1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How much do you love others?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, Mar 7, 2011.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

I get the impression that I am considered somewhat of a troublemaker here on the BB, because I am always questioning the status quo.
    (Sorry for all the “I”s)

But the status quo needs to questioned, when we(the Church), are in the state that we are in.

Here we have millions of people dying and going to hell all around us and we fight with all our furry to “defend” lent or Palm Sunday.

Something is wrong.

Don’t we realize that “religion”, is sending more people to hell every day, than ever before.
    --------------------------------------------------
    I was grieved when I saw the emotional praise, for a Presbyterian, performing communion on the moon, with a “consecrated communion wafer” and communion wine.

Have we lost our way; Don’t we realize how this reinforces that “Religion saves”.
    In response to the Question in the OP, we need to remember.........
    Proverbs 27:5
    “Open rebuke [is] better than secret love.”

Do we really love each other, if we stand by and say nothing, when we see people drowning in sentimentality and shallowness.

I know that this is not going to be received well here, but let it sink in, before responding.
    Every time I receive a hateful response, I remember what Jesus said......
    Luke 6:26
    “Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.”

Man up(even you women), and take a stand for the true Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.....
    Jude 1:3
    “Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort [you] that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.”

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes something, actually a lot is wrong. Far too many forget that faith without works is dead. Their stance is if your theology, your head beliefs are right then you are all right. They forget or purposely ignore Christ's teaching and examples of how we are to treat others. They forget or purposely ignore that Christ spent little time telling us what to believe but did spend the majority of his time and teaching on how we are to treat each other, the stranger and, yes, even the enemy. Why? Because his teaching are hard to live. Arguing over beliefs is easy and actually requires nothing of us.

Have you noticed how often Paul is quoted and how seldom Christ is quoted ... and how if you quote Christ you are often attacked.

Yes, now like you, I will duck the cyber-stones that will be thrown.
    :jesus:

#2 Crabtownboy, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2011
  3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I have to agree with you. There is a worldly saying that love does not let a friend drive drunk. The same is with truth. Love does not let a brother to continue to believe false doctrine through silence. While we cannot stop them we can tell them and that is all we can do even with the tongue lashing that is received. This idea of letting everyone continue in what ever way they see fit to keep the peace is not biblical.
    I can testify that I have gained a great deal of understanding from many of the threads here even in the mist of strong debate. One lesson is to tone it down and yet speak truth. I find that very difficult to find level ground where I am not compromising while I am saying what i understand. I pray that I am always open to truth no matter how much I have to surrender to acquire it.

#3 freeatlast, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2011
  4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What in the world is wrong with an astronaut celebrating communion on the moon? Was there an accompanying sermon about how doing so is salvific that I missed?

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Why would this cause you grief? Can communion only be taken in the church building? Wouldn't that restriction be considered "religion"?

I see nothing wrong with communion on the moon or anywhere else for that matter as long as it's taken by a believer.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Here is a video of what was to have taken place with the communion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zEZvPg1itw Not thee video but one portraying the event.
    As long as the believer is in good standing and offering this in the Spirit of worship it matters not where it is done.

7. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hello InTheLight & Amy.G

It wasn’t the communion service that bothered me, but the fact that Presbyterians are suppose to be our brothers and sisters in Christ, so what in the world are they doing getting their preacher to “consecrate” communion “wafers” and wine.

consecrate
    1. To declare or set apart as sacred: consecrate a church.
    2. a. To produce the ritual transformation of (the elements of the Eucharist) into the body and blood of Jesus. b. To sanctify (bread and wine) for use in Communion. c. To initiate (a priest) into the order of bishops.

For believers, the Lord’s Supper is a memorial service, where you take some unleavened bread and some grape juice and follow the instructions in 1 Corinthians 11:23-26.

It’s the RCC that makes “communion” a means for salvation; And in the same way that it bothers me to see all the millions of Catholic children come out to see the Pope, it also grieves me to see this kind of ceremonialism, lifted up as a “Christian” activity.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Was the term "consecrate" used by Aldrin or the author of the article? Remember that oftentimes, someone might use a different terminology going by what they know. After all, at the wedding we were at on Saturday, my husband was called "Father". LOL That doesn't mean that he actually goes by that title but it's what someone used to refer to him.