1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How much of the Bible do we actually have today?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Daniel David, May 29, 2003.

1. Arubian Baptist

Arubian Baptist New Member

That sure sound interessting, now I don't want to burst your bubble, but I more or les remember that unbelievers tried to slice in part of the socalled "corrupt" text.

That might be the explanation?

2. Archangel7

Archangel7 New Member

The explanation for what? I'm not clear on what you're asking about.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

24 hour notice. Let's wrap this up and STAY ON TOPIC.

4. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Luke 11:2 on the KJV is found in 40 manuscripts, but part of this verse on modern versions was omitted by 13 manuscripts. The KJV won!

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent insight! I hadn't thought of it from this perspective before.

God has preserved the text for every generation even though there are some varients in order that the message of scripture would not be lost.

Thanks for posting. [​IMG]

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Actually, the number of documents you find do not support your view at all. If the first was wrong, and all the copies of that are identical, then they are all wrong.

The bottom line of this particular issue is whether or not you believe in number superiority or age superiority (the earliest documents).

Btw, you have started with your conclusion. That is circular reasoning. You assume that the CT omits verses. It is more likely (esp. John 5:4, 1 John 5:7, Romans 8:1(b), and others have been added).

I can just as easily say the KJV adds verses (which is what has actually happened - thus violating the command to not add anything to God's word).

7. AV Defender

AV Defender New Member

Add?? What about taking away(!?)(Rev 22:19)from God's word? Satan quotes Scripture in Luke 4:10;he quoted Psalms 91:11 to the Lord Jesus Christ. BUT ,he omits four words! Now,you will find that the ASV,NASV,RSV,NRSV,and the NIV is also guilty of omission in the same chapter;look at Luke 4:4,they omit "but by every word of God." So it would appear that Satan is interested in omitting from God's word;consider Mark 4:15.

8. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Actually, the number of documents you find do not support your view at all. If the first was wrong, and all the copies of that are identical, then they are all wrong.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I have list (names) of MSS on Luke 11:2 that is how I counted 40 MSS.

9. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Please show me verses that the KJV added. I will check on lists of MSS if the KJV has or does not have.

10. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Add?? What about taking away(!?)(Rev 22:19)from God's word? Satan quotes Scripture in Luke 4:10;he quoted Psalms 91:11 to the Lord Jesus Christ. BUT ,he omits four words! Now,you will find that the ASV,NASV,RSV,NRSV,and the NIV is also guilty of omission in the same chapter;look at Luke 4:4,they omit "but by every word of God." So it would appear that Satan is interested in omitting from God's word;consider Mark 4:15. </font>[/QUOTE]Let me give you the manuscript evidence on Luke 4:4 has "but by every word of God."

A, D, E, F, G, H, K, M, S, U, V, Gamma, Delta, Theta, Lambda, Pi, Psi, 0102, 0116, family 1, 13, a, aur, b, c, d, e, f, ff2, l, q rl, Vulg., peshitta, harc., (ba-pt) Goth, Arm, (Eth), Y, Omega, 047, 055, 0211, 0233?

Only 8 manuscripts supporting modern versions on Luke 4:4 without "but by every word of God."

The KJV won!

11. AV Defender

AV Defender New Member

I know;it always has and will.

12. Forever settled in heaven

n, to recall Archangel's quote fr the KJB1611, pray tell us who won on the following:

- Judges 19:2 - "Or, a yeere and foure moneths. Heb. dayes, foure moneths"

- Ezra 10:40 - "Or, Mabnadebai, according to some copies"

- Psalm 102:3 - "Or, (as some reade) into smoke"

- Matthew 1:11 - "Some reade, Iosias begate Iakim, and Iakim begat Iechonias"

- Matthew 26:26 - "Many Greeke copies haue, gaue thanks."

- Mark 7:3 - "Or, diligently, in the originall, with the fist: Theophilact, up to the elbowe."

- Luke 10:22 - "Many ancient copies adde these words, And turning to his Disciples he said"

- Luke 17:36 - "This 36. verse is wanting in most of the Greek copies"

- Acts 25:6 - "Or, as some copies reade, no more then eight or ten dayes"

- Ephesians 6:9 - "Some reade, both your, and their master"

- James 2:18 - "Some copies reade, by thy workes"

- 1 Peter 2:21 - "Some reade, for you"

- 2 John 8 - "Or, gained. Some copies reade, which yee haue gained, but that ye receiue &c.

in case u missed it, note the text crit on Lk 17:36!

:eek:

13. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Luke 17:36 on the KJV is found in 29 manuscripts. Only 28 manuscripts supporting modern versions omitted Luke 17:36.

The KJV still won.

14. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I know;it always has and will. </font>[/QUOTE]Me too! [​IMG]

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Before people take the number of mss as the indicator of a "winner", remember that witnesses are weighed, not counted. 50 people who tell a lie are not truthful because 50 people do so as opposed to the 3 who are telling the truth, for instance.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Due to recovery, this is it for me tonight, so 22 hours will have to do! Reprise the theme song and roll the credits.