1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How much of a role?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by franklinmonroe, Dec 10, 2008.

?
  1. Fully God (Man was merely an instrument)

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Mostly God, but Man had some input in places

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. About equal, half God & half Human

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mostly Human, but God did some directing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fully Human (God took no direct part)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Both fully God & fully Human

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. Uncertain/None of the above/Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Thus, that is why I qualified it with the adjective 'Biblical'. Docetism, the denial of the humanity of the divine Messiah, could be placed parallel with the denial of the human aspects of the divine scriptures.

I agree that this is a difficult topic. Yes, "For David himself said by the Holy Ghost" (Matthew 12:36) and "which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake" (Acts 1:16); because "holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost" (2 Peter 1:21).

How would you then interpret John 5:46&47 which seems to indicate that the Torah was 'written' by Moses and distinguishes them from Jesus' own words? (KJV) --

For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
    But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?​

#61 franklinmonroe, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
  2. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

A.A. Hodge wrote in answer to the question: What is meant by "plenary inspiration"? --
    A divine influence full and sufficient to secure its end. The end in this case secured is the perfect infallibility of the Scriptures in every part, as a record of fact and doctrine both in thought and verbal expression. So that although they come to us through the instrumentality of the minds, hearts, imaginations, consciences, and wills of men, they are nevertheless in the strictest sense the word of God. ("The Inspiration of the bible" from Outlines of Theology, 1860)​

#62 franklinmonroe, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
  3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Moses wrote of Jesus but under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. How else could Jesus put this? It would be strange to say, "I wrote of me." Plus, Jesus never glorified himself.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with your parallel of Docetism with a certain Biblical view. It's a misuse of the word - Docetism specifically has to do with Jesus Christ and you just can't apply it to something else. As a Lit major and a writer, I'm pretty picky about words.