1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How much hate can a Christian have?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Sep 30, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/...sten%2fwow-554278.html&registrationSourceId=4

There is an episode in the WOTM archives called "wow" that you should hear. In it Todd interviews Shirley Phelps who claims to be a Christian, but I believe to be a phony. The woman is filled with hate, even claims that Todd is not a Christian, interrupts him constantly, makes all kinds of rude remarks and is just a terrible person to hear.

But.... if Shirley is a true believer how much hate can a real christian have? I'd say its minimal. Sure some christians do have hate, but to be filled with hate makes one a false convert, or at least walking in sin, which is not something the Holy Spirit will tolerate for long. However this Shirley Phelps seems t be constantly filled with hate, as Todd has had her on the show more than once and each time she acts the same.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no desire to listen to Shirley Phelps.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What does she hate?

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How much hate should a Christian have? Quite a bit, evidently.

Psalm 97:10 Ye that love the LORD, hate evil: he preserveth the souls of his saints; he delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked.

Psalm 101:3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

Psalm 119:104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
    Psalm 119:113 I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love.

Psalm 119:128 Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.

Psalm 119:163 I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love.

Psalm 139:21 Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

Psalm 139:22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Ecclesiastes 3:8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So do you think those verses tell us to hate a person(s) or a mindset?
    ...you know the saying , "love the person - hate the sin" ?

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most hate the conduct. Hate evil. Hate lying. But at least a couple say "hate them" indicating the persons.

• Like Like x 1
  7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes we need to hate evil, hate every false way and such. This helps to explain why I sent out so many tracts and letters to false churches because I hate every false way.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After Todd said he would never have her on the show again.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After Todd said he would never have her on the show again.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 5:43-44
    “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”

Matthew 6:24
    “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

Matthew 24:10
    At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another.

Luke 1:71
    Salvation from our enemies, And from the hand of all who hate us;

Luke 6:22
    Blessed are you when men hate you, and ostracize you, and insult you, and scorn your name as evil, for the sake of the Son of Man.

Luke 6:27
    “But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

Luke 14:26
    “If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple.

Luke 16:13
    No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.”

John 7:7
    The world cannot hate you, but it hates Me because I testify of it, that its deeds are evil.

Romans 7:15
    For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.

Revelation 2:6
    Yet this you do have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

Revelation 17:16
    And the ten horns which you saw, and the beast, these will hate the harlot and will make her desolate and naked, and will eat her flesh and will burn her up with fire.

Being unwilling to forgive those who trespass against us suggests a lack of humility and perhaps a lack of love for Christ. I think it would be difficult to pray for forgiveness as we forgive others, if we have not.

BTW, Luke 14:26 is thought to be hyperbole, using hate to refer to the lesser of two affections. The idea being we are to love Jesus above all, and no other relationship should hinder our love of Christ.

#10 Van, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As much as anyone else.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron you better explain your reply.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The difference between Ms. Phelps and a Christian is what we “hate” is determined by the One we love. To love righteousness is to hate unrighteousness. To love life is to hate death. To love good is to hate evil. How we "hate" is determined by our love itself (we love God which as a consequence means we hate ungodly things). But Ms. Phelps brand of hate has absolutely no redeeming or godly quality to it. She simply hates. I agree with you. She seems to be filled with darkness rather than the Light.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It requires no explanation. Your question was, How much hate can a Christian have?

Maybe your question is, How much hate may a Christian have? The answer is just as simple. To be acceptable to God, he may have none. Good luck with that.