1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How much do you tip?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by LadyEagle, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On a local note, a San Francisco resturant lost a case involving how they accounted for their employees' tips. The Courts held (IIRC this went all the way to the Supreme Court) that the IRS could use a statisical method (e.g. 15 per cent of the gross receipts) to figure the amount of tips their wait staff received during a year. The employer was then required to withhold taxes based on that rate and to pay the employer's portion of the various payroll (SSI, et. al.) taxes.

So, like it or not, your server is going to get dinged for poor service one way or another. :(

[ October 02, 2002, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: The Squire ]

2. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

15-20%, depending on the service. 15% is the "standard" rate.

Rev. G

3. I agree with stubborn kelly on this. I have always thought that it was wrong to have to pay waiters and waitresses a tip because they make low wages. I shouldn't have to be expected to make up for it with a tip.

It also seems strange to me that people are supposed to pay 10% or "whatever" amount. If it is a better meal, what did the waitress have to do with that? The cook is the one who really slaved making the meal. Also, all the waitress really does, in my opinion is write your order down and bring the plate to you. I do that PLUS make supper every night and I never get a tip [​IMG]

There are so many other jobs that people do for us, like grocery clerks who run all of our purchases through and add things up on the register... and many jobs like that but they don't get a tip. I guess I just wonder why waiters and waitresses are singled out for the special treatment?

I feel like prices are so high these days that we can barely afford to go out to eat, much less have to make up for someone else's low wages.

As far as the "witnessing" aspect of it goes, I would hate to think that somebody's idea of Religion is so low that they have to be "bought off" by leaving tips.

Claudia

4. Jim Ellis

Jim Ellis New Member

Hey, don't forget to tip the pizza drivers like me! I make $6.75 per/hr. I only get to work 25-30 hrs a week. My paycheck is what pays the rent and other bills each month. I only get $.75 per del. stop. from pizza shop. My tips and delivery commissions pay for gas, repair, and eats and various other things! Without tips I would be in sad shape! [​IMG] :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

[ October 02, 2002, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Jim Ellis ]