1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Much Love is Enough?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Aaron, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

How much love is enough? As much love as it takes to influence ones will in consistent obedience in accordance to God’s Word.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are really paranoid about this HP.
    Everyone, and I mean everyone on this board (except the cults, the Charismatics, and you) are Calvinists. Quick go hide! A Calvinist might come and get you. :)

3. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I figured I would throw my two cents out.

The Law requirement of Love is not an amount, but a perfect love. We fail. And thus break the Law. God's Love is perfect Love and it fulfilled the Law requirement in His life on earth.

Therefore by faith in Christ alone Christ's perfect requirements of the entire Law were fulfilled making us righteous by His work.

We are no longer obligated to keep the Law (to be saved). It isn't even about Christ filling in the gaps IMO. It is by our life being completely covered by perfect righteousness imputed by Faith.

Now this is vital- We are now free from the Law and under grace.. changed internally making us Free from the Law.. True Liberty and Freedom! to do what? nothing other than serve and Love God and keep His commands with no obligations or requirements but with a pure and true heart of worship.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

>The Law requirement of Love is not an amount, but a perfect love. We fail. And thus break the Law.

This is a psychological crutch. I know that I continually fail but I can feel better if I also know that everyone else also fails. This gives me hope that God grades on a curve . . . or I can convince myself that I am perfect "in Christ," another bail out.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a faithless and apostatical statement.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mostly agree, but the question is, how much love is required to fulfill the law? HP and BR are saying it doesn't have to be a perfect love. I'm asking them to justify that statment by the Scriptures.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Torah demands repentance, not perfection.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The law demands love, Deut. 6:5, Lev. 19:18, 34.

9. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Oh, no, no, no! You don't get to take it back or change it in any way! You made my day with that and I'm keeping it. Might have to change my sig to reflect it. :laugh: I've been called lots of things on this board before but Calvinist was never one of them! :laugh:

However. You seem to be struggling under a heavy load there of impossibility and I don't mean about me being Calvinist. Why wold you thing that a merciful God would expect us imperfect humans to be able to love like He can?

10. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: The truth is: I never once called you a Calvinist. Sorry to shed the truth on the 'martyr crown' or 'Calvinistic crown' or whatever it is that you seem bent on placing upon your own head of your own making.

HP: How’s that??

HP: God is not a taskmaster. He requires nothing out of us we cannot fulfill with the help He proffers if we are willing to yield ourselves to His commands.

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: If you want to be right, you need to start with being truthful.:wavey:

Where have I ever stated or implied that " it does not have to be a perfect love???"

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was implied in post 21.

13. Heavenly Pilgrim

Aaron, I hate to be the one that tells you, but you are simply wrong. I implied no such thing.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    change the word from "consistent" to "perfect" and I'll believe you.

15. Heavenly Pilgrim

I need to change nothing. It is you that needs to retract the untrue statement you made.:thumbsup:

#35 Heavenly Pilgrim, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2010