1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How much money do MV's bring in VS how much money does KJV bring in?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Ivon Denosovich, Feb 8, 2008.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Please check your sources. Your statement is incorrect - I have a Gideon NKJV right in front of me.

#21 NaasPreacher (C4K), Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008
  2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Unless they have changed it in the last few years it is what the local coordinator here told us at our Church as we were looking to fund a local mission work in our city and county. It was approved by the Church because of the evidence that he presented to us. If this has changed then our congregation needs to know about it. As they will want to know that their money is being used wisely or with full disclosure. I for one have not seen any other version beside the KJV in our area with the Gideon name on it.

#22 Palatka51, Feb 12, 2008
  3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I'm sorry and your point is?

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Why one version over another version?

While I am not necessarily a fan of any particular version, there has to be some reason why first, the KJV for almost 400 years, and now, the NIV rose to far surpass the other versions both were contemporary with. The Geneva Bible is technically roughly the equal of the KJV. As Pete Rose might offer, "Wanna' bet that virtually none of your contemporaries carry a GB around?"

Likewise the paraphrases. The 'Phillips' is every bit as good, if not better, than is the Living Bible, of Dr. Taylor. I suggest you will easily find five who pack a Living Bible before you will find one who is carrying a Phillips around.

And the NIV vs, say, the RSV. Any real question as to which one you will see more of?

Ed

#24 EdSutton, Feb 12, 2008
  5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Just clarifying what was said.

Ed

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Don't know how I can prove it to you, but they are published in a brown hardcover.

I also have a blue NT from the Gideons in English that is neither KJV or NKJV and I don't recognise it.

This is one reason David Cloud is critical of them

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/gideons-modernvers.html

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

As I understand the facts that I have at hand I posted no untruth. If these facts as I know them are inaccurate then I apologize.

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I don't care. You'll not find any of them in my hands. You can carry what you want. I was saved from the preaching of the KJV. It is what I know to be true. I do not trust any other. I am stupid that way so call me a fool and have your laugh. I will not disparage you nor others for what they read.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean when you say :"I don't recognize it." ? You don't think it is a valid version ? You don't know the name of the version ?

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I just don't know which version was used. It doesn't say which one, but I read Romans 1v1-5 and compared it to the KJV and the NKJV and it did not exactly match either one.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think you will find anyone who was saved from the preaching of the NIV with your mindset .

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

It may be a Berkley (sp?) translation. I believe that the Gideons also used it for a while.
    I know for a fact that I have seen NKJV Gideon Bibles and I am fairly certain I saw a Gideon NIV at a hotel once because I remember pointing it out to my wife.

13. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

C4K You are an honorable man and there is much that I can learn from your wisdom. I will indeed look into it and I love you with all of my brotherly heart.

14. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The churches that I referenced have their own printing ministry. They buy the paper and the ink and print their own Bibles to be given away. It is purely a ministry with no printer/publisher making a penny off of them.

15. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bibles printed by these local church ministries are just the text. They are all KJVs to the best of my knowledge.

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

That is wonderful. But, if it is used as an argument to favor the KJV only position it is a weak (lame too) one. Plus, it brings into question the motive. Are we giving Bibles away or are we giving them away to prove a point. My goodness to get upset and to quit supporting the Gedion ministry which has reached thousands of people for the gospel and continues to do so to this day just because they have placed Bibles other than the KJV points out the narrowmindedness of some. Surely God is not pleased with such a legalistic and divisive attitude.

17. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Ok, here is the crux of my stance.
    I am a simple man. I understand things in simple terms.
    I am not a scholar. I trust what I have been taught and I have been taught from the KJV.
    If I were in the shoes of one that received Christ from a MV I would have a similar stance on my MV. So now we are at an impasse. You'll have to pry the KJV out of my cold dead hands. And likewise if I held a MV. I am not one of these that point the finger and yell that reading a MV is going to send a soul to Hell. I only bring up the question what is the motivation of the mega printing houses that put out MV after MV.
    Like I said above, I understand things in simple terms. If you line up a large number of people and whisper a phrase to the first person and that person repeats it to the next and that one to the next and so on until the end and the last person to hear it recites what he hears and it is totally different from what was said to the last person in line.
    Now if you write the same phrase on paper and have them pass it down to each person to the end, the phrase will remain consistent throughout the line. Which is what was needed to be done in those times as is explained in the Preface of the KJV here.
    http://www.ccel.org/bible/kjv/preface/pref1.htm
    Now take that same note and give each person a pen and paper and tell them that they are to analyze each and every word of that phrase. They can make adjustments to the phrase to their understanding of each word as they feel necessary. You will soon have a version of the original that has no similarity to it in any shape or manner.
    Now doesn't it stand to reason that the original note is the true source of it's original meaning?
    I am not giving you any reason for you to put down your MV. I am explaining why I as a person that has given my life to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ am willing to stand so solid on the KJV. If you are willing to stand with me then let's stand together as there seems to be plenty of room. If you wish to stand on a MV you have my blessing and who knows, it just may stand the test of time and blood. Your convictions and stand on the Saving Grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus the Christ the Son of the Living God is shared even though I carry a KJV and you carry a MV.
    Now let's go into this world and spread some Grace aground.

#37 Palatka51, Feb 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2008
  18. KeithS

KeithS New Member

As I recall from years ago, the Gideons (at least in this area) would provide pocket size New Testaments with different color covers which represent different age/reading levels. If they hand Bibles out to elementary age children they get a green Bible, college age get a red Bible, etc. I have a green and a red. The red was a KJV but I don't recall what the green was, but I know it was not KJV and I don't believe it was NKJV either. It may have been an RSV. I believe military gets black (I don't know the version). Perhaps the version is not related to the cover color as some web sites indicate color cover is related to recipient. Anyway, you get the picture.

19. Orion41

Orion41 New Member

Gideon correction

In several places in this (very old) discussion the Gideons are mentioned. As a correction the Gideons distribute more than just the KJV, although that is still prevalent. The first Bibles were placed in hotels in 1908 and it's grown from there. The ASV was distributed for a while in the 1920's at least, and even the NIV for a few years in the 1980's (a mistake we're told won't happen again). The Revised Berkeley edition was distributed for a while as well. There may have been others, I'm not sure. Currently the Gideons distribute the KJV, NKJV, and the CEV Bibles, but in the New Testaments I believe it's just the KJV and NKJV, but I'm not sure.

Keep in mind that it costs on average $5 to produce one of these Bibles, less for the KJV more for the others, and we could distribute more if we had more money (about $1.35 for a New Testament). Printing a more expensive translation means fewer copies of God's Word being distributed.

By the way, by "a mistake that won't happen again" I mean that the Gideons receive a lot of our funding from churches that do not support this translation. Also, the fees for printing this translation are more than others, and newer versions of the NIV (NIRV & NIVI for example) include gender-neutral language which is just simply offensive to some Christians, including myself. That said, my wife uses an NIV study Bible and she's the most Godly woman I know.

And "ditto" to Palatka.

:godisgood:

#39 Orion41, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008
  20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Thanks, Orion for setting the record straight. Our home church proudly supports the Gideons as well as Bearing Precious Seed. Both great ministries.