not about comprehension but rather his predetermined opinion just waiting to come out.

6. alatide

alatide New Member

Where did I ever say that the primary role of Christians was to address physical needs? You're putting words into my moths and then arguing against yourself. of course salvation by grace is most important. jesus certainly showed this when he forgave the sins of the disabled man who came for healing. But then hHe healed him. Throughout the New Testament we are taught that Christians are to love God and then show love towards our fellow man, even our enemies.

Does this fit into your hermeneutics or not?

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Yeah but Tidy, you are the one who used the word "social gospel." And, on that you were being called. Suddenly your not using "social gospel" any more. What happened?

Maslov's needs hierarchy is used by many people, to include Christians. However, it's not found in the Bible.

8. alatide

alatide New Member

By social gospel, I mean that although we are saved by grace, true salvation is always accompanied by a rebirth. This rebirth bears fruit. By following Jesus' command this means for one thing that we are to love our neighbor even if he is our enemy. Loving our neighbor would certainly include helping to provide food, jobs, and health care for them.

9. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

It's probably about 20 million give or take a few isn't it?

10. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP asks, "How may of you have had a black person as a house guest?" Crabby has insisted that the OP can be answered with a simple yes or no. Crabby is right and anyone participating in this thread can answer a resounding YES!

The White House is an iconic symbol. It is the residence of, arguably, the most powerful man in the free world - The President of the United States. The President understands that his (someday her) stay is for a season. As presidents come and go the White House still belongs to her owner: the American people.

Our current president is an African-American. He lives in "the People's House" at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC. So, we have all had a black man and his family staying in our house since January 20, 2009.

11. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Never, and never will have any idol worshipping, non-biblical rosary counting, non-biblical mary worshipping, non-biblical purgatory believing, non-biblical funny-hat wearing man who is supposed to be 'god on earth' to be worshipped, non-biblical do-what- the-the-church-says believing person in my house.
    Got a problem with that?
    Nor will I have an Islamic, Hindu, Buddist or other false god worshippers anywhere on my property.
    So no.... I have never, and will never...entertain a person of false gods in my 'hoose'.
    I guess you allow muslims to pray in your house in the name of 'diversity'.
    As for me me and my house, I will serve the Lord.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So you have that nice godly love for your fellow human beings, huh??

13. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

The same as my god have for those that believe in Him.
    Or are you saying that these others are a way to God?

14. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

I would guess that you are a Baptist, being on the Baptist board. Tell me, doesn't the Bible tell us that non-believers are thrown into the lake of fire? Where do you think they come from?
    Do you honestly believe that we as humans can save the entire population?

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope. I'm saying that believers have a heart for the lost - to want to see them saved and to mourn when they are not. I do not see Jesus calling anyone names but the religious zealots of His day. I will love my Catholic neighbors and anyone else who needs Jesus - as well as my brothers and sisters in Christ.

16. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

My fellow 'human beings'?
    To answer your question, yes I do. (As far as a 'human being' can have 'Godly love', (since I am not God), and want all of my friends and family to share in the Grace of God. I want 'ALL' of these people to be there. Will they be? No....there are ones that we can do nothing about, even though we can pray for them, some will not come to Christ, and will not be with us.
    Questions?

17. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Despite the incorrect teachings of the catholic church, one cannot pray or pay a way for a soul to enter Heaven.

18. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

I never said to not have a Christian love for your neighbors. If your testimony calls others to the true God MORE POWER TO YOU.
    It is a loss when our fellow men/women do not come to God. But I would still rejoice on a single convert than worry about a 100 lost.
    We do not save.
    The belief in Christ does.
    All we can do is tell the story.
    Where do you think the people who are tossed into the lake of fire come from? Do you think we as Christians are responsible?

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

My goodness, the turns this thread has taken. I've had all kinds of folks in my home from time to time. But, I'm still undecided about the liberal. Now that's a dangerous breed.

20. PeterM

PeterM Member

Well, I certainly don't want to put words in your moths...

Now that you have essentially changed your position, I can essentially agree with what this individual post says, in that believers (not government agencies) are called to love God supremely and then others sacrificially.

And yes that would be an example of good hermaneutics (the science that teaches the principles and methods of interpreting the Word of God so as to avoid error).