1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How much do you know about Calvinism?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by russell55, Dec 27, 2003.

?
  1. God saves men without the gospel.

11.5%
  2. The gospel should only be preached to the elect.

23.1%
  3. There is no universal offer of the gospel.

65.4%
  4. Men condemn themselves when they reject the gospel.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Man's positive response to the gospel cannot be tied to his election.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. All of the above.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. russell55

russell55 New Member

Why not test yourself with these four questions? They are all straightforward--no intentionally tricky questions.

2. PappaBear

PappaBear New Member

More than I really care to.

3. russell55

russell55 New Member

Just a wee bit testy, are we? :rolleyes:

Of course, if you think you are learning too much in this forum, you can always try Bible Versions and Translations.

4. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

A question I did not find in the poll:

Should one align one's self with Calvinism?

5. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

That would be mixing an opinion question with factual questions.

6. Singleman

Singleman New Member

I suspect many Baptists don't understand Calvinism, or even try to. It "feels" wrong, so it must be.

7. russell55

russell55 New Member

Hey all,

I will post an answer key tomorrow or Friday. I'm sure you can't wait.....

8. russell55

russell55 New Member

So, here are the answers:

First question: Correct response is Men condemn themselves when they reject the gospel. Calvinist believe that people are condemned for the sum total of their sins. Rejection of the gospel is a knowing rejection of God, and a sin that is included in the list of sins for which anyone who rejects the gospel will be condemned.

Explanation of wrong answers that had responses:

God saves men without the gospel. Some calvinists do indeed believe that some may be saved without an actual knowledge of the gospel--like infants or young children. The “men” in the answer was intended to imply adult, mentally functioning people. All Calvinists believe that except for certain exceptions (like infants), salvation is through faith in Christ, and having faith in Christ necessitates some understanding of the gospel.

There is no universal offer of the gospel. I’ll quote Dordt for this one, since it saves me writing an explanation; and of course, Dordt is a good systematic explanation of what are called “the five points of Calvinism”:

Second question: Correct response is All of the above. Calvinists believe working toward the building up of the church is the duty of every believer, and all of the activities listed are means God uses to build His Church. We are to be active participators in the furtherance of the gospel.

Third question: The correct answer is Charles Spurgeon affirmed limited atonement as historically explained by the Calvinists. The easiest way to show this might be to show Spurgeon's explanation beside that of the Canons of Dordt.

On the sufficiency, value, or merit of the atonement:

Spurgeon:

Dordt:

On the purpose or intent of the atonement:

Spurgeon:

Dordt:

Explanation of wrong answers that had responses:

John Calvin made no mention of God's love toward the lost in his Institutes. One quote should suffice:

Hypercalvinist is another name for a five point Calvinist. Although some people use this term this way, it does have a precise theological definition, and “five point Calvinist” is not it. It is a system of theology that stresses the sovereignty of God by minimizing human responsibility, and thus denies that the gospel message includes any sincere offer of mercy to sinners in general.

Fourth question: Correct response is None of the above. Calvinists believe that regeneration is a work of the Holy Spirit by which we are made new or born again. This work of regeneration results in our faith, and through that faith we are justified. (Sorry that the wording of this question was so convoluted. If I had it to do over again, I’d word it differently.)

Fifth question: Well, of course, I think the correct response is A Calvinist. You are allowed to disagree. (And I do know how to spell “biblicist”.)

Any comments? questions?

9. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Spurgeons mistake here is that he assumes that the Arminians believe that God intended to save all men. That is not true. God intended to make salvation possible for all who believe, both before and after the cross. Abraham was justified by faith, but it was made possible by the death atonement of Christ years later.

Applying time issues to eternal/timeless matters such as these can cause great confusion but it in no way supports the Calvinistic premise.