1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How often have you missed church for illness?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by annsni, Feb 25, 2012.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hubby will be missing church for the first time tomorrow. Well, first time since we started this new campus in September of '10. Poor guy is down with a stomach virus and there is NO way anyone wants him around them. I'm even contemplating sleeping on the couch because *I* don't want to be around him!!

OK, I admit that this is one time that the video message will come in handy. ;) We have my daughter leading worship to backing tracks instead of hubby doing the music and leading with her. One of our deacons will do the pastoral prayer and kind of "lead" the service.

So how many times over the years have you had to miss church? What kind of back-up have you had in place? Tomorrow would be tricky if hubby were preaching because the guy who is our back-up is going to one of the other campuses to do the children's ministry so we'd be up a creek.

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am the backup at our church. It is my calling.

Any Pastor needs to have an associate or someone he can trust to preach a Gospel message if he is sick or on a family emergency. I hope that your husband has such a person who is "the backup".

I hope your hubby gets feeling better!

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I've missed one or two times, and WAY more often have preached when I was desperately ill.

I have likely missed more church when I was sick of IT than when I was just plain sick in my body. :laugh:

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't remember ever taking a sick day for church or work - but I'm out today.

I spent the morning at the doc's Saturday and slept most of the rest of the day and night.

I'm a bit worried about work on Monday.

Church starts in a bit... I think I'll head back to bed.

Rob

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably missed church because I was sick less than 5 times. The last time was 3 years ago because of pneumonia. I couldn't get out of bed even if I had wanted to.

Like glfrederick, I have preached too often when sick. I wonder how many people I have kept out of church in subsequent weeks because I infected them.:( :confused:

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My dh has missed about 3 times for illness in 8 years. This morning was one of those times.

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I think maybe twice in the last eight years...but I was sick, and I have trusted men to stand in.

8. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 20 years: twice because of illness, once when my Mama died and 20 times for deer season.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Several yrs ago I had scheduled a revival at church-----the speaker came and everything was ready-----then I came down with a stomach virus----and missed the whole week of services!!!

Man----I wouldn't wish the stomach virus on anyone except Hillary Clinton and Nancy Palosi!!!!!:thumbs::thumbs:

10. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

I missed church last night to watch the Daytona 500.:eek:

John

11. 238480

238480 New Member

I'm not a pastor, but I'm the back-up. I guess I've missed church for sickness a little less often than I've missed work for sickness. I've been a teacher for the past two and a half years now (so.... 400 days) and I've missed work because I was too sick about twice. During that same span, we've had about 400 church services (3 a week, plus a few special services) and I only recalling missing one church service.

Personally, I think that's the way it should be. Ask yourself, "if this were a work day, would I go to work?" and if the answer is yes, then you had better go to church or else your actions tell God that he isn't all that important to you.

12. PeterM

PeterM Member

In my current pastorate... only one Wednesday. I have back-up, but have been able to preach ill. Now, if I get the stomach bug... I will stay home.