1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How often do you take part in the holy communion?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 12, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Is this important? I mean is it only symbolic or does it really strengthen you spiritually?
    And what do you do if you do not have the chance to do it with others? Simply do it alone?
    But what scares me about this is that Paul mentions that some people have died because they took part in the holy communion and did something wrong. What happens if you take part and forget to confess a sin? Does this mean that you take a curse upon yourself?
    This sounds really scary. What if you have done this in the past and aren't even aware of it? I mean I don't remember all my sins and if I imagine that I took part in the holy communion right now then I don't know if I could quickly confess all sins before eating the bread and drinking the vine.:confused:

2. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

We have Communion every two weeks. Before having Communion, I confress my sins quietly to God, including "all the sins I've committed since the last time I've asked for forgiveness of sins." I don't remember everything I did, either, so I say that.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church takes communion every two months, though we have extended it to three months on certain occasions.

4. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Onced a week for myself, frequency is a matter of freedom. My philosophy is I need continual reminders of God's Grace so I recieve it as often as possible.

5. mman

mman New Member

On the first day of the week (Acts 20:7).

6. bmerr

bmerr New Member

xdisciplex,

bmerr here. Every first day of the week, just as the early church (Acts 20:7).

In Christ,

bmerr

7. gekko

gekko New Member

however often we do it - thats when.

wether it be twice a month - every week - once a month. etc.

8. FollowMeHome

FollowMeHome New Member

Catholics can receive Holy Communion as often as possible provided they are free of mortal sin. Could be several times a day or more.

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Weekly and more frequently if I can get to Holy Mass.

Frequent confession is a great consolation.

10. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Cor 11:25-26
    This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

( as Often as = Hosakis)

Acts 20:7
    And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

We break the Bread and drink Wine in Remembrance of our Lord Jesus Christ who shed the Blood and died at the Cross, once every week, on the first day of the week.

11. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

We partake quarterly I think. We also have to take into consideration why Paul says what he does about the practice...some apparently were eating it b/c they were hungry or thirty and getting drunk, etc...wrong motives. I think Paul is showing us that its a serious event.

12. gekko

gekko New Member

followmehome...

umm... im not catholic... thanks for those verses eliyahu!

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Some may have been 40 :laugh: :laugh:

Your right about the getting drunk and only the rich who could afford to bring communion would partake. Is this like the old testament eating the sacrifice (just a big BBQ)? Man will be Man!

We take communion every first Sunday and the entire month of November. Though November is our come as you are month, I try to focus on the communion each Sunday.

14. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

What happens if you cannot take it so often? Does this mean you cannot grow spiritually?

And what happens if I have taken it in the past and forgotten to confess my sins before it? I don't know if I always did this. Sometimes in the house meeting this happens very quickly and without having much time. Sometimes somebody simply pulls out the vine and bread and then you hardly have time left to pray or to even collect your thoughts.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

We had members with this same complaint, after 11:00 service, the associate ministers takes communion to those who could not make it to church (sick, elderly etc...). One member sounded just like you about how fast they were in and out. We now divide the list with deacons also which gives each person less visits to make.

16. bmerr

bmerr New Member

xdisciplex,

bmerr here. Acts 20:7 indicates that the disciples met to break bread, which refers to the partaking of the Lord's Supper, on the first day of the week. Since every week has a first day, they met every first day of the week. It is to be the "center-piece" of NT worship. To do more or less is to disregard God's blueprint for the church, which is the NT.

As far as not confessing one's sins before taking communion, I believe you refer to 1 Cor 11:27-29, correct? I've had questions about this passage, as well. If one had to be sinless in order to take communion "worthinly", then I could never partake. I don't think that's what Paul was getting at.

Someone else made the point about the Corinthians' motives while partaking of the Lord's Supper, and I think they were right on target. The Lord's Supper is a memorial of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, the payment required for my sins. Like anyone else, I generally do my best to live according to the NT, but I fail, and stumble, and mess up, and sin, just like everyone else does.

For me to partake in the memorial of the suffering of Christ, and to do so in a shameful, perhaps even drunken state, as may have been the case with the Corinthians, would be for me to dishonor the memory of my Savior. I would not be focused on His suffering and agony, which my sin cost Him. It would be to "eat this bread, and drink this cup unworthily", and to be "guilty of the body and blood of the Lord".

However, if I partake of the Lord's Supper, recalling, perhaps even reading, the account of His suffering, being mindful of my shortcomings, and their cost, and renewing my determination to live more faithfully in the coming days, then my attitude would be correct, and the memory of Christ's agony will have been honored.

It's a wonder more tears are not shed during the Lord's Supper.

Good question, sir.

In Christ,

bmerr

17. genesis12

genesis12 Member

1Co 11:26-34, expanded version....

Every time you eat this bread and drink from this cup, you tell about the Lord's death until he comes. Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks from the Lord's cup unworthily (insincerely, irreverently, disrespectfully, without spiritual forethought and reverence) will be held responsible for (disrespecting) the (observance of the) Lord's body and blood. With this in mind, individuals must determine whether what they are doing is proper when they eat the bread and drink from the cup. Anyone who eats and drinks is eating and drinking a judgment (disciplinary action from the Lord) against himself when he doesn't recognize (that he is being disrespectful of) the (holy observance of the) Lord's body. This is the reason why many of you are weak and sick and quite a number of you have died. If we were judging ourselves correctly (spiritually taking into account our relationship with Jesus Christ before and during the observance), we would not be judged (disciplined). But the Lord disciplines us so that we won't be condemned along with the rest of the world. Therefore, brothers and sisters, when you gather to eat, (here are some basics): Wait for each other. Whoever is hungry should eat at home so that you don't have a gathering that brings judgment (chastisement) on you (individually and corporately). I will give directions concerning the other matters when I come.

Note that the very persons who had carelessly participated in the observance before are still brothers and sisters in Christ. "Unworthiness" is not talking about a particular sin or group of sins which may have been committed by an individual, but about the importance of the attitude, the understanding, the comprehension of the significance of the observance, as opposed to approaching it and participating in it carelessly, 'aspiritually', if you will. Yes, confess your sin / sins. Yes, prayerfully approach the observance. Your spiritual presence, your spiritual attitude during the observance is the key, not something you did last week or last month or last year or whenever and forgot about, therefore forgot to confess it. :thumbs:

#17 genesis12, Jun 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2006
  18. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But if you have partaken in it in a shameful way and later on your realize it can you repent or will you have to face some punishment?

19. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Done something shameful?

Yes, praise God, He is always there, and you can repent. Sin, and past-present-future sins were forgiven and forgotten at the Cross. When you realize that your behavior during the observance was "shameful," run to Him in prayerful repentance, not to be "saved again," but to restore moment-by-moment fellowship, with Him in the driver's seat. See 1 John 1:9, and the peace that passes all understanding is yours. :thumbs:

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ours is offered one Sunday a month, at the evening celebration service. The bad thing is, if you miss that, it could be months between doing it. I have missed the last three months, so It's been a while!